Beta or no?

Started by ktboi, Jan 19, 2018, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktboi

Should a private server even do a beta phase? Or should they go straight for launch?

Most beta phase requires wiping afterwards from what I know of.

SukiChii

If you need guinea pigs, go for a beta.

Cian

Quote from: ktboi on Jan 19, 2018, 09:43 PM
Should a private server even do a beta phase? Or should they go straight for launch?

Most beta phase requires wiping afterwards from what I know of.

My server is currently having it's last day of the beta. I strongly recommend it. A lot of bugs have been reported that i was not able to see/find on my own. https://forum.cianragnarok.com/index.php?/topic/29-beta-information . People don't enjoy a wipe, so shape your beta in a way where everyone understands that a wipe is needed. I made 3 phases 1. everything normal 2. increased exp and drop rates 3. allow @item, @refine, @lvup etc etc.

Yuzo

instead of doing "beta" you should seek out current/former server owners for advice. most of the stuff you need to change is default behavior of your emulator's scripts or config. example, mi gao exploit. if your custom stuff is the issue then work on your processes and improve your skills.

Cian

Quote from: Yuzo on Jan 20, 2018, 06:20 AM
instead of doing "beta" you should seek out current/former server owners for advice. most of the stuff you need to change is default behavior of your emulator's scripts or config. example, mi gao exploit. if your custom stuff is the issue then work on your processes and improve your skills.

That is so untrue. Theres much more to change other than the "scripts or config" or "mi gao exploit" that doesn't even exist anymore since 5 years lol. the fresh rAthena emulator is full of bugs.
Regardless of what this guy said, if you plan a beta -> stick to it.

Yuzo

Quote from: Cian on Jan 20, 2018, 07:18 AM
That is so untrue. Theres much more to change other than the "scripts or config" or "mi gao exploit" that doesn't even exist anymore since 5 years lol. the fresh rAthena emulator is full of bugs.
Regardless of what this guy said, if you plan a beta -> stick to it.
they're features, not bugs.

Insomnia2000

I've always wondered why most servers even do open betas. Just to calm the impatient minority? I feel like onlooking players would see something like 10-15 online and be deterred before they realized the server was in a beta. Plus, what do you think 10-15 players are going to find that your GM staff couldn't find in a closed setting?

Unless you have quite a few custom systems and features (not just custom hat quests / cool healer), I think you'd be better off skipping the "beta", being on point with your main launch, and being capable of solving issues quickly after launch if needed.

Blinzer

not gonna lie meng, i've had an alpha, beta and omega and 3 years, and i'm still not completely ready to open; and i have the ingame skill and knowledge to know what i'm working towards

imagine what these random clowns are doing with their lives opening servers without betas

Wolfeh

It's a good idea if you're 100% new to server administration and if you have custom stuff, if your server is 100% vanilla (no custom scripts or anything) then you'll probably be fine, but if you're not beaming with confidence, I would do a beta. In general beta tests are generally done to check balancing, receive criticism on features or get feedback on possible improvements in general, and to test for bugs. For RO, it would be primarily bugs.

Blinzer

Quote from: Wolfeh on Jan 21, 2018, 01:24 AM
It's a good idea if you're 100% new to server administration and if you have custom stuff, if your server is 100% vanilla (no custom scripts or anything) then you'll probably be fine, but if you're not beaming with confidence, I would do a beta. In general beta tests are generally done to check balancing, receive criticism on features or get feedback on possible improvements in general, and to test for bugs. For RO, it would be primarily bugs.

that's what betas are used for mainly, yes, but it's not what they should be used for. in its most beneficial state, beta testing is used for a game designer to observe his changes in action and doesn't necessarily require feedback from the players. a player's main usefulness in a beta(we're talking average players, not super good players) is to report things that are blatantly wrong or don't work: wrong description tooltips, things not working as intended, or feeling out if things are unreasonably difficult/too easy. the game designer should take time to observe people playing in action to see if his vision of the picture is coming to life, or if there were factors which were overlooked when designing. let's be real though: you shouldn't be beta testing vanilla RO in 2018. there's been 12 years of people before you to do that for you.

emancipate01

My honest opinion, having beta is far better because you can fix things while on it without interrupting your players and not pissing them because you have the rights like "The server is in beta mode expect lots of server restart and stuffs to fix things". Also you can check if you're system is good to go. Even if you have tried it locally, system works fine if its being tried with others.

Jasc

Closed beta works well. If people really want to play your server, have them fill out a form and give you actual feedback. Google Forms is pretty good way to record decent feedback