A few server ideas I'm unsure about, LF feedback

Started by kanemi, Jun 14, 2017, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanemi

So, I have some server ideas that I am not experienced enough to decide if and how to implement them. If I end up having other ideas like this I will post them in this thread, but anyways, here are the ideas. First of all, though, think TalonRO, in that overpowered gears will dominate. This is the type of server that I personally love, and anyways think is most popular for a reason.

1. At the top because I'm most unsure about this one. A freeze deflect card. It could be based on MDEF/Marc card or just bypass it. Basically you use a freeze skill like Frost Joker on an enemy in PvP with this card, and have a chance to freeze yourself. I'm not an experienced WoE player on TalonRO, so I'm not sure how this would fit into the meta. It's the most meta-changing idea I have, so I have to be sure.

2. No gear-switching in PvP/WoE/MVP arena. There will be more options for each gear slot in my server than other servers. I want people to think about how to approach things, and stick to one method. No frantic gear-switching because 1. I don't find it a fun way to play anyways, 2. strategies will constantly switch on the fly and the whole tactics thing is probably ruined then. They can go outside of these areas and switch, true, but that is still more tactical to me then what I currently think goes on.

3. MVP arena. To change things up from regular play, farming mobs, I thought I would implement an MVP arena. Of course drop rates would be significantly reduced. The only thing is I don't know how to implement it. It would cost zeny to get in, more for more party members, and award tickets. A simple solution is to just give zeny back for tickets, but I currently have no way of then stopping people from farming MVPs forever, which would be ideal. Farm mobs sometimes, then head to MVPs for a change of pace. I want the awards to be subtle, nothing like flooding the server with MVP gears once the top party manages to take down the top boss guy. I was thinking, enriched elu and ori, and maybe some gears they would buy.

snakeside

Why would you not want to promote gear switching?

The RO card system makes fast gear switching one of the best of features of RO which separates it from other MMORPGs

kanemi

I'm not really a PvP expert in this game. You're gonna have to give examples of gear switching to me so I understand it better.

But, I have WoE damage numbers turned on in the battle log, if you want them, and only for your character. I want people to be able to figure out what you have on, and build strategies around it. I want there to be a cool meta building process involving the cards on my server. If you just plan for everything, and switch on the fly to block everything, there are no tactics at all, just a really lame way to play a game that mimics the difference between Starcraft and Starcraft II. ZOMG SC2 SUCKS BECUSE U DONT NEED A ZILION APM TO PLSAY IT LOL. Which is a bunch of bs. SCII is a RTS, a STRATEGY game first and foremost. The point of CUSTOMIZATION in these games is the same thing, to plan tactics. I don't want people having or being able to click a button to block a freeze, then click a button to block an asura, etc. Know what I'm saying? This isn't Dark Souls.

noheal

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 14, 2017, 10:50 PM
I'm not really a PvP expert in this game. You're gonna have to give examples of gear switching to me so I understand it better.

But, I have WoE damage numbers turned on in the battle log, if you want them, and only for your character. I want people to be able to figure out what you have on, and build strategies around it. I want there to be a cool meta building process involving the cards on my server. If you just plan for everything, and switch on the fly to block everything, there are no tactics at all, just a really lame way to play a game that mimics the difference between Starcraft and Starcraft II. ZOMG SC2 SUCKS BECUSE U DONT NEED A ZILION APM TO PLSAY IT LOL. Which is a bunch of bs. SCII is a RTS, a STRATEGY game first and foremost. The point of CUSTOMIZATION in these games is the same thing, to plan tactics. I don't want people having or being able to click a button to block a freeze, then click a button to block an asura, etc. Know what I'm saying? This isn't Dark Souls.

You need to go read Ro mechanics and be solid at it  get all the basic stuff down before you do any changes. Them you can start playing arround whit custome and your own change to it. (Right now if you get some advice and you arent there on the base Ro mecanichs would be a litlte pointless

Let me see.
On your Original post:
1.- nice idea on paper but pointless to be honest and making other people waste their time reading it.
http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=item_db&item_id=536  Item ID# 536 (Ice_Cream) to any freeze skill
a.- Say you have a % chance freeze yourself casting FJ= since all the people and their mothers is inmune to it does nada. them all the clowns cry on forums to make this for all classes, now all wiz freeze themself, and you open that can of worms.
b.-Say you make it pierce inmunity and open that can of worns, Now you relfect all status effects no one is inmune anymore and s*** his the fan.
c.-You really need to know what random changes to s*** does to ALL parts of the game.

2.-If you dont know RO yourself how you plan to limit people to 1 setup that you arent sure what would be to all classes vs all classes, skills, builds. mvps, pvp. Possible hell yea alot of servers do it, but on a diferent way
What they give you is the core setup(sets 3-5 pieces of gear):
what you dont get is that a +4 set is diferent from a +8 from a +10 renewal from a +20 is not all about cards somethings you need special gears and setups and niche jobs and effects, hats effects, self buffs,weapons,cards.

3.-seems like you dont have experience as a player yourself. When you try this type of setups (think like a solo player) most servers are low populations or core teams playing alone or small groups

a.-so most of the time people if they want to mvp they have to support themself, multi account, buff themself. (this means a little mistake=wipe=you have to pay the fee again sad s***)
b.-most players arent really good at the game when they start so they need to practice somewhere. Know the fights, what they can tank what they cant etc etc
c.-MvP arenas as allways open to edits more damage, diferent skills on mvps, what they drop, and how they drop s*** all goes to how long you want people to farm them
d.-Most people add core server quest to mvp drops and add them to the mvp arena so people dont have to deal whit some s*** for 100% drops

Now if you want some real advice to test your suggestions go to talonRo forums and make them. You will get insulted, maybe even baned suggesting stuff on this level.....ones your RO base mechanics are on point and your suggestions makes sense and they actually give some talk to your suggestions them you are into something.

My personal advice would be to find someone you trust that is not shy to tell you how retarded some of the ideas are and can help you filter your ideas whitout killing your creative point of view

kanemi

Quote from: noheal on Jun 15, 2017, 02:31 PM
Let me see.
On your Original post:
1.- nice idea on paper but pointless to be honest and making other people waste their time reading it.
http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=item_db&item_id=536  Item ID# 536 (Ice_Cream) to any freeze skill
a.- Say you have a % chance freeze yourself casting FJ= since all the people and their mothers is inmune to it does nada. them all the clowns cry on forums to make this for all classes, now all wiz freeze themself, and you open that can of worms.
b.-Say you make it pierce inmunity and open that can of worns, Now you relfect all status effects no one is inmune anymore and s*** his the fan.
c.-You really need to know what random changes to s*** does to ALL parts of the game.

I didn't mean just Frost Joker. Any freezing skill, I just used FJ as an example. But to clarify something, everyone and their mother will NOT be freeze immune on my server. Mitigating freeze to a certain extent? Everyone probably will. But immunity will be earned through sacrificing other stats. Hence, it will still be useful to use them BUT there will be this drawback. And the idea is that someone will tank mass freeze skills by giving up a card slot in armor or somewhere else, so that they aren't super spammable.

Quote2.-If you dont know RO yourself how you plan to limit people to 1 setup that you arent sure what would be to all classes vs all classes, skills, builds. mvps, pvp. Possible hell yea alot of servers do it, but on a diferent way
What they give you is the core setup(sets 3-5 pieces of gear):
what you dont get is that a +4 set is diferent from a +8 from a +10 renewal from a +20 is not all about cards somethings you need special gears and setups and niche jobs and effects, hats effects, self buffs,weapons,cards.

Sorry, I'm not really getting what you're saying here.

Quote3.-seems like you dont have experience as a player yourself. When you try this type of setups (think like a solo player) most servers are low populations or core teams playing alone or small groups

a.-so most of the time people if they want to mvp they have to support themself, multi account, buff themself. (this means a little mistake=wipe=you have to pay the fee again sad s***)

They definitely won't have to pay the fee again if they wipe. I intended it that way from the start.

Quoteb.-most players arent really good at the game when they start so they need to practice somewhere. Know the fights, what they can tank what they cant etc etc
c.-MvP arenas as allways open to edits more damage, diferent skills on mvps, what they drop, and how they drop s*** all goes to how long you want people to farm them
d.-Most people add core server quest to mvp drops and add them to the mvp arena so people dont have to deal whit some s*** for 100% drops

Yeah, learning the fights are part of the fun, ne? And I know I'll have to balance them based on how long I want them to be farmed. Some work is in order.

QuoteNow if you want some real advice to test your suggestions go to talonRo forums and make them. You will get insulted, maybe even baned suggesting stuff on this level.....ones your RO base mechanics are on point and your suggestions makes sense and they actually give some talk to your suggestions them you are into something.

Dude I don't care what TalonRO devs say. They are not thinking on my level. The whole point is to provide something different than they are even willing to give their players.

QuoteMy personal advice would be to find someone you trust that is not shy to tell you how retarded some of the ideas are and can help you filter your ideas whitout killing your creative point of view

Let me try to provide some perspective here. Diablo II and III were "retarded" games for a long time on release, before they got expansions. They were riddled with itemization problems that made them nigh impossible to play properly. It was like the devs didn't even play their own games. But what they did for their genre far outweighed the negatives. Of course **** on /v/ spreading hate propaganda would never be able to see that, but the base game for Diablo III for instance was far more valuable than some simple mods to make it playable in the end. I can balance the game over time, I'm willing to do that. But what I'm trying to do here is break a mould. I want a tactical experience with more customization options. Maybe I'll fail at that. But it will be interesting nonetheless. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to RO mechanics, I just don't have the time or money to spend playing TalonRO seriously.

kanemi

And note that, I'm grateful to what TalonRO has done for the game (though I'm not sure how much exactly was taken from other servers, e.g. UltimaRO, then AnimaRO...) But big, sweeping changes like the ones I'm planning are out of the question for them. They are probably happy with the way their game turned out. I am not, not entirely, so I'm here trying to fill a gap. That's all.

noheal

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 15, 2017, 06:06 PM
I didn't mean just Frost Joker. Any freezing skill, I just used FJ as an example. But to clarify something, everyone and their mother will NOT be freeze immune on my server. Mitigating freeze to a certain extent? Everyone probably will. But immunity will be earned through sacrificing other stats. Hence, it will still be useful to use them BUT there will be this drawback. And the idea is that someone will tank mass freeze skills by giving up a card slot in armor or somewhere else, so that they aren't super spammable.
there is nothing I can really say go for it make it and test it.

Sorry, I'm not really getting what you're saying here.
Is all sexy man if you dont get it is cool

They definitely won't have to pay the fee again if they wipe. I intended it that way from the start.
I guess

Yeah, learning the fights are part of the fun, ne? And I know I'll have to balance them based on how long I want them to be farmed. Some work is in order.
I guess

Dude I don't care what TalonRO devs say. They are not thinking on my level. The whole point is to provide something different than they are even willing to give their players.
Dude read it again you want is the active people playing on that setup feedback not the devs lol since for this example your current rates, setups of cards, mvp cards descriptions and gears and anything is based of talonRO so you want feedback of people that know that setup.

Let me try to provide some perspective here. Diablo II and III were "retarded" games for a long time on release, before they got expansions. They were riddled with itemization problems that made them nigh impossible to play properly. It was like the devs didn't even play their own games. But what they did for their respective genre far outweighed the negatives. Of course **** on /v/ spreading hate propaganda would never be able to see that, but the base game for Diablo III for instance was far more valuable than some simple mods to make it playable in the end. I can balance the game over time, I'm willing to do that. But what I'm trying to do here is break a mould. I want a tactical experience with more customization options. Maybe I'll fail at that. But it will be interesting nonetheless. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to RO mechanics, I just don't have the time or money to spend playing TalonRO seriously.
a condor fan? omg http://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
I guess if you think you are on the same levels as my homies of condor?.Go for it and make Ro great again ;=)

kanemi

Quote from: noheal on Jun 15, 2017, 07:47 PM
Dude read it again you want is the active people playing on that setup feedback not the devs lol since for this example your current rates, setups of cards, mvp cards descriptions and gears and anything is based of talonRO so you want feedback of people that know that setup.

Oh. You talking about me getting banned for "suggesting" stuff had me thinking about the suggestions forum. Anyways I don't think asking about my server ideas on there would be allowed.

Quotea condor fan? omg http://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
I guess if you think you are on the same levels as my homies of condor?.Go for it and make Ro great again ;=)

The point is merely that balancing is not as important as new content. Same thing goes for the RoS expansion with the brand new set designs. On a smaller scale, they were a game changer. Balance considerations were secondary.

kanemi

I also want to say that the reason I give the Diablo examples is because they stick out like a sore thumb. I cannot design something on the level of Diablo II, and most certainly not DIII. Even supposing I had the talent I would not have the patience. That's a s***ton of work, I think. Big up to those guys. I just did this server as a bit of fun. Most of the game is already designed for me, so, hah.

noheal

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 15, 2017, 07:52 PM
Oh. You talking about me getting banned for "suggesting" stuff had me thinking about the suggestions forum. Anyways I don't think asking about my server ideas on there would be allowed. 

Yea you are right. That is pretty much what I said. Why not suggesting your freezing reflect card on their forums and see their answers you dont really need to point out is for your own server is just a suggestion.
And yes the second they notice you are up to some odd s*** they will ban you 100%

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 15, 2017, 07:52 PM
The point is merely that balancing is not as important as new content. Same thing goes for the RoS expansion with the brand new set designs. On a smaller scale, they were a game-changer. Balance considerations were secondary.

Not really going to tell someone else how to run their stuff, but just keep in mind something being secondary dosent make it go away lol

kanemi

Quote from: noheal on Jun 15, 2017, 08:27 PM
Not really going to tell someone else how to run their stuff, but just keep in mind something being secondary dosent make it go away lol

Yeah like I said, I'm willing to stay on top of things and balance them as much as I can.

noheal

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 15, 2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah like I said, I'm willing to stay on top of things and balance them as much as I can.

them go and get  the server going, just make it a Mid rate or h rate lol

you can even call it>>>> Nova TAlonRO <<<<< lol

kanemi

Haha. Yeah I considered it. It's technically allowed, right? I mean it's all illegal anyway, so who can complain?

noheal

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 15, 2017, 09:24 PM
Haha. Yeah I considered it. It's technically allowed, right? I mean it's all illegal anyway, so who can complain?

well not really thief got a honor code hahaha it was more of a funny joke ;=)

Kris

Quote from: kanemi on Jun 14, 2017, 10:50 PM
I want there to be a cool meta building process involving the cards on my server.

Good ideas but you can't really change the pre-existing meta of an outdated decade old 2D mmorpg unless you add custom gear and cards, which I've never seen a server do right. Every server that has implemented custom gear/cards have always ended up with imbalanced classes
2k21 Return