A call for help from an old player

Started by Virosh-DalSheron, Oct 11, 2015, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virosh-DalSheron

I played RO for a few years back in the day, and my inspiration has brought me back to a new option, because I possess a huge wealth of old windows and MS-DOS games and intend to archive them for the future, it got me thinking that I should find a way to create self-sustaining virtual machines that are capable of serving as a Ragnarok Online server that people can(if they have the info) log into, but this is more for personal and private use through a network. 

Is there anyone able to consider taking the time to give me a hand in this effort?  I would be grateful for any effort contributed for this.

yC

So you want to create a server and you don't know where to start?

http://forum.ratemyserver.net/client-side-support/we-do-not-provide-support-on-how-to-make-a-server/

Or is there something else you are asking for?

Virosh-DalSheron

The problem isn't just making it, the talent to put it all together exists beyond my control.  I am a design savant with an insurmountable weakness towards coding.  Aide in putting it all together so that running virtual machines with each server component if need be will result in a preserved RO server environent.

Bue

Here is the outline:

1. Install MySQL.
2. Download eAthena, rAthena, or Hercules source from GitHub.
3. Compiled using Autotools or Visual Studios.
4. Load main.sql and log.sql to create server database in MySQL.
5. Modified the conf/ to configure the server's network and database
6. Open login, char, and map ports for server (and router if hosting)
7. Start server using athena-start.
8. Download a client and apply patches using a DIFF tool.
9. Download client files and modified sclientinfo.xml with server ip address and repack using a GRF tool.
10. Add your GRF file to DATA.ini.
11. Create an account by adding a row in the login table.
12. Login and screw with GM commands for a week.

I left out details; rAthena and Hercules wiki has guides for both server and client.

You use different tools for Linux and Windows, but it is very easy to setup.

Virosh-DalSheron

I will bear this in mind.  many thanks.

yC

There is no such thing as a preserved RO server environment in the very long term.  You sound like me running the rms test servers, well I have just learnt that at some point the software will need to be upgraded due to changes in the hardware settings.  Also depend on the version of code you are running, there could be follow-up patches you need to apply for stability/security.

Bue

I thought he was just planning on creating a virtual machine with VMWare or whatever, then saving it away forever. O:

Virosh-DalSheron

Quote from: yC on Oct 11, 2015, 04:58 PM
There is no such thing as a preserved RO server environment in the very long term.  You sound like me running the rms test servers, well I have just learnt that at some point the software will need to be upgraded due to changes in the hardware settings.  Also depend on the version of code you are running, there could be follow-up patches you need to apply for stability/security.
That all depends if you are using virtual machines or not, the guys at Laser Quest cant possibly be operating Windows 3.0 on current hardware these days, virtualization must be playing into it.