[Question] What exactly does developer do? How is it different from a coder?

Started by Mr Chow, Apr 25, 2013, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Chow

What exactly does developer do? How is it different from a coder?

I'm kinda noob to "behind the scenes of ragnarok". So I don't know I bit of anything happening at the back.

Could someone rather explain to me what each person is a ragnarok Dev.Team does?

Thanks in advance  /heh /hmm

yC

Developer sounds much better than coder.  When you say developer that involve planning, designing and writing code to get to the goal.  Coder is just ... well writing code.

They pretty much does a lot of coding.  Maybe a coder just listen to what is needed and code it out?  That's such a dull job.

Hmm I moved this to Server discussion but you didn't mention if this is for RO or general.  I might move this again if you can clarify.

Playtester

I don't even think "coder" is a real work type. =p
Developer isn't really either. More like "Software Developer" if anything.

It's just a matter of dialect.

It's like when you say "cool" but you don't actually mean it's cold but more in the sense of "awesome".

Fruit Pie~

I've always thought "programmer", "developer" and "coder" meant the exact same thing. And "software designer", too, usually means the same.

EDIT : Except when it means "completely unskilled ideas-man who takes credit for everything while doing nothing". Software designers are very common in indie game development forums.

Playtester

A game designer is someone who doesn't code at all. He designs the game... what the story should be, how the world/towns/dungeons should be structured, how the battle system works, characters stats, monster stats, skills, items, stuff like that.

That's different from a software developer. A developer takes these ideas, works out a plan how to realize them (starting with what language / tools to use) and then starts to code it.

In smaller projects the game designer is usually the same as the developer, though. The bigger the team the less the developers are actually allowed to think about the content of what they are coding.

Programmer / coder sounds more like "he just starts writing without planning ahead".
I guess in many countries these terms are also used for people that haven't studied software development.

Renard

Well in Indie Terms a "Developer" without any prefix or specification is kinda a jack of all trades, similar to game designers, its true that a game designer focuses on how the game plays, but usualy these guys are also jack of all trades themselfs just for the reason of knowing what could be possibly done by understanding every part of a game.

On RO Servers its kinda a collective term for productive members of the team, aka the guys/girls getting stuff made, be it a script, a map, a spriter or what so ever.

And on that point, i myself would rather just call myself a Developer instead of listing every damn development branch i work on.

Bue

These titles don't actually mean anything in terms of RO.

Its like 'executive producer' but these titles are just meant to make people feel better about themselves.

In RO, what you're as a 'developer' or someone with skills is based upon what you've actually contributed. (This is due to the fact, that many people abuse the term in RO.)

yC

Then let's talk about what RO developer do vs RO coder.  If there's any different.  For example, we CAN refer Cookie as a "developer" because his job is admin+code+develop for his server.  While for general scripter they obviously qualify for the description of "coder" but they are rarely referred to as developer because ... i don't know maybe they are holding lighter task?  lol yea worth some thinking.

SukiChii

I thought a developer was like a person who created stuff, and the coder as someone who just writes code?

hemagx

let's say !
the coder the who use mes script command to make scripts blah ! so the coder someone use tools to make things xD
the developer the who make mes command so the coder can use to make anything XD !
and my english is so bad :D
bye ~

Bue

Quote from: yC on Apr 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Then let's talk about what RO developer do vs RO coder.  If there's any different.  For example, we CAN refer Cookie as a "developer" because his job is admin+code+develop for his server.  While for general scripter they obviously qualify for the description of "coder" but they are rarely referred to as developer because ... i don't know maybe they are holding lighter task?  lol yea worth some thinking.

Cawli is an exception to these terms since he is already the self proclaim 'god's gift' to the private server community; regardless of whether or not he actually contributed anything.

And there should be a distinction between backend and frontend development. Obviously, backend is more difficult since you're attempting to reverse engineer a proprietary server while frontend is more along the lines of using what is given. Another important distinction should be between those who contribute and those who don't.

Other than these two distinctions, I don't really care what people call themselves.

Cawliflower

Quote from: Bue on Apr 25, 2013, 10:43 PM
Cawli is an exception to these terms since he is already the self proclaim 'god's gift' to the private server community; regardless of whether or not he actually contributed anything.

And there should be a distinction between backend and frontend development. Obviously, backend is more difficult since you're attempting to reverse engineer a proprietary server while frontend is more along the lines of using what is given. Another important distinction should be between those who contribute and those who don't.

Other than these two distinctions, I don't really care what people call themselves.
Correction: I'm God's gift to man-kind. [ / sarcasm ] Also, where did I say that? You're sure quick to jump on the Cookie bashing wagon. It's flattering, though. I don't bash you nor the people that continue to discuss/bash Cookie.

On a side-note: I love how every thread turns into Cookie discussion.

#freepublicity #CookieFans #lovesthelimelight
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

Bue

Nobody is bashing you, but I can see why you would think that based on your reputation.

ChemicalW

From my experience working in a software development team, the developers are the people whose ideas become the software and are generally also involved in the coding.

The coders on the other hand are those who take direction from the developers on what to code, they are generally not told how to do it as long as the final result is as expected.

In RO private servers, both terms are used freely to mean one or the other.

Bue

Quote from: ChemicalW on May 01, 2013, 07:50 PM
From my experience working in a software development team, the developers are the people whose ideas become the software and are generally also involved in the coding.

The coders on the other hand are those who take direction from the developers on what to code, they are generally not told how to do it as long as the final result is as expected.

In RO private servers, both terms are used freely to mean one or the other.

In RO private servers, it usually means you know how to change a few lines here and there.

Fruit Pie~

Quote from: Bue on May 01, 2013, 07:54 PM
In RO private servers, it usually means you know how to change a few lines here and there.
"Hey dudes! I want to join the GM team for PrivateRO as a lead senior source-mod developer! I made a text game in Python once and I know basic Java from community college classes. C should be easy! All you need is printf and numbers, right?"

An actual application might be worse, though.

EDIT : Optionally, he wants to apply for server development but all he knows is the NPC script language.

Bue

Quote from: Fruit Pie~ on May 01, 2013, 09:05 PM
"Hey dudes! I want to join the GM team for PrivateRO as a lead senior source-mod developer! I made a text game in Python once and I know basic Java from community college classes. C should be easy! All you need is printf and numbers, right?"

An actual application might be worse, though.

EDIT : Optionally, he wants to apply for server development but all he knows is the NPC script language.

It is more significant to understand data structures, algorithms, memory hierarchy/management, standard libraries, and discrete mathematics just for the basics. The rest is being able to go through manuals, use proprietary code, and working with other smart people.

You're practically expected to be able to pick up any programming language immediately anyways.

So if you see that application and interview that person with some jargon, you'll immediately know what you're dealing with.

Triper

Bue

Quote from: Cawliflower on May 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
/ok

Yes, I already understand that point. You've made it multiple times already. Why continue to bring it up? Instead of worrying about me, worry about yourself.

Edit: Bue, stop being a keyboard warrior and get a hobby. Preferably one that doesn't involve discussing Cookie every time you see anything related to me.

Other than spending my free time tinkering with Ragnarok, I also engage in social outreach to help people with their sense of self-worth.

So I guess it is no coincident, that you think I am talking about you rather than talking to you.

Cawliflower

Quote from: Bue on May 01, 2013, 11:47 PM
Other than spending my free time tinkering with Ragnarok, I also engage in social outreach to help people with their sense of self-worth.

So I guess it is no coincident, that you think I am talking about you rather than talking to you.
Rofl.
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

Mr Chow

Thanks for the reply guys!

That cleared out my mind, and surprisingly in another sense messed it up too.

Now I realize that people who has the name cookie are legends!
LOL  /heh  /gg

Forbiddenz

I'll just keep it simple for me..

Developer are the one who thinks of something NEW, for example.. Developing a new features for the server!
Coder, like their name... They're pretty much one who coded the features that the developer wanted...

On extra note however, developer need to be able to read a code since want it or not, you can't trust everyone... Always have to check on the doors!