Request> Feelro.grf or feelro installer

Started by Karl, Jan 19, 2012, 10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl

Hello,

If someone has the old grf files, an old extracted data folder or an old installer somewhere stored, i would be glad if he could provide me with that.

thanks

Aurora™

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for this? x:

Karl

some files inside the grf interest me

Aurora™

No offense, but that's theft. If it's something related to the lua files or the item tables, I'd go to rAthena and try and get whatever information you're wanting from there, but anything custom to the FeelRO server that you're interested in is theirs and not everyone elses to take. Yeah, they're down, but that still doesn't give anyone the right to take from what they've made.

If it's maps or custom sprites you're looking for, I'd suggest having people make them for you yourself or using any of the many, many free sprites and maps available.

It gives a server owner a bad name when anyone can say, "Well, he/she took their files from other servers." Plain and simple, if you're making a server, make your own files, unless you have explicit confirmation from the previous administrators of FeelRO.

Just because of the aforementioned, I highly doubt anyone will give you their .grf or installer if you don't already have it. No one likes being called a thief.

Karl

1stEveryone playing a private ro server is a thief by its own, since we are all stealing gravity's property.
2nd the admin is in a russian cellar prision for taxfraud.
3rd I'm accountable to noone and did a simple request and didn't ask for false morality.
4th I had the folder until before 2 days but I forgot to backing it up with my other ro stuff while reinstalling windows.
5th It's not your business.

Aurora™

1. Everyone gives this argument and technically, no. If you're running an Aegis server, yes. Otherwise, everything is different on eAthena, and everyone customizes their server to the point of it no longer being even close to Gravity's game. Also, Gravity makes their code open source. GRFs require extracting. Weigh the two.

2. Who cares? It's still their stuff. Not your right to take.

3. I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but if you're asking for it, that makes you the accountable thief. That means the FeelRO owner can come to you for stealing their stuff. Don't really care if you didn't ask, you're posting this on a public forum open to public opinion. If you didn't want people like me (people that run RMS, pretty much) spectating your thievery, then you should've done so in private.

5. It's anyone's business, considering, again, you posted this on an open forum.

But, I was just letting you know that by doing what you're doing, you're a thief and you're also letting the public know that you're doing it. So, if anything, I was trying to help you and your future server out considering no matter what kind of logic you try to use against the thief argument, you're still a thief and almost everyone in the Ragnarok community looks down upon it. Good luck!

Karl

Quote from: Aurora™ on Jan 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
1. Everyone gives this argument and technically, no. If you're running an Aegis server, yes. Otherwise, everything is different on eAthena, and everyone customizes their server to the point of it no longer being even close to Gravity's game.

Ah, is that so? So you aren't using gravity copyrighted property? Maybe the server owner isnt doing theft, but definitly every player that runs a client and also the server owner does encourage them, so please. Everyone knows its theft and we're fine with that.

2. Who cares? It's still their stuff. Not your right to take.

3. I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but if you're asking for it, that makes you the accountable thief. That means the FeelRO owner can come to you for stealing their stuff. Don't really care if you didn't ask, you're posting this on a public forum open to public opinion. If you didn't want people like me (people that run RMS, pretty much) spectating your thievery, then you should've done so in private.

You're still asuming, I want to steal some cool sprites or what? Did i ever say this, i said its not your business what i want to do with it. And by telling that it doesn't make me a theft. I just brought that arguement because basicly every ro Player is theft. So you are point the finger at yourself.

5. It's anyone's business, considering, again, you posted this on an open forum.

But, I was just letting you know that by doing what you're doing, you're a thief and you're also letting the public know that you're doing it. So, if anything, I was trying to help you and your future server out considering no matter what kind of logic you try to use against the thief argument, you're still a thief and almost everyone in the Ragnarok community looks down upon it. Good luck!
No its not. I didn't ask you for a moral lesson. I send a specific request. If you don't want to fullfill my request just ignore it and everything is fine. There are way more important things you can use your energy on. And what logic is that at all, if i didnt reinstall windows I would have it anyway? If i wanted to steal the stuff i would have done it before, or just download any server grf i like...

Chemical Crush

You stated taht some files interest you in the grf.  Obviously you're making a pserver from your previous polls or questions.  So its a no brainer that you need/want some of the stuff from their grf.  Which isn't yours to begin with.  Who's to say you're not trying to take someones custom sprites?  Custom maps? 

While we're all playing a 'private server' and we're all 'theives' that doesn't give you a right to take someone else's work, especially if its something that the FeelRO admin paid for from someone else.  Like sprites or maps or whatever. 

But yeah, its looked down upon.  Plus if you're not looking for specific files to steal why don't you just go download someone else's grf like you said you could?

Karl

Quote from: Chemical Crush on Jan 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
You stated taht some files interest you in the grf.  Obviously you're making a pserver from your previous polls or questions.  So its a no brainer that you need/want some of the stuff from their grf.  Which isn't yours to begin with.  Who's to say you're not trying to take someones custom sprites?  Custom maps? 

While we're all playing a 'private server' and we're all 'theives' that doesn't give you a right to take someone else's work, especially if its something that the FeelRO admin paid for from someone else.  Like sprites or maps or whatever. 

But yeah, its looked down upon.  Plus if you're not looking for specific files to steal why don't you just go download someone else's grf like you said you could?

It's just a fact that I made a mistake and didn't back up my hdd and i ask for files i already possessed. And I now ask if someone has still that files? How often I have to say i dont want a moral lesson?

And btw? What gives you the right to watch movies, that hardworking people have produced and hear music that actors have sung for their living to watch and hear for free? Or play a game for free that hard working people have made, just to see it getting copied by people?

Lysander

There's a very obvious difference between things sold, things offered for free, and things stolen. Ragnarok Online has been offered open source, many servers are sold (3ceam, eaMod), and obtaining grf's from other servers without their permission would be stealing. Is there anything else, or can this thread be closed already? I'd think this would violate some forum rule or another.

Karl

Quote from: Lysander on Jan 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
There's a very obvious difference between things sold, things offered for free, and things stolen. Ragnarok Online has been offered open source, many servers are sold (3ceam, eaMod), and obtaining grf's from other servers without their permission would be stealing. Is there anything else, or can this thread be closed already? I'd think this would violate some forum rule or another.

your logic is flawless~

Cheshire

are you after the old donations items?

crysiscore3

Quote from: AuroraYeah, they're down, but that still doesn't give anyone the right to take from what they've made.
I played on that server for a while. It's been down for about 2 years. It's not coming back and falls squarely in the bounds of abandonware(even if we forget that it's an illegal pirate server to start with).

Quote from: Chemical Crushthat doesn't give you a right to take someone else's work, especially if its something that the FeelRO admin paid for from someone else.  Like sprites or maps or whatever
So, to be clear. Your server doesn't use any of Gravity's material? None of the sprites, like novice, none of the monsters like Frus or Anubis. None of the towns, like Payon. None of the music. None of the menus. Absolutely everything is original work?

Quote from: AuroraBut, I was just letting you know that by doing what you're doing, you're a thief and you're also letting the public know that you're doing it. So, if anything, I was trying to help you and your future server out considering no matter what kind of logic you try to use against the thief argument, you're still a thief and almost everyone in the Ragnarok community looks down upon it. Good luck!
You are stealing Gravity's maps. You are stealing Gravity's sprites. The exact thing you "look down on" when someone does it with a pirate admin's mods.

Remember kids. Taking someone's minor mod like a map or a cute hat is horrible and basically makes you Hitler. Taking an entire game and then having people pay you money in "donations" for a game that is %95 not stuff you designed yourself or paid to have designed? Why, that makes you something darn near to a hero. A hero that sanctimoniously looks down on the rabble who would take the %5 of content that's actually wrong to take without permission.

You should be ashamed of yourself Karl :( Haven't you ever heard of honor among thieves?
Thinking of making your own RO PServer?
Read this first.

Chemical Crush

Please, skip the 'You're stealing gravity's work its no different blahblahblah'  So tired of that argument.  If that were the case we're all awful people for playing pservers and STARTING them.  And what I meant was, people like Gaypuff who do their own act files and sprite from scratch and all that jazz and charge for it.  I'm not saying anything about mappers because they use Gravity's Models/Textures.  But spriters on the other hand...thats purely their work from scratch.  Unless its a poring edit or a mob edit of any kind really.

crysiscore3

Yes, that's precisely the point CC. You have no respect for copyright or compensating others for their design work. That's okay, neither do I, or anyone else here.
The issue comes up where you say that it's totally different when someone takes your hat, than when someone takes Gravity's hat. Neither is their hat design to take. And yet you condone one type of taking and condemn the other.

I could at least in part agree with you on not taking other active server's customs. But it's a matter of strategy not morality. The customs are what distinguish one server from another. So, by leaving them on their original sites, they have something to distinguish themselves.
But that rationale disappears when a server closes for good. At that point you're advocating wasting what was originally there.

None of us respect intellectual property ownership here. "Honor among thieves" is the closest you could manage to justify it. It's okay to take from outside the circle, but not from within. Including the tombs of fellow thieves.
I can't say I follow that line of reasoning and I have a hunch not many other people do either.

And since we're disagreeing on something and RMS has a habit of devolving into drama, I'll add that I've always found both you and Aurora to be smart and insightful people. And I have respect for each of you. But I strongly disagree with sinners casting the first stone. And we're all sinners here ;)
Thinking of making your own RO PServer?
Read this first.