[Applications Closed!!!] Ammonia Server Project (a new server emulator)

Started by nevelis, Aug 30, 2011, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevelis

UPDATE:  Applications are now CLOSED!

Hey everyone! I am Nevelis, and I am on the hunt for enthusiastic developers to join the Ammonia Server Project!

What is the Ammonia Server Project?
It is a completely new implementation of the server, moving away from the eAthena codebase completely, and starting from scratch to provide a fast, powerful and most of all, the most stable server ever!

Why should I apply?
Because you are an awesome developer, of course!  In saying that, we don't JUST need developers, we need testers, scripters, architects and feedback.

What are the goals of the Ammonia Server Project?
There are several goals we will achieve along the lifecycle of the project, including:
  • A high-performance game server
  • A fully object-oriented interface, a lot cleaner than eA
  • An object-oriented scripting language to make extending the server easy, and most of all, fun and enjoyable!
  • Multithreaded support for better performance on multi-core servers
  • Support for over 10,000 players connected to a single map server
  • SQL only
  • Test-driven with full test coverage of all server functionality
  • Native language support
  • Support for all extended & third classes

What do I need to apply?
These are not requirements - I have a saying when working with others that goes: "If you don't know how to do something, you can learn, but I don't want to work with a d*** head".  These points are just an idea of what to expect, or what you may learn on this endeavor!

For developers:

• Discipline as a coder
  • Able to follow strict coding guidelines & formatting conventions
  • Able to develop in C++
  • Experience in Linux software development would be great, but not required
  • Familiar with integration of libraries (zlib, mysql-client, pcre, etc)
  • Able to accept constructive feedback!!!  Developers have the biggest egos of any subspecies on the planet!  I can say this, because I have a huuuuuuuuuuuuge ego, and I am a developer :D.  However, you MUST be able to put the "I'm right, you're wrong" aside - we aren't trying to accept a hero, but a team of open-minded developers with a common interest of providing the best possible solution, not necessarily YOUR solution.
  • Familiarity with version control systems.  Subversion would be nice, GIT preferable but you can learn that as you go along!
  • Familiarity with Test-Driven Development (jUnit, UnitTest++, check, NUnit)
  • Able to plan ahead BEFORE writing code.

For testers:
  • Ability to give descriptive feedback about defects sans rant
  • Being content with a common misconception that "developers don't hate testers, developers hate their code being tested and found to contain defects". For the longest time I thought I hated testers too, until I realized that at the cost of my own ego, they help make your code BETTER!
  • Ability to help define tests BEFORE code is written

For everyone:
  • Professionalism: teenager, adult, senior citizen, I don't care.  I won't tolerate drama or b****!
  • Reliability: this does not necessarily mean sticking to deadlines.  If you can't do something, I expect a message from you that you either need help or can't do it, not for you to just vanish off the face of the earth.
  • Team Player: this is a team effort!  It's a huge project, and we need to work together on this!
  • English Speaking: for the sanity of the team as a whole, we need to be able to communicate.  Language barriers create frustration and confusion - basic English is fine, but any code or grammar mistakes in a huge codebase can confuse other people maintaining your work.
  • Sense of Humor: this should be a FUN experience for all involved!  After we are finished on our masterpiece, we want to be able to kick back & enjoy some laughs.

Who do I contact?
If you want to join the Ammonia Server Project, you can contact me at [email protected], and tell me:

• Your real name
  • Your age
  • Your location in the world
  • What you have done before (links to resume's are fine)
  • What you would like to work on
  • What you expect to get out of this
  • KFC or Taco Bell
  • Your favorite color
  • What you think the meaning of life is

I will respond to everyone who applies personally.  Thank you everyone for your time, and I look forward to embarking on this adventure with you!

Synergy

In other words, a new ragnarok emulator?

nevelis

That's right :) and apparently that answer is too short for a post, so here's another sentence!

nevelis

Excuse the double post, but this will be my last one unless someone asks a question or until I close the thread.

We are looking to start the project around September 17, and will be closing applications then.  Thanks to those who've already applied, feel free to contact me on my email provided above or just ask a question here!  No applications here please.

Euphie

nevelis, you are so talented and devoted to what you do, can't wait til this project gets underway C:

Check out previews of our upcoming fully custom client!

nevelis

:D :D :D :D :D

Final call for developers - we are super keen and excited to get this project under way!  Submissions will close at the end of the week!

Oreo

This thread dosnt need a bump but I AM ANYWAYS.
im also really excited about this project~!

If you need any help from me (you know the kinda sh*t I do.) Please ask me, EH!
(:

nevelis

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand applications are now closed!  Thanks to everyone who applied - I will be in touch within the next 7 days with details for your developer accounts.