The real reasons not to play TalonRO

Started by Regret, Jul 06, 2013, 07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regret

I don't know why no one ever mentioned it, I guess most people who posted something bad about the server didn't even play it at all.
Here, I am going to enlighten you about the bad and very good things about TalonRO.

#1. Talon RO's advertising itself as 'lag-free'.
Honestly, I have never witnessed so many complaints about lags on any server I've been to, but here on TalonRO, there are people complaining about lags every 30 minutes and I do not think that is solely because of people having a "bad connection".
I've experience quite the sloppy movement in-game myself (when I can download 10MB/s all the time, just fine) and it's beyond me how a server that is all about Talon Coins and donationg can't even afford a proper server to hold 2k~ players with ease.
I guess most people deal with it because of the large playerbase, but I simply find it inacceptable.
Host change suggestion - Apparently the server is good enough to handle everything and shouldn't even be at its capacity with the current population. -cough-

#2. The closeminded-ness of certain GMs.
Simple and helpful features that can be seen on various servers without problems, that are being suggested by the community are being shutdown without proper reasoning and are, if reasoned, by being "too complicated" or a certain GM not "wanting to waste his time".
A couple of examples can be found here: (requires a TalonRO account)
Suggestion about noshake feature to reduce lag - shutdown by a simple "Rejected".
The implementation of a WoE ranking has been rejected as well due to the admitted lazyness of a GM and the "PvM" nature of the server.

#3. The general pain of playing this server compared to others.
This actually quite surprised. This server is so stuck in the past there are NO commands for showing a monster's HP or having any quickly accessible info.
A question for showing mob HP has been quickly shutdown to due to there being "Monster Propery", which is actually only available to one class. (Link to the Thread)
Common commands like @mi (mobinfo) don't work either and you're forced to use the page in order to look for information about monsters.
There's no real reasoning behind this other than "No" and "Rejected" comments by Boreas.

Of course, there are benefits to playing this server like a huge population, the change of scenery due to promoted and improved unconventional leveling spots, the very cheap healer and resetter and the active Vanilla WoE scene, but ...

Why do you people playing this server have to swallow all the s*** being rammed down their throat on this server?

It's beyond me.

Boreas

1. Most of our players (62% according to google analytics) are from Asia. The routing between them and the server isn't always stable, especially during peak hours in their country they will often experience "lag". Since we don't own the internet, I wish I did, nothing can be done about that.

2. Most suggestions which are rejected with a simple "No" have been suggested before and I will not explain the reason over and over. There's a forum search, people just don't use it.

QuoteThe implementation of a WoE ranking has been rejected as well due to the admitted lazyness of a GM and the "PvM" nature of the server.

Has been rejected because of the resources it would use.

3. Same here, we did explain a couple of times why such features are not added, people simply suggest them over and over without using the forum search first.

QuoteWhy do you people playing this server have to swallow all the s*** being rammed down their throat on this server?

Maybe because you are the only one who thinks that? Lol

DeePee

1. Such suggestions are pointless because players simply think that switching to a more powerful machine will solve anything. It will not. Lag is dependent on a LOT of factors, definitely not just the machine the server runs on. We rent multiple very powerful dedicated machines at http://www.blacklotus.net/host/dedicated-servers. There simply is not a better host you can get with DDoS protection that is located westcoast USA to ensure players in Asia get a decent server connection as well. The server itself runs on barely 30% of its resources. Getting a more powerful machine is simply pointless. For more information on lag causes, I'd like to refer you to our Diagnosing Lag wiki page.

2. Just because other servers have such features doesn't mean that every server should. We have a certain vision with our server that we stand by. For that reason, autoloot for example only works until level 70 and pets do not use skills. Just because these things work on other servers, doesn't mean that they should on TalonRO. These features are custom as well. As for the WoE ranking: as mentioned in that topic, the suggested rankings are very, very resource-hungry. They may work on smaller servers, but on a server the size of tRO, those simply cannot work. We do have castle standings and more detailed WoE reports on the Talonian.

3. Pretty much as I explained on point 2. Just because other servers have those commands doesn't mean we should. Just because you think it's stuck in the past doesn't mean it actually is. These are deliberate choices we made on how we'd like to see the server.

Thank you for your rant however. We do appreciate all constructive feedback :)

Regret

If that takes a lot of resources, what are you even working on, Boreas?

I'm not certainly not the only one who thinks like this and you know that very clearly.
There are a lot of things on the table of your players that you simply declined out of sheer laziness.

DeePee

Resources as in: server resources. Processing power. The suggested ranking is extremely resource-hungry and simply cannot work on TalonRO. Unless you like to have lag that is actually caused by the server itself. Cause that's what will happen if something like that is added, haha.

Boreas

Quote from: Regret on Jul 06, 2013, 12:36 PM
If that takes a lot of resources, what are you even working on, Boreas?

I'm not certainly not the only one who thinks like this and you know that very clearly.
There are a lot of things on the table of your players that you simply declined out of sheer laziness.

Uhm, that's your opinion. Thank you for this rant.

Regret

Wow, you're probably the most stubborn person I've ever come across in the RO scence, Boreas.

I'm sorry for you, DeePee. At least you're explaining things.
A WoE ranking would only have to update itself after every WoE, wouldn't it?

DeePee

Depends on the type of ranking you want. As I said, we have a castle standing and more detailed rankings about performance and progress on the Talonian (see link in previous post).

Boreas

Quote from: Regret on Jul 06, 2013, 01:49 PM
Wow, you're probably the most stubborn person I've ever come across in the RO scence, Boreas.

I'm sorry for you, DeePee. At least you're explaining things.
A WoE ranking would only have to update itself after every WoE, wouldn't it?

The ranking itself is not the problem, but for a ranking you have to collect some data and that's simply a performance eater.

Anyway, you are looking for a new server so I don't see the point in this discussion. Your new server might have this feature, we won't, everybody is happy that way.

Thoth

rankings are a huge boost to the "quality of life" so to speak of bg/woe/pvp. to underestimate it is folly.

Boreas

Nobody "underestimates" it (well not true, I do actually), but on large scale servers you will notice them performance wise. If we promised to have such a feature I would understand the fuss about it, but we never did and don't have any plans to add such a feature in the near future. If people are looking for rankings then they obviously have to look for a different server, I fully understand that.

Thoth

well at least I don't see that "guild of the month" or "player of the month" crap on your page. whenever I see that I get seriously pissed off. I can't imagine why people would think plastering such obvious favoritism on their site would be a good idea, but alot of servers do it...

TRO_sucks

I won't play this server cause of the following reason:

1. Lag free server?
You mean FREE LAG SERVER? ok i got you

2. GM customer service
0 - 10  = 0 not customer service oriented Staff they dont care about you cause they think they're number 1 because you voted them that' the way they repay people. they Just gonna say find new server after punishing you without warning lmao

3. KS system
This sucks cause when people with @noks is on you're the one whos gonna get silenced instead of them who ksed you

4. Looting System
Level 70 cap? this is useless cause you can't kill monsters in mob below level 70 below even if you have +9 +10 been there tried that low level leecher. No brainer rule here

5. Cheat Enabled server
Tons of hack and cheats available on this server you just need to look for it and study it on google and youtube. Only bots not allowed but openkore has new bot so i'm not sure if it runs depending on the config

6. Homunculus AI THOTAI
This server allows AI for homunculus which in the case you wont win in any form vs the AI homunculus even PVP or PVM you will still lose cause its imba auto attack everything you just need to config even if you have +10 + 9 armor or 90+ mdef set items you would still lose from this AI bot totally unfair gaming here (unless your a XXXXXX pro gamer you wont stand a chance 1- 5 but not 10-10 vs AI)

7. Dodge Snap Champ / AutoHide
I love this skill at pvp, pro champ and AHK(auto hot key users) champs can auto dodge whatever skill or normal attack you throw at them.

8. Events
More than one hour event they're just gonna give you 1 pcs Old Purple box and some stupid loot item forgot OPB is just 50k or less. You can even make more money farming at GH for 30 mins no brainer event.

9. Copper Coins
  This server only increases exchange rate of Copper coins Higher vs Getting it Lower  for example 1st week 50CC > 1 TC if you lose it can get up to 65 or 60 > 1 TC but it wont go 45 or 40 > 1 TC even if you guys won every week seems fair? for morons. Bottom line it only adds 15 max if you lose but wont drop - 15 max if you win so you can vote all year it only goes 50 max waste of time.

10. Lets forget about the rest cause i can go on exploiting bugs and problem to this server still you won't win from long time players here cause they farm 10m-90m per day

cheers TRO =)

Pebbl

TRO_sucks is a legit player with a legit name who probably stopped playing because he got a job where earns honest money and is just unsatisfied with all the features given in TalonRO     /sarcasm

The only thing I can currently say is:
how am I supposed to take you seriously with your nickname? :x

Cawliflower

I wouldn't play TalonRO because Boreas is meany pants GM 2k13. :( He wouldn't give me Asprika.

On a serious note, I've seen a lot of these topics as of recent. Before this period, I didn't hear much dislike in tRO. Did something change in an update or something? Lol.
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

DeePee

Not really. Just some bans that nowadays result in RMS rants instead of DDoS attacks.

Cawliflower

Quote from: DeePee on Jul 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Not really. Just some bans that nowadays result in RMS rants instead of DDoS attacks.
Gurrrrl, was that a read?

Edit: I was just asking a question. No need for passive agression.
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DeePee

Quote from: Cawliflower on Jul 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
Gurrrrl, was that a read?

Edit: I was just asking a question. No need for passive agression.

Actually, that was meant in general, not related to the latest topic about you. We actually had plenty of people DDoSing us before after getting banned.

Cawliflower

Quote from: DeePee on Jul 22, 2013, 02:44 PM
Actually, that was meant in general, not related to the latest topic about you. We actually had plenty of people DDoSing us before after getting banned.
Ah, I'm sorry then for misunderstanding.

Makes sense, we had that happen last year after we banned a PHP item seller.

Thoth

Quote from: TRO_sucks on Jul 19, 2013, 11:51 PM
6. Homunculus AI THOTHAI
This server allows AI for homunculus which in the case you wont win in any form vs the AI homunculus even PVP or PVM you will still lose cause its imba auto attack everything you just need to config even if you have +10 + 9 armor or 90+ mdef set items you would still lose from this AI bot totally unfair gaming here (unless your a XXXXXX pro gamer you wont stand a chance 1- 5 but not 10-10 vs AI)
you mean they didn't make homuns demihuman? I had honestly hoped the public release of ThothAI would force server owners to address this issue, since I didn't like getting oneshotted by vanilmirths when I wore the BG set. I guess I overestimated most GMs >_>

DeePee

They are.

Plus Vanilmirths got increased SP usage on Caprice and an increased after-cast delay.

Thoth

not the way I'd address caprice spam. but if this much has been done on talon, then what is he ranting about? vanil is only emoquit worthy when they are formless...