StargazerRO unwelcoming to English-speaking players.

Started by Minanomix, Jun 20, 2018, 02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minanomix

Hello. This was my first experience being banned from any type of game secondary to warning players about said game.

StargazerRO opened about two months ago on April 6th, 2018 originally advertised as English- and German-supported. They recently had plans to switch over to only German-supported about three weeks after I joined in late May to early June without any official announcement or any noticeable in-game implementations suggesting so. I only found out today after my entire ordeal here that they have updated their RMS review page to reflect that change being only German-supported; however, the server owner took offense to when a player—such as myself—notified other players in their public Discord channel that the server is not the most welcoming to English-speaking players.

I posted this screenshot of our conversation in the public Discord channel captioned:
"Just a warning that this server is not the most welcoming to English-speaking players."
(I do not have proof of this caption, because it was quickly deleted by the admin and I was banned from their Discord server almost instantly thereafter.)

He not only did not inform me about this recent plan of his to transition to German-only support, but even agreed that it was false advertising despite that amendment—given by the "yep" stated.
Their homepage, Wikipedia, and RMS review page are all still in English as of this thread posting asides from their forum board and Discord channel, which is almost entirely in German. Obviously it will take time to transition over into another language completely, but to ban a player for not being formally told that and for alerting other players for that reason shows how insecure the server owner is.

Here is an extended snippet of our conversations. He has been selectively responsive to players remaining "invisible" online despite talking to other players, especially when confronted with criticism. I can promise that I never deleted any messages in the shown conversations. For some history, I also never asked for any special in-game treatment; I have additional proof of that if needed. One thousand cash points and a thirty-day VIP coupon were randomly given to me and another player whom I play with after they talked to the admin, and I asked the admin why that is. He was silent.
This was already a red flag indicating possible free hand-outs to other players before us.
(Side note: I met an Italian player in-game, so I am not sure why the admin touted a homogeneous player base.)

As far as I know, rumors are unconfirmed statements; they are not considered a rumor if it is expressed by an admin or staff member themself. I highlighted the time stamp of which the admin responded to me following my screenshot post in the beginning of this thread of which resulted in my deletion and banishment from the Discord server and game server without warning or justification. Apparently, my public warning post is equivalent to someone botting or using third-party software. This all transpired within an hour or so.

(I accidentally pressed a button that removed view of my character information, as much of a coincidence of that was.)

My take-aways are the following: While a server can freely change their support policies whenever they want:
1. Banning a player on the spot from warning others about their upcoming plans involving the lack of inclusion suggests a god complex secondary to insecurity.
2. Trying to hide or eradicate any sources of disagreement is a sign of poor leadership and/or impending dictatorship due to the fear of public opinion.
3. Rash decisions with minimal transparency, justification, and/or consideration may foster future consequences.

Fraterna

that's one of the reasons i usually avoid german servers (hence i'm german myself).
every german admin i met were nice at the first 2 weeks and then turned out completely unreasonable after that.
can't tell much about stargazer, just dl/registered there for testing purposes (played maybe half an hour until i found all the flaws i dislike), but it's usually the same on any german server i tested so far:
admin makes a server for his and a few friends, some others join, and somewhere some drama starts out of nowhere with drama, bans and noone knows why.

so to say: even when i wouldn't avoid german servers in general, i owuld avoid playing THIS one in particular.

yennar

As i am still lurking in their channel and read the whole thing, I can only say that spamming against a Server in their own Discord Channel will not do any good. Ever. Most of the time you'll get labeled as troublemaker. Of course you'll get banned.

As far as i know: The admins of the server had decided to translate and market this server as a german one. So, while english talking people can and maybe do still play there, their focus is on the german ones.
I do not think this to be the right way either. Nowadays servers should offer to the whole community, but it's the decision of the admins.

Minanomix

Quote from: yennar on Jun 20, 2018, 10:46 AM
...spamming against a Server in their own Discord Channel will not do any good.
In my defense, I only posted once in that Discord (that warning post), so it would not be considered spamming. I do not know what happened after my leave, but if it sparks any discussion in their community about that decision, it was worth departing the server for me.

Corgers

That's unfortunate! Many servers nowadays are international, because the RO community is so diverse. I'm sure you'll find a good fit eventually.

Join CorgiRO! A fresh server with Multi-Classing + Daily Quests!
[color=blue]Our RMS Introduction![/color]
Watch Our Video! [color=pink](ft. LilyPichu)[/color]
Visit: Our Website | Forum | Facebook | Discord

Aeroskye

Plus this was after Germany's humiliating defeat against Mexico. They are extra salty right now.  /heh

I hope you are not Mexican  /pif