plebRO.ro-online.net - cancer among the community

Started by Yuzo, Aug 21, 2016, 07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuzo

I wanna ask, have you ever played a good server that has this domain?
ServerName.ro-online.net

I see them everywhere. Every second or third new server listed on RMS has this subdomain, and they ALL HAVE THE SAME GOD DAMN WEBSITE! Most of the links don't work, except you can bet the donate button works.
Spoiler

[close]

Making a server has never been easier, and the guys selling these services are making it even easier. I just wanna say a big F U 2 U.
You're causing an over saturation in the market, pumping server after server out - 95% of them being utter s***.

yC

Being the one that check the listings and validate them, I have run into many with loading issues under the *.ro-online.net domain.  I believe they have a very short timeout time for their web-server (or not US/Canada geo friendly due to higher ping and delay?) making many pages load to blank or incomplete.  I wish to bring it to their attention and I have included this problem in messages I send to server owner when I can't validate their site.

What can we do, server hosting come with free website template with flex control panel.  One thing you can expect is, server owner buy into the package and decided to do nothing to their template site (such as setting up the correct links instead of using the default forum.com / facebook.com etc) will likely do nothing to their template server.

Hey your screenshot don't have the 2010 html news or that "hi this is ..." video  /heh

DarkDevine

- Buy 20€/month VPS
- Install Plesk, a Hercules template and a Website-template
- Sell it as "RO Hosting", host 500 5€/month users believing it's a legit service
- ?????
- Profit

Well, what you gonna do.
It's not forbidden and generally. You can't disable a full subdomain on RMS just because the hosting service is unprofessional haha. You'd need to ban most of the pServer owners out there as well in that case.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

Pepo

testimonials are always the same
sometimes they dont even change name

never played on good server with this hosting

yC

I notice the woe schedule seems to be at default for both of them, unless they are the same server.

Lai

haha :D
This is hilarious :P

There is a new SubZeRO ;D ;D ;D

RO Fast food . com

Yuzo

Doing some research I think the people (or person) selling these services go by the name of PonyVPS. Their threads on rathena and hercules and rubbished with complaints of not following up support.

DarkDevine

Quote from: Yuzo on Aug 23, 2016, 01:28 AM
Doing some research I think the people (or person) selling these services go by the name of PonyVPS. Their threads on rathena and hercules and rubbished with complaints of not following up support.

You get what you pay for :)

I hope everyone using his services loses a lot of money or gets shat on at least. Some people need to learn by force.

Even though, their servers are probably worth nothing anyways.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

Bue

It is a very simple idea.

Build an image of a generic ragnarok server and upload the image to multiple VPS providers that cost less than $10 a month, then provide the service with 500% markup and use the web API of your VPS providers to automate the build, renewal, and upgrade process.

It is an easy cash cow.

I kid you not. The entire project doesn't take more than a couple of days to build the website and integrate paypal and the vps providers. The only difficult part is paying the taxes on your earnings and handling the transactions under a name so paypal doesn't think your laundering money.

And if you're really want to milk it. Then provide %200 mark up services, then contract out the work to graphic artists, developers, and what have you.

If you're evil, then get the donation revenue of each server from their control panel and provide 'support and maintenance' services at %10 of their revenue or more (if you're super greedy).

Say you want to buy a Tesla Model S or a new subwoofer, then you'll have bots running around collecting emails from various related forums and sending out promotion deals and selling noobs the dream of owning their own server. It takes less than 100 lines of python code and low cost if you're using public SMTP servers.

I am not saying you should though.

Yuzo

I really wanna say something to these people. Let them know it's a scam and you're not getting your money's worth. Ugh. i don't even know.

DarkDevine

Quote from: Yuzo on Aug 24, 2016, 12:05 PM
I really wanna say something to these people. Let them know it's a scam and you're not getting your money's worth. Ugh. i don't even know.

No, don't. People usually learn best from mistakes. Let them pay, realize it's a scam and they will never fall for it again in fear of losing money.

That's simply what you get when you want everything cheap and quick. No one takes time for stuff anymore. It's sad.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

Yuzo

Anybody know some other servers with that subdomain or similar ones they can try access? It seems a lot of them have exceeded bandwith limit or had their account suspended.

yC

Maybe temporarily?

This one signed up today is working fine http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=19083&itv=6&url_sname=Ret%20Ragnarok%20Online except I am going to delist it for having no outside contact such as a working forum/facebook page and server rates mismatch the information on the listing.

Yuzo

The new one they are using is "ro-game.net"...e.g. "rms.ro-game.net". Be wary. Don't buy from RO hosting. And if their website has that domain name you know the server is gonna suck and will be dead within 1 month.