NovaRO rant

Started by JuicyJuices, Apr 17, 2017, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuicyJuices

I've already left an honest review of the server http://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-reviews/novaro-32732/ , which I gave a 7/10 because honestly it's very good. It's not 10/10 because of the administrator, Nova. So this is a rant, focus on my bad experience.
So where do I start...Nova is a very short-tempered person. Anything I did got him irritated and/or annoyed. I must note here that I never called him names. A few examples are:
1- Replying to rejected suggestions or invalid bug reports.
  Nova hates when you do either of these things. He basically doesn't like that you discuss something further or try to clarify things even if it's rejected. He won't immediately say that he hates when you do that, but I used to almost always do this because Nova usually rejects something without explaining why he rejects it properly, and just expects that you accept it and move on. An example of this is here: https://www.novaragnarok.com/forum/topic/4417-double-click-ammo/ . This was one of my many suggestions. At this point he had already made it more than clear to me that he doesn't like when you reply to rejected stuff, so I didn't. But you can see that he didn't explain properly why the suggestion was rejected, and another guy, himonji, asked him why, which he replied.
There are countless other suggestions that you can find where he just says "No." or doesn't reply at all. Just look at the rejected section.
2- "begging"
Sometimes I begged for Nova to implement a suggestion, but it was more like a joke, and he got really annoyed. I did it with only 2 or 3 suggestions, I used to say something like "I can give you a piece of cake if you implement it" and link a deliciously looking cake or something. Reason I did this was because Nova loves to talk about food on discord, I was just trying to be funny and get along with him, but he got seriously irritated. If he had told me the first time this was a problem, I would've stopped, but instead he explodes after I do it a few times. So yea, I stopped doing this too.
3- He doesn't like to provide players with server information
  Even simple things. Like, the server is 10x drop rate right. Then I ask him if these rates applies to galapago cap's effect. He says it should but he can't check because he can't give out these informations to players. And I'm like why?? It's my right to know as a customer how the hat works on his server! Then I ask him about the cramp card, if the rates of the server is applied to its effect or not, and he just flips out. "stop asking me these questions", "we don't check server information for players" or things like that. I think I have all the right to know these things, and he shouldn't get angry because of it. The GMs couldn't answer me these questions, redirecting me to Nova, and Nova refused to answer me. As if I was asking sensible information, I wasn't. It was simple stuff. Ultimately he said I should stop talking to him all the time because he is the server admin, he is very busy, but that it was ok to talk to him once in a while, or something along those lines. Which led me to stop talking to him on Discord because he wouldn't answer my questions anyway.
4-This is the reason I got banned. So I sent Nova a pm saying that I wanted to criticize him but not offend him because of some things. And here I'll tell you what I was criticizing him for. Basically, I told him that I felt like he cherry-picks what he wants to implement from kRO or not, even though he claims that he tries to follow kRO, and gave him a few examples, and said that it felt like false propaganda. He said things along the lines "you don't know what you're talking about", "you make assumptions that's really annoying", even though I didn't make assumptions, every thing I said was based on things he said on the forums and/or discord. If I don't know what I'm talking about, then please enlighten me. He also said "I don't know who do you think you are", "I don't need to answer your questions". Things like that, and I was like *sigh*. Basically, I can't talk to this guy, I can't criticize him, I can't ask him anything. This is f*** terrible. In the end he said I could still keep my accounts, but if I made a ruckus he would ban them as well. As if I would make a ruckus, because I always tried to contribute to this server, never tried to cause problems.

So I quit playing, not because the game is bad, but because the admin is unapproachable.

So, I don't think Nova is corrupt or a bad person per se, he does a terrific job on his server and it's very enjoyable. But he is unapproachable and very hard to deal with.

EDIT 10/29/2017
Ok so, I'd like this rant post to be closed. I regret my actions. Took me half a year to finally realize my stupidity and a******, I'm a slowpoke, but late is better than never.
The comparison I made is unfair, because Nova is not a company, I am not a customer. They don't have to help me when I need help, I am not entitled to anything. This isn't some game I've paid for to be entitled to complain and expect support whenever I need. All Nova does and they're administrators do is for free. I had lots of fun and didn't contribute a single cent. What an a****** I was, Jesus Christ. Looking back now, honestly, I don't know what the f*** was wrong with me. I did try to help, but I can see now that my attitude and words made me a colossal a****** in the end. I even made this stupid f*** rant thread that just added more insult to injury. I regret all of it. Just don't know what else to say. I'm necroing this thread to say that I am sorry, and for people who come read this rant, they should read this to see that this whole rant is invalid. Nova is in fact very f*** patient, he's like the opposite of what I've said. I am surprised I lasted so long, really. He gave me many chances and I blew each and every one of them rofl. Apparently I was thick headed and could only learn in the worst possible way. Yay. I kept bugging him and other admins and GM's time and time again. My last message to Nova I criticized him for cherry picking kRO features and ignoring others, saying that what he does is false propaganda lmao. As if I knew anything about balance and his reasons. You can see from the patch notes all the fixes and official content he implements and puts effort into. And somehow in my mind I was doing nothing wrong lol. I was an entitled, immature, annoying, nosy prick. I didn't mention he showed me a print screen of a small code snippet once to clarify something to me. Nova is the best admin you could ask for, his server is amazing and I hope it grows each day. I am utterly ashamed of my actions. I really am. Ugh. I hope I was the last person to write a stupid rant post about NovaRO, and if someone else decides to do it, they read this first and change their mind before being stupid like I was. I am sincerely sorry for all the trouble I've caused. Good bye.

Boreas

Gotta defend Nova on this one as I know where he is coming from. As head admin of a server you gotta deal with lots of different problems on a daily basis and sometimes it simply gets annoying. Not the players per se, but the fact that some people don't even bother to use the forum or wiki search before they ask you a question. They simply assume that just because you are a member of staff you have to know everything about the server and then they get pissed when you tell them to just look for it themselves.

That being said, I will not judge Nova's communication skills, but we are chatting every now and then and I never had the feeling that he'd be annoyed or unfriendly in his responses. The topic starter also only outlined one side of the story, from all we know a chat between you two could have looked like this as well:

Player: "Nova, please implement my suggestion."
Nova: "I already told you four times that we will not do that."
Player: "BUT PLEASE, I HAVE CAKE FOR YOU!"
Nova: "Even with cake. :<"
Player: *links cake picture*
Nova: "The cake looks tasty, but I still cannot implement your suggestion."
*two hours later*
Player: "I thought about it again, PLEASE IMPLEMENT MY SUGGESTION!"

Now imagine that happens two or three times a day, I don't know about you, but I would probably think to myself "the f*** is going on".

JuicyJuices

Hello Boreas. A part of the problem is my communication skills, or rather lack of it. I constantly mentioned that I suck at writing and always tried to make it clear that I don't want to offend anyone, bad sadly I don't think that was enough.

I am banned from discord, I don't have access to our conversations. About the cake thing, he deleted my comments, so you can't see them, can't find them. Anyway...I posted many, many suggestions. The cake thing was with one or two suggestions, including a bug report which couldn't be fixed and I "begged" for it to be fixed. It wasn't on every single suggestion, no.

QuoteAs head admin of a server you gotta deal with lots of different problems on a daily basis and sometimes it simply gets annoying. Not the players per se, but the fact that some people don't even bother to use the forum or wiki search before they ask you a question. They simply assume that just because you are a member of staff you have to know everything about the server and then they get pissed when you tell them to just look for it themselves.
The examples I said are things that you can't find on the wiki or forum. The GMs can't answer you, or players, and Nova refuses to.

Boreas

Quote from: JuicyJuices on Apr 17, 2017, 09:09 AM
Hello Boreas. A part of the problem is my communication skills, or rather lack of it. I constantly mentioned that I suck at writing and always tried to make it clear that I don't want to offend anyone, bad sadly I don't think that was enough.

Your English is decent, so I don't think that's an excuse.

I am banned from discord, I don't have access to our conversations. About the cake thing, he deleted my comments, so you can't see them, can't find them. Anyway...I posted many, many suggestions. The cake thing was with one or two suggestions, including a bug report which couldn't be fixed and I "begged" for it to be fixed. It wasn't on every single suggestion, no.

If you are banned from their Discord then Nova probably told you multiple times to leave him alone. Believe it or not, but we can freely decide who we talk to. Just because Nova is an administrator it doesn't mean you can simply spam him all you want and he has to accept that. :<

The examples I said are things that you can't find on the wiki or forum. The GMs can't answer you, or players, and Nova refuses to.

Nova has a whole staff for exactly this purpose. On TalonRO when players ask me things about the client I will usually tell them to poke Seiren instead, as he knows more about it than I do. Now if you keep asking Nova the same questions then I can understand that he gets pissed.

Again, I don't want to judge this particular situation. I am merely giving my two cents.

JuicyJuices

QuoteYour English is decent, so I don't think that's an excuse.
I would agree. Since I never had this problem before. But not good enough for this server, no. There were multiple occasions Nova mentioned I seemed entitled and rude when I didn't want to. He deleted one of my comments once and wrote one himself on its place with a "lighter tone".

QuoteIf you are banned from their Discord then Nova probably told you multiple times to leave him alone. Believe it or not, but we can freely decide who we talk to. Just because Nova is an administrator it doesn't mean you can simply spam him all you want and he has to accept that. :<
You are making assumptions here...did I say anything about who Nova can talk to? Did I say I was banned on discord because I spammed him? I got banned on the forums and discord at the same time. Or maybe again it's because my writing is bad and it made you assume things I didn't say. I wasn't even talking to him on discord anymore. Well, barely.

My point is Nova not wanting to answer my questions, and getting pissed off about them. Imagine if you go to a store and want to buy something, but have a question about an item. People around you can't answer your question, the cashier can't answer your question, so you ask for who's in charge to show so you can ask them. Then the person in charge says "well, can't answer you. We can't provide you with the information you want".

QuoteNova has a whole staff for exactly this purpose
I don't get it...I just said the staff(GMs) would redirect me to Nova because they couldn't answer...

QuoteOn TalonRO when players ask me things about the client I will usually tell them to poke Seiren instead, as he knows more about it than I do
Oh TalonRO...I knew I knew you from somewhere. I played there a little while, I think 1 year. I didn't have a problem.

Tokeiburu

Heya,

Just to be clear, you are not banned in the game, just the forums. I will tell you my point of view, though.

I recall getting 10~25 notifications, from you alone, in a single day for weeks in a row. We were kind enough to actually read through them and answer you, but we do not live on the forums either. Near the end, I personally gave up and I was starting to avoid the forums entirely due to your sheer amount of spam. We have other stuff to do JuicyJuices, I don't want to spend all my time answering your suggestions on the forum and it's something you should have catched on a while back. It was exhausting.

You've also sent us a huge amount of requests through Discord and you always wanted our full 100% attention at all times. I personally had enough, so I decided to stop answering you and I referred you to Nova instead. I would not have you spam me on my Discord account. You even went ahead and PM'ed a friend who does kRO tests for us, and asked him to test some stuff for you... He was nice enough to do it, but you are not a member of the staff JuicyJuices.

Anyway, you can imagine (well, you probably don't) how annoying this behavior can be. I'm going to let Nova respond to you properly when he wakes up, but you are yet again seeking more attention so I don't know if he will want to even bother.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to simply play the game and move on. All this arguing with you is really getting old.

PS: I'm referring to this: http://imgur.com/a/asrJa

JuicyJuices

QuoteI recall getting 10~25 notifications, from you alone, in a single day for weeks in a row. We were kind enough to actually read through them and answer you, but we do not live on the forums either. Near the end, I personally gave up and I was starting to avoid the forums entirely due to your sheer amount of spam. We have other stuff to do JuicyJuices, I don't want to spend all my time answering your suggestions on the forum and it's something you should have catched on a while back. It was exhausting.
What spam? Suggestions? Also it's not just my suggestions that were not answered/badly answered when rejected. There are many like this. Basically you consider my suggestions to be spam, that's amazing. I find it funny, when you try to help using the medium provided(suggestions) and it's not considered help, but spam instead lol. Even if you don't like my suggestions, you can't consider them spam like I don't even know how to explain this it should be obvious why. You speak about answering my suggestions as if it was a favor lol, it should be seen as an obligation. Players suggest things to improve the server, and you provide the forum to do that, not answering suggestions is failing with one of the things you should do. It's like saying "I will assign these tasks for me...but I won't do all of them cause you know, aint nobody got time for that". Really it's funny  /heh
Look at other examples: https://www.novaragnarok.com/forum/topic/4437-automatic-feeding/
https://www.novaragnarok.com/forum/topic/3977-how-to-improve-this-game-in-3-steps/?page=2
The last one was funny I admit, but inappropriate all the same. "Ahahah.No". That's a good explanation :p.

QuoteYou've also sent us a huge amount of requests through Discord and you always wanted our full 100% attention at all times. I personally had enough, so I decided to stop answering you and I referred you to Nova instead. I would not have you spam me on my Discord account.
That's not true. It's not that I requested your full attention. It's that I had questions that nobody answered, I was ignored, constantly. I am that kind of annoying customer that doesn't leave until he/she has an answer, and I think the customer has every right to do so.

QuoteYou even went ahead and PM'ed a friend who does kRO tests for us, and asked him to test some stuff for you... He was nice enough to do it, but you are not a member of the staff JuicyJuices.
I can only think of Jet. What does this have to do with being a member of the staff? Can't I ask a player who has a kRO account to test something for me? If I had a kRO account and someone asked me instead I wouldn't mind.

QuoteAnyway, you can imagine (well, you probably don't) how annoying this behavior can be. I'm going to let Nova respond to you properly when he wakes up, but you are yet again seeking more attention so I don't know if he will want to even bother.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to simply play the game and move on. All this arguing with you is really getting old.
It's annoying for me as it is for you. I am not seeking more attention. I just found out that I can leave a review on rms and decided to do it. You seem to not have noticed that I gave a good review and talked about the positive points on this game. I am not playing ragnarok anymore, my last access was the day I got banned, you can delete my accounts if you want. I wasn't even expecting replies or anything, I'm not expecting Nova's or anyone else's reply. I just decided to share my bad experience here.

Boreas

QuoteI just decided to share my bad experience here.

Base on the pictures Tokei posted I'd say you are the bad experience, not Nova.

JuicyJuices

QuoteBase on the pictures Tokei posted I'd say you are the bad experience, not Nova.
This just gets more and more amusing. So it's not suggestions that are spam, but bug reports, I see  /heh *facepalm* . Like, are you guys even listening to yourselves?
Most of my bug reports are item description errors, which guess what, go under "item description" under the bug tracker!I made these reports to help the server, not to be a nuisance! The fact that most of these bug reports kept being fixed and not rejected or you know, deleted from the forums, shows that someone cares to fix them, am I right?
I asked about this to Nova myself, if he was ok with me posting description errors bug reports or if he didn't want it. He said he appreciated it, that there was nothing wrong. I would show pics, but you know, I'm banned and all that. So miscommunication here, because clearly Tokei doesn't care about grammar errors and even consider it a spam to report them. You could have said with one message, just one: we don't care about grammar errors, please stop posting them. And I would've stopped. So I try to help and you see me as a spammer fantastic.

Not that not all of them were description errors. There were like 3 that were not, and are still on your spam list/image. Which were all fixed. Just the fact that all bug reports were fixed should give a clear indication that's not spam. After all, you don't "fix" spams. Like I can't even believe I'm having to argue here. I must be crazy or something that I think it's unfair to call me a spammer for posting bug reports that get fixed you know.

Boreas

QuoteI must be crazy or something that I think it's unfair to call me a spammer for posting bug reports that get fixed you know.

Don't get me wrong, reporting bugs is awesome and stuff, but based on those pictures I can tell what happened here. That being said, you mentioned that you quit Ragnarok, I suggest you find a new hobby and don't spend your time on badmouthing administrators. Have a nice day!

P.S.: You created a review topic on RMS, revived a rant one to complain about Nova and posted your own. It's obvious that you really want to spam your opinion all over the place.

Tokeiburu

Like I said: this is from my point of view only and I'm not speaking for anyone else.

I did not apply the ban on your forum account and if you want an explanation on that, you'd have to follow up with Nova. I'm simply explaining to you why you were troublesome to me personally.

- "Automatic feeding" for non-evolved pets is just a no. There's nothing to even debate there.
- Removing autoloot after 2.5 years is just as ridiculous. It would be a bad decision for any RO server out there and there was no need to give an explanation on that topic.

I would rather work on new features and providing more content than debating with you in every single suggestion you made. You and I both know you would not have conceded. You'd have dragged the threads on and on until you were 100% satisfied with the answer we'd give you (or until we couldn't take it anymore and just gave in). Believe it or not, we're busy and I do not have the time to debate all your threads with you. Despite all that, we still read your suggestions and answered them. Some suggestions get denied, it's something you'll have to accept and live with.

I wish you the best of luck on your next server nonetheless!

JuicyJuices

Quotebut based on those pictures I can tell what happened here
No you can't. Did you miss the part where I said Nova said he appreciated what I did regarding the bug reports? That is not the reason I was banned. The reason I was banned is on number 4 on the original post, and has nothing to do with bug reports.

QuoteThat being said, you mentioned that you quit Ragnarok, I suggest you find a new hobby and don't spend your time on badmouthing administrators. Have a nice day!
I think I have every right to complain about something I think is wrong, just like the administrator has the right to ban me. Obviously the admins are always right and the players are always wrong when it comes to these things, so obviously I'm just badmouthing. Maybe you didn't notice that I said I don't consider Nova corrupt or bad and that I think his server is amazing on the review. But I guess only complaining comes to people's attention, it's human nature right? Have a nice day! Oh and I already found another hobby thanks  /no1

QuoteYou created a review topic on RMS, revived a rant one to complain about Nova and posted your own. It's obvious that you really want to spam your opinion all over the place.
RMS review doesn't allow more than 200 words. I left my honest review there, which was positive, but I had more to say.
I replied on another rant to give my opinion about that rant since I'm at it. Which I have my doubts about what the player said, because I don't think Nova is corrupt. Well, I just learned that I can't post my opinion on other rant/suggestions if I have my own.
I don't want to "spread" my opinion all over the place. I wanted to leave a review and a rant, which I did. Think whatever you want.

QuoteI would rather work on new features and providing more content than debating with you in every single suggestion you made. You and I both know you would not have conceded. You'd have dragged the threads on and on until you were 100% satisfied with the answer we'd give you (or until we couldn't take it anymore and just gave in).
The only topic I was really stubborn about was the refinement one, one of my first.  I think this is probably what they say "first impression is what counts" or something like that. And the few times I "begged" trying to get along with Nova but had the complete opposite effect that I expected. All the other times I replied to rejected topics I was just wanting clarification, like I pointed out. Like I said, from a customer point of view "No." or similarly bad replies are just unacceptable. Sorry but not sorry that I want clarifications and a decent explanation for things.

QuoteI did not apply the ban on your forum account and if you want an explanation on that, you'd have to follow up with Nova.
I said on point 4 the reason I was banned, that will not change. I sent him a message was considered to be rude even though I thought it wasn't. Specially since I wrote a whole paragraph praising his server and that I wanted to criticize some things but not offend him. Well, it most definitely offended him regardless because of the message followed by the ban. "not good enough english + easily offended/irritated person" led me to my ban.

EDIT
Quote"Automatic feeding" for non-evolved pets is just a no. There's nothing to even debate there.
Sorry for my sincere ignorance. I don't know what the problem is. If raichu can be automatically fed why can not pikachu? You have to understand that not everyone is familiar with all the aspects of the game and that some ideas may be stupid for you but not for the suggester. Could it be what one of the guys said that merchants would AFK with pets? But they can't with evolved pets? But you can't make the pet go back to the egg after afking after a few minutes? You see, just a simple explanation. Is all you could say. No need to debate if the reason is clear.

QuoteRemoving autoloot after 2.5 years is just as ridiculous. It would be a bad decision for any RO server out there and there was no need to give an explanation on that topic.
I realized that many decisions were made in the beginning of the server, but I did not know that at the time I made this suggestion(I actually made a suggestion about removing items from npc dealer, not this one, but it's the same thing). Maybe you or someone could make a sticky post with guidelines for suggestions. Like saying which types of changes would be client changes, that you guys can't do, which types of things that were established on the server creation, which you guys won't change(autoloot, etc). I don't have a crystal ball sorry.

nerdfrog

I agree that NovaRO is a great server, my hands are down with that. However, I also agree that Nova can improve his communication skills. While he is really good with the technical aspects, I think he can practice more patience and understanding towards different kinds of people connected to his server.

I am not siding with anyone but judging from what was previously posted, what you did seem too much. If I was in the position of whoever was babysitting you in the forums, I would have been annoyed as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and suggestions but try to be civil about it. You need not to constantly push your suggestions.

PS. From my experience, Tokei is a nice guy. Do not mess with him, though.

Boreas

QuoteBut I guess only complaining comes to people's attention

Well, maybe because you started all of your postings with "NovaRO is great, but the administrator ..."

QuoteI don't want to "spread" my opinion all over the place. I wanted to leave a review and a rant, which I did. Think whatever you want.

Please go away, for real. I can understand why you are banned on Nova's forum and Discord. You are annoying as f***. Seriously.

Anyway, this is my last post, let's not feed the troll. Enjoy!

JuicyJuices

QuotePlease go away, for real. I can understand why you are banned on Nova's forum and Discord. You are annoying as f***. Seriously.
And you're getting worked up over nothing. Thanks god that's your last post. You didn't add anything to the discussion but your clear bias. Have a good one  /no1