Accused of Stealing Server Name

Started by emancipate01, Feb 20, 2018, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emancipate01

Hi RMS Guys,

I hate to open a topic about this but need to since I want to clear my name.

First of all, I was accused that I stole blinzers' server name. His main evidence is that someone joined in his Discord whose name is "Lai" and went connecting back and forth just to get "THEIR IDEA".

Provided by the link below:
http://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-discussion/divergent-ragnarok-(dystopia)/

Post No. 2, it says that Divergent Ragnarok was stolen from their server's idea when they want to re-brand it as DivergenceRO.

So what I want to know is who is the guy named "Lai" I would like you to comment here so you can clear my name. I know mods can check the IP of members and please do.

I hate being accused specially if their accusation is baseless. What are the odds that you choose the same name? Its very low right? But right now it happened. So yeah, I need your feedbacks and if moderators can also sort things out much better. I know you can help clear the misunderstanding.

P.S. Who the F is "Lai"?

Blinzer

Quote from: emancipate01 on Feb 20, 2018, 08:19 AM
Hi RMS Guys,

I hate to open a topic about this but need to since I want to clear my name.

First of all, I was accused that I stole blinzers' server name. His main evidence is that someone joined in his Discord whose name is "Lai" and went connecting back and forth just to get "THEIR IDEA".

Provided by the link below:
http://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-discussion/divergent-ragnarok-(dystopia)/

Post No. 2, it says that Divergent Ragnarok was stolen from their server's idea when they want to re-brand it as DivergenceRO.

So what I want to know is who is the guy named "Lai" I would like you to comment here so you can clear my name. I know mods can check the IP of members and please do.

I hate being accused specially if their accusation is baseless. What are the odds that you choose the same name? Its very low right? But right now it happened. So yeah, I need your feedbacks and if moderators can also sort things out much better. I know you can help clear the misunderstanding.

P.S. Who the F is "Lai"?

Quote from: Blinzer on Feb 20, 2018, 04:36 AM
Stealing intellectual property is something that you can be sued for. You do know this, right?

Your post was made on Sunday:

Spoiler

[close]

The talk in chitchat clearly shows that by friday we had already decided on Divergent being in the name.

More evidence that this was an elongated discussion in my discord:

Spoiler

[close]

Furthermore, I had sent the list of possible names to my adviser on skype, and this is the screenshot(sent February 16):

and a private conversation, held once again on friday when i announced the possible new server names:

You have no community, nobody's going to back you on trying to steal my server's name. Revival of Ragnarok Online will continue to be rebranded as DivergenceRO as planned.

As a final statement, I would like to make an educated guess on who this could have been. Someone appeared recently in my discord without ever speaking, and it just so happens they appeared right around the time of the server re-brand. Who is it you might ask?

Emancipate has 4 posts, joined February 2018, and this seems more than likely as an attempt just to try to be annoying more than anything since the "website" looks like it was made in 10 minutes. You'd need to be at least somewhat competent to pull something like this off in a short amount of time like 2 days. I'm not drawing conclusions. just keen observations. :^)

No, this is my main evidence, quoted word for word, which you chose not to disclose when making this topic.

At this point, I would like to request sanctuary of the name "DivergenceRO" and all its derivatives from yC, so that if further attempts on my brand name are made they cannot use RMS as a medium to propagate this blatant theft and/or slander. I have two running, functional servers I can use as proof that I have a ragnarok server currently running, if necessary.

emancipate01

Quote from: Blinzer on Feb 20, 2018, 08:42 AM
No, this is my main evidence, quoted word for word, which you chose not to disclose when making this topic. Just drop it.

I linked the original post if you can see. I don't know to quote from another topic that's why but thanks for quoting it here. Now it's all visible.

yennar

Congratulations, you need another thread for a senseless discussion about an unimportant name from&for a nonexistent server.

Let us imagine, there are 2 people, old enough to think logical and act rational.
Imagine those 2 people fighting over a silly name for a server in a forum in multiple threads.
You can't imagine this?
Of course not - those 2 people would:

-know that ppl don't give a **** about this drama
-do not care for a discussion especially in this forum
-Rename their server, nonexistent as they are.
-don't give a f*ck about the other one and still do their own thing

As it stands now, its clear to me that emancipate01 doesn't really want to start a server up at all.
He is just in for the attention, so he really may have stolen the name. And Blinzer in his haste is just giving it to him, so he already lost. Good Game

Why do i think that?
Because i cannot even comprehend the idiocy someone has to have to make such a thread in his own forum for all the new players, nonexistent as they are, to see.

PS: simplest solution - Blinzer waits for emancipate01s server to shut down, then goes live with his Name.
The only thing he has to be afraid of is that within the next years there could be another one who takes the name.

emancipate01

Quote from: yennar on Feb 20, 2018, 09:14 AM
As it stands now, its clear to me that emancipate01 doesn't really want to start a server up at all.

Are you that sure? :) Congratulations to you! Wait for it okay?

yC

It was mentioned over and over again in this forum that there is nothing wrong with server having the same name.  In the last 10+ years there have been many aRO bRO etc and the most common has to be server names with the word Valkyrie in it.

Just like human names, can you be sued for calling your son David because there is another David existed at some point in time?  I hope not because there isn't that many unique names in the alphabetic to serve everyone without having very long names when we reach the year 2118.

As far as RMS is concerned, server name cannot be stolen because they are all free to use.  If anybody wish to protect their server names as part of their intellectual property, I believe the correct step is to send a DMCA to the infringing party or seek legal action.

Anyway, my view is, what's in a name doesn't matter because it is the server's effort that attracts and keeps players.