Total RO - Relaunched.

Started by Yasu, Aug 08, 2017, 01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yasu

Some of you may have noticed Total ROs relaunch 1 month ago.
Relaunch? Yes.

Shilo and Lonewolf, admins of Total RO, launched the server for the first time in July last year.
The server itself had some neat features, a few in progress, others planned, a fair cash shop and all in all it was promising.

On the first day we had a peak of 160+ players.
Several guilds joined, rushing towards WoE preparations and MVPing.
Shilo and Lonewolf, both highly ambitious and active at that time, were open for suggestions, bugs were fixed quickly,
their forum activity was high.

Two weeks later people started asking, when WoE will be implemented.
WoE? Nah, Battlegrounds is coming first, you guys need to gear up for WoE first.
That's the point where the first few guilds left. And the BG desaster begun.
Queues bugged, random disconnects during BGs, no rewards etc.
Fixing them 'all' also took a few weeks. Server population kept decreasing.
('All'.. yeah, well, according to one player who stayed until the end, not even this.)

While fighting with the BG update, forum topics were ignored more frequently.
At first it wasn't a big issue. Of course they might be busy with BG and other updates, or something RL related came up, so no one was complaining.
But even after bumping posts 3-4 times still no replies. And no replies to PMs.
More and more posts were ignored and more frequently a 'works for us' solution took place.

A friend and I lost interest in RO at that time, so we stepped back a bit, but followed Total ROs progress in the forum news.
Like the Halloween event, with real prizes and the introduced shop with real rewards.
Oh, and the Hardcore mode challenge, where the first 99/70 wins a tablet.
Seems familiar? http://forum.ratemyserver.net/rant-and-rave/total-ragnarok-online-still-waiting-for-my-tablet/
Also the Halloween event winner and other players ordering from the shop apparently never recieved their prices.

The last update came in March.
Later that month Shilo and Lonewolf disappeared. No sign of life.
Until May. When the server was shut down. Without any information. And sadly it started growning again at that time.
A few days later the announcement of Total ROs 'Grand Re-Opening'.
First announced without a wipe, but due to complaints of new players (most of them quit after 1 week) a poll was started,
the wipe decided 2 days before launch.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the wipe, others were not. So please don't decide it 2 days before. That's not how you motivate loyal players.

Along with relaunch hype a retired Total RO GM left a post:

Can you promise a GM team that isn't uncoordinated?
GMs that are not instantly hired without a screening process?
Admins that won't disappear or delete forum chats when something they don't like is said?
GMs that are more powerless than players?

If so, hope you have a good release. Best of luck.

Just to note as well, a reopening is usually not a new opening. Thus a wipe for players who are dedicated is a stab in the back. If they wish to start fresh themselves, they can make new accounts themselves, but to remove their event exclusives they would have earned, as well as any donation etc is unjust.

Don't ditch your vets for a wave of newcomers. That's new puppy syndrome.

Delete forum chats.. Yes, it happened a few times. Also some post are missing.

My favorite post is was from one player who lost his ghostring using the safe card remover.
It should have been safe, but it wasn't. Equipment broke, card lost, forum thread went like this:

'My equipment + card are lost, even with safe card remover'
'Are you sure you used the right NPC?'
'...Yes?'
'We're looking into this'
*silence for one week*
'And...?'
'we couldn't find anything'
'So...?'
That's it, no more replies, the player left, our dear admins disappeared around that time. And the thread is now deleted.

Regardless of all the funny things above, we gave it a try again. Maybe Shilo and Lonewolf changed their attitude.

Then 10 days after relaunch, again the BG update first. At least it worked this time without major problems.

But that's it. No more updates, posts or whatever. Shilo has 'checked' the froum 2-3 since then.
So we left her post.

Another week passed, and honestly, I don't expect any response anytime soon.
Our last active GM (Jack Frost mentioned in picture 1) quit too.

Server population is down from ~60 to <10 within 1 and a half week, now mostly shops in autotrade.
The server itself is still great and all, but it makes no sense playing there without
updates, support and bug fixes.
And since it seems the only reason for this relaunch was cash grabbing, I can't recommend playing there.
At least until Shilo and Lonewolf change something drastically in thier attitude.

I'm leaving a link to this post for Shilo, so she can reply if she wants to, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Daifuku.

That's quite sad, I've aways backed her up when there was rumors or trashtalk. Thought she took care of the Tablet reward problem back then (at least that's what she said she'd do over skype)
The Shilo I got to meet is a super nice person, I remember how much passion she had when she started TotalRO.

Either way, Yasu - I feel sorry that you had to make such an experience!

luffyd3rd

She's a good person tho but rekt this experience. find a better game.

Oldschooler

Quote from: Daifuku. on Aug 08, 2017, 02:23 PM
That's quite sad, I've aways backed her up when there was rumors or trashtalk. Thought she took care of the Tablet reward problem back then (at least that's what she said she'd do over skype)
The Shilo I got to meet is a super nice person, I remember how much passion she had when she started TotalRO.

Either way, Yasu - I feel sorry that you had to make such an experience!

Should go apologize more to the players of your own failed project.

Kris

Quote from: Oldschooler on Aug 09, 2017, 08:05 PM

this a pretty savage comment lmaoo
2k21 Return

luffyd3rd

Quote from: Oldschooler on Aug 09, 2017, 08:05 PM

best comment of 2k17 lol SAVAGE but TRUE

SukiChii

I was thinking of joining that server because of the recent wipe, but I'm glad I didn't. Would've been a similar experience as AaeriaRO.