A fair warning to other server owners

Started by Cawliflower, Oct 22, 2011, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cawliflower

I hired Zell (his RMS profile: http://forum.ratemyserver.net/index.php?action=profile;u=18708) at my server, DivinityRO, with strict guidelines on how I run the server and team. One of the first rules we always require followed is to not engage players in debates or fights as it isn't professional and does not set a good image. On my server, a GM is someone whom is a leader of sorts - without a doubt level headed, fair and unbiased. I hold every staff member, including myself, accountable to these regulations as I set the example they should always follow. Over the course of the last few days, which I wasn't aware of until this confrontation took place, Zell had been picking fights with other guilds besides the one he was in. The problem with this is not only is it a privilege to have a legitimate character, but you also have to follow the GM rules & regulations on the character itself - which he and every staff member I hire agrees to when I screenshot the agreement in game after they read the GM Handbook. Today he started to fight and caused a lot of commotion with an already irate player. While he won't own up to any of his mistakes, plays victim and points the finger at me as an Admin (which myself and the other players feel is completely disrespectful as I treat EVERYONE with respect) for his naive and childish mistakes, he was ultimately terminated because he was acting unreasonable when being reprimanded, throwing a fit and completely disrespecting my other Administrator as well as Chief GM. I then proceed to remedy the situation with the player and he is completely reasonable. He felt attacked and very offended as not only is he one of the original players (a veteran) but he couldn't get his point across as Zell would just talk over him. This is a habitual problem with Zell, so with talking to other players who witnessed it and reading chat logs I completely apologized to the player and he agreed he was out of line, as well, when I told him how he was out of line. Very understanding and respectful to me.

The point of this topic is to bounce away any RMS flaming that may be coming soon (people generally resort to portraying the side of the events they feel happened), and to also forewarn other Server Owners. I found Zell through RMS and he seemed like a great candidate. He isn't a great GM in the fact that you must be able to have patience and be understanding to all audiences. A GM represents the server as a whole and my judgment (since I hired the person). I was very insulted, however, when I banned him for causing drama and tension inside of the game and then on the forums, because he PMed me something offensive. I removed his contact information as he was allowed to leave quietly and give it out, but not in the manner at which he was going about it. He sat in town and transparently played "victim" the entire time and kept stressing the issue. Then, when I warned him in PM, he would read off my PMs in the way he wanted to portray them to the players... not professional. There is a reason I never allow the staff to read off punishments and such in public. It isn't anyone's business and that is not acceptable in my eyes. I don't put up with humiliation of my staff to players or vice versa.

Bottom line, I don't allow this on my server and this is a fair warning to other owners.

Screenshots:
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/divinityrogame/gmzell_forum.jpg
The forum post I got after I banned him for the overreacting

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/divinityrogame/fired.jpg
When we fired him from the staff, the great response I received. Again, this is how he acts when he is reprimanded

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/divinityrogame/agreement.jpg
The agreement to our rules & regulations as a DivinityRO GM - doesn't mean much, people generally don't read agreements and sign in real life, same online

Any questions, comments or concerns? Let me know. I tried to deal with him, but it's much easier to fire the staff member and get the drama and antics off of the server. It creates a lot of stress and isn't very motivational for me as an Administrator. Not only that, I should have been able to trust him to act correctly when I was sick and not as active as normal. While I was working on scripting, I have to take time away to deal with a person who should be keeping the peace.

Thanks everyone for reading!
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

Erebus

That's what you get for allowing legit characters. Don't allow them and you will get rid of that crap and 50% of all corruption accusations. In the long run, legit characters for staff just aren't worth it.

Cawliflower

Quote from: Erebus on Oct 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
That's what you get for allowing legit characters. Don't allow them and you will get rid of that crap and 50% of all corruption accusations. In the long run, legit characters for staff just aren't worth it.
In my server, it is necessary. If you hire competent people, you don't have problems with legitimate characters - guess that was my downfall in this scenario. I don't allow items to be dropped or traded on their GMs so there isn't room for corruption, either. In my server, I MUST allow legitimate characters so they understand all of the customization and can support the content.

Thanks for the reply.
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

Yukino

All/most GMs make mistakes like this at times (either power/authority gets to their heads or that players complain too much/accuse too much to the point of GMs blowing their heads off--really depends on the situation), though thank you for the heads-up nevertheless. I like how you are always serious with your server--I can sense the passion and care you have towards your server. Great job (regardless of what happened here), and I hope your server continues to be successful!
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Cawliflower

Quote from: Yukino on Oct 22, 2011, 10:01 PM
All/most GMs make mistakes like this at times (either power/authority gets to their heads or that players complain too much/accuse too much to the point of GMs blowing their heads off--really depends on the situation), though thank you for the heads-up nevertheless. I like how you are always serious with your server--I can sense the passion and care you have towards your server. Great job (regardless of what happened here), and I hope your server continues to be successful!
Thank you Yukino. I understand that, I really do - people make mistakes, that is life. However, if I let it slide with one person (especially fighting with players and trying to be correct) it shows weakness. I even asked him and questioned him as to why it even mattered to fight with this player, and of course I was "in the wrong" and he was being victimized. If he hadn't been so stubborn and rude with us when we were trying to coach him, this wouldn't have happened. I have not had this issue myself as I defuse the situations and be a voice of reason. My Assistant Admin. and Chief GM both do the same, so we expect the highest from the GMs, themselves, especially during training. Being as he was in training, to show these kind of personality traits doesn't look good and I figured we would just clean up the mess before it gets worse.

I really appreciate your kind words, though. I do care A LOT about this server, its success and my community. I absolutely enjoy each player, even the needy bunch. It is all in the job of being an Administrator. Just thought I'd share this with the RMS community and let it die. If I had advice for any other Administrator, be fair/reasonable and give their players the time of day... in the end, I have reaped the rewards of getting the utmost respect from the community. I generally don't have issues with rule violators and such.

Derp

Was this really necessary to post on RMS forums? This is something all Admins deal with at some point or another. This seems more like a petty attempt to get back at the GM out of spite. Also,
Quote from: Cawliflower on Oct 22, 2011, 08:18 PMI hold every staff member, including myself, accountable to these regulations as I set the example they should always follow.
coming from "Cawlin", AKA Funsized is rather amusing, seeing as how you're blacklisted for this very same thing, in addition to corruption. Not to say the GM in question is the perfect candidate for such a position, but this thread should certainly be taken with a grain of salt, given the history of the Admin and how he runs his servers. Though, it seems no one really realizes it what with the fake name and all. Don't get me wrong, he could be a totally different person, and this post is not meant to troll anyone, including him. Honestly, I'd just like to get a little clarity out there just in case the majority, as it already seems, does not realize who Cawliflower really is. Of course those who haven't actually worked with him would not realize that "Robert" is from Texas, so is Colin/Funsized/Skinnyboy. "Robert" has a female Chief GM who is also from Texas. Anyone seeing any resemblances yet? Any Mod or person who previously has known Colin by his blacklisted aliases could verify this as well as his friend that not only has he gone by the name Cawlin but that he lived in Texas as well.

So the entire point of this response is not to throw Cawliflower under the bus, so to speak, but rather let everyone know that they should not condemn someone just from the word of a previously condemned trouble maker. Though I can admit that the evidence here is undeniable, I'd really like to hear from those in question, including the player, if at all possible, and I should think that most others would as well. True, this guy's responses to his ban/fire were inappropriate, and I personally would not hire him for any position based on this evidence, that's not to say that he wasn't, in some way, provoked by either the player or the team. Why block his contact privileges? All I see here being the reason why, is
Quote from: Cawliflower on Oct 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
I removed his contact information as he was allowed to leave quietly and give it out, but not in the manner at which he was going about it.

But why? Not to mention, all the proof I see inside of the screenshots show me nothing other than an irate response which, while inappropriate, I would also be a bit irked if my contact privileges with my friends were revoked. So I ask again, why would you revoke them? I'd say there should be a reason to if you did, and that certainly was not posted here, showing only an irate GM being fired to the people as opposed to why he was pissed off. On top of that, the in-game screenshots only show him admitting guilt and him agreeing to your terms. Nowhere here do I actually see any proof telling me that he was a bad candidate other than his inappropriate response to the ban. So I say again, until I believe any of this, I think either solid proof should be provided or both parties step up to the plate to explain the situation.

Like I said. The only reason to this post is just to give light to the RMS community that this topic is almost certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

Cawliflower

Please provide proof of these accusations. I won't answer to the likes of you, one who hides behind a troll account to throw around false statements. I don't know who Funsized is, and just because I am from Texas doesn't mean you can accuse me of that. However, I find that very odd that you would know so much about that person. Rightfully so, you created that account to troll this thread. Therefore, I have reported you to yC.

Good riddance.

Edit:

I also wanted to add that I don't have a female Chief GM from Texas. I don't know where you're getting that information. Again, please don't de-rail my thread with drama.

Derp

I have as much a right to post my concerns as you do in posting this thread. My concerns are legitimate, relevant, and can be backed up as soon as those that you have made enemies of (there are so many it's laughable) respond in this thread. My identity is my own, and it has nothing to do with this thread, hence the alternate account. Again, my post is no more inflammatory or less informative than yours. The only claim you have to me is that my evidence is circumstantial. While this is true, there is still enough to warrant consideration, especially as my claims can be further backed up, as I had said, by others.

Edit:
Quote from: Cawliflower on Oct 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
I also wanted to add that I don't have a female Chief GM from Texas.
I linked to her forum profile on your server forum, genius.

Cawliflower

While that is understandable, I don't know you nor do I know any Funsized. Therefore, I have nothing to say regarding that person. Secondly, the agreement of the staff member was before he was fired - I was showing the community I force all staff to agree to my terms before we hire.

I can't give you the sense of sight. If you can't read or comprehend the screenshots, that's a personal problem. Nothing to debate with you on my end. You've said your piece, and I said I won't comment. Take care! :)

P.S. - That is exactly how Zell would speak. The sarcastic and naive comments like "genius" and such. He would also never admit to being incorrect. I see a very similar personality. :) Hence why they made an alternate account at 10:58 when they read this thread.

Erebus

Quote from: Cawliflower on Oct 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
Again, please don't de-rail my thread with drama.

Umm, you realize that all this thread is...is drama? That's why it's in the Rand and Rave section

EDIT: just keep it up and you'll win the honor of going to the Soap Opera section :)

Cawliflower

Quote from: Erebus on Oct 23, 2011, 01:28 AM
Umm, you realize that all this thread is...is drama? That's why it's in the Rand and Rave section
Oh, I apologize... I meant "relevant drama". The "Funsized" drama does not belong in this thread. De-railing my thread with a topic that has nothing to do with me, isn't necessary.

Thank you.

yC

We don't allow using a second account for the purpose of destruction (or anything actually).  Any claim with evident can be forwarded to me in PM with your real account if identity is a concern.  Derp account is removed but I'll keep those posts until proven right/wrong. 

Just don't be silly, if one is allowed to create more than one account then who create more accounts will have the strongest voice.  No point for a discussion.  See Cawliflower will create bunch of accounts to say he is not bleh bleh and Derp creates bunch of accounts to counter it.  Give up, it's childish.

ZellDincht1226

Quote from: Derp on Oct 23, 2011, 12:54 AM
Was this really necessary to post on RMS forums? This is something all Admins deal with at some point or another. This seems more like a petty attempt to get back at the GM out of spite. Also,  coming from "Cawlin", AKA Funsized is rather amusing, seeing as how you're blacklisted for this very same thing, in addition to corruption. Not to say the GM in question is the perfect candidate for such a position, but this thread should certainly be taken with a grain of salt, given the history of the Admin and how he runs his servers. Though, it seems no one really realizes it what with the fake name and all. Don't get me wrong, he could be a totally different person, and this post is not meant to troll anyone, including him. Honestly, I'd just like to get a little clarity out there just in case the majority, as it already seems, does not realize who Cawliflower really is. Of course those who haven't actually worked with him would not realize that "Robert" is from Texas, so is Colin/Funsized/Skinnyboy. "Robert" has a female Chief GM who is also from Texas. Anyone seeing any resemblances yet? Any Mod or person who previously has known Colin by his blacklisted aliases could verify this as well as his friend that not only has he gone by the name Cawlin but that he lived in Texas as well.

So the entire point of this response is not to throw Cawliflower under the bus, so to speak, but rather let everyone know that they should not condemn someone just from the word of a previously condemned trouble maker. Though I can admit that the evidence here is undeniable, I'd really like to hear from those in question, including the player, if at all possible, and I should think that most others would as well. True, this guy's responses to his ban/fire were inappropriate, and I personally would not hire him for any position based on this evidence, that's not to say that he wasn't, in some way, provoked by either the player or the team. Why block his contact privileges? All I see here being the reason why, is
But why? Not to mention, all the proof I see inside of the screenshots show me nothing other than an irate response which, while inappropriate, I would also be a bit irked if my contact privileges with my friends were revoked. So I ask again, why would you revoke them? I'd say there should be a reason to if you did, and that certainly was not posted here, showing only an irate GM being fired to the people as opposed to why he was pissed off. On top of that, the in-game screenshots only show him admitting guilt and him agreeing to your terms. Nowhere here do I actually see any proof telling me that he was a bad candidate other than his inappropriate response to the ban. So I say again, until I believe any of this, I think either solid proof should be provided or both parties step up to the plate to explain the situation.

Like I said. The only reason to this post is just to give light to the RMS community that this topic is almost certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm surprised somebody actually saw it from my point of view. Also, I'm surprised to hear this person's back story, as everything you mentioned sounds exactly like him. he does have a female "Chief GM" (Although he calls it Assistant Administrator)

While I may not have taken screenshots to disprove most of the things he's said, I didn't feel it necessary, as I didn't expect him to act like a big baby and take this to RMS forums.

Anyways; my side of the story; believe it if you wish...

I had gotten into a pretty heavy debate over trans classes with one of the players on my legit account. Nothing EVER at ANY point turned vulgar from either of us, I respected the player and he respected me. We were actually friends, but something was probably bothering him lately. I don't know. Either way, other players found our chat irritating, and said person I was debating with decided to post his share on the server forums, out of anger. This is when said admin got involved. He proceeded to recall all of the GMs, and ask what had happened. I gave my side of the story, and another GM who was with me the entire time did as well. The other GM said I should have stopped debating with said player, and I should have, but he also came to my defense saying I didn't really do anything wrong besides that. Then, I get belittled and told how delusional I am for thinking I was right in any of my arguments, and how I clearly don't know how to read, because I didn't abide by his "rules" (Which you notice, he never posted his server rules, and if you read them you'll see that I deserved no infraction, as the rules state to not be vulgar or demeaning towards players, and again, that never once happened.) (Then again, should he come back to reply to this, he will no doubt change the rules to favor himself).

So anyways, after being insulted by the admin for awhile, I'm let away with a warning. People wanted to know what happened, and all I told them was I was probably going to get fired, as that is how it seemed from his reaction. I then wanted to quit the server as I could tell the admin was starting to dislike me for "drama" I'm causing (which would have easily went away within a few hours had he left things alone, I would have apologized to the player and maybe even hunt something for him in return). Point is, I loved that server for the community. Every player on there felt like a close friend, even if I barely knew them. They liked me too, and were worried that I was going to get fired, and didn't want me to leave. Anyways, the admin brings me to jail, tells me how wrong I'm doing things, starts insulting me some more saying "Can you not read?" "You're never right" etc; and fires me over broadcast. I ask that he let me go from jail so that I can give my items to the community that helped me so much. He did let me go, after talking my ear off again. This is when things get worse. As I'm giving my items away to players, most of them are upset by the announcement, and start going to the admin. The admin then comes back to town where I'm giving my things away, and gives me some little message along the lines of "Don't even think about going to RMS with this". I told him to get over himself, as I'm not that type of person. Of course, I'm banned for that remark. I then make my way over to the forums quickly, and post a "Goodbye" topic with nothing inside but my skype contact info. I check back around 5 minutes later, and my contact info was bleeped out (Like this; *********) and he closed and hid the topic with the statement "This is only meant to start drama. Removed." I got REALLY angry at that point, because I loved the people on that server, and they had no way of contacting me anymore. Ever. I did send him that nasty message, but he had absolutely no right to bleep out my contact info. If he really wanted no drama to start, he could have closed the topic and left it at that. But no, he took things a little too far.

Anyways, that's my piece of the story, sure, I made some mistakes, and I even admitted to them. He still kept belittling me though, which he conveniently left out to make himself look better. No, this "Derp" is not me, I had no idea of "Cawliflowers" past, or even who he truly was. I don't keep tabs on RMS drama, or other related crap. Hence why it took me so long just to find this topic.

Quote from: Erebus on Oct 22, 2011, 08:57 PM

Funny story, when I applied to be a GM on his server, and these are my personal beliefs, I applied to be a GM only, as I felt having a legit would screw up things. I've seen that kind of stuff happen before. (And gee, look what happened now!) But he literally kept insisting over MSN that I play his server legitly. So whatever. He set himself up for destruction.

Anyways, with that off my chest, hopefully people don't see this as a one-sided thing. I was practically calm and collected through the entire situation, until the very end, which I mentioned. He kept egging things on, even when I didn't want them to be. I had hoped to avoid coming to RMS to deal with these silly little problems, but I guess he just had to defame my character a little to make himself feel better or something.

Cawliflower

As I don't want to waste more time on Zell, I won't read too much of his reply - I skimmed over the lies and exaggeration. He generally likes to twist things, which is why there is no screenshot proof posted by him.

However, I will admit that I did question him very quickly and forcefully. The reason is he went about messaging a few people pressuring them to "get me as soon as possible" like he was in a dire emergency. Quite frankly, I have nothing more to say to him. He is a habitual liar and delusional. I already told him I feel as if he is incompetent, immature, self righteous and delusional. I'll own up to it. I said all of the above.

You can be the judge of this thread. My players (and my success, 30-40 players online at a time upon 2 weeks of opening, with 19 solid reviews) have a lot of respect and good views of me, my decisions and my leadership. Trust me on this, if I was a "bad administrator", I would have forum reviews, RMS page reviews and such out the ying yang.

Let's be real, Zell is mad he was fired. He was fired for badmouthing a player, starting drama/fights with players and ultimately got NO WARNING because he wouldn't own up to it in remediational meetings and blamed everything on everyone else. I don't condone this on my server, so for other Administrators out there... if you do, great! Hire Zell.

I'm done with this thread. Reply all you want, but I have nothing more to say. I have already wasted too much time on it as is and should have stuck with just opening the topic and leaving it alone for good. The reason of this topic was as a warning, not to stray my time and resources from developing and my server.

I've learned people are going to find the negativity in every part of any thread posted. People will try and steer away the real issue and demoralize the idea in question, take Derp for example. If anyone is as mindless as him to concoct a scheme that I am "Funsized", well that is just pathetic. I have more important things to do with my time, but I guess if you're not talked about, you're not relevant.

If you take anything away from this thread, DO NOT HIRE ZELL. Trust me on this issue, none of the players even speak about him anymore. He acts like these are his best friends from childhood. He was a GM for a week (or so?), which is why I easily fired him. Cry me a river, of course I won't feed drama or unnecessary negative energy on my forums. You sat in game crying about it to players who thought it was actually hilarious - I decided it was time to remove you. You agreed to play by my rules and you don't agree to something you can't follow. It's my server at the end of the day and I know what is best for it which is why I give the community ample opportunity to suggest and they're generally accepted suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I don't know why Zell re-clarified that I allow legit characters played, I proudly do allow this. It isn't a bad thing in my eyes and is the core reason the GMs are so locked down - that way they can't go ape and ruin the economy, etc. For cases like yours, Zell, I am glad I have these views. I can't imagine the harm you would have done if you had more access.

P.S.S. Zell's "friends" from the server (the guild he was in) are going to get on RMS to reply to this thread. This is because he feels he can defame me and they're offended - mostly because he's putting a bad light on our server and staff.

Love

Hi, my name is love. This is the second time I'm typing this out because I couldnt see the stupid captcha thing so I clicked request another image and it refreshed and erased my whole s***. Anyway, this ones gonna be way shorter but thats cool i'll get my point across.

ok so i play on divinityro, the server where this all happened. I was the guildleader of the guild zell was in. he was cool to play ro with, but broke the rules as a gm.  the thing is, cookie was super cool about it. he said he could keep his legit and play and all that, but he spazzed out. lol bro? whats up? me and my friends in guild told him to keep playing with us. but he wanted to just keep b**** in town and talking s***.  he got what he deserved, i hate to say.

me and my friends joined this server like 2 weeks ago. there were 5 of us (friends irl). Now 9 of us are playing here. 4 of us are well seasoned ro players, and would like to think we can tell by now how a gm's gonna be by the way he acts and does things. none of use get even a hit of corruption from cookie. if we did we would have just gone to another server. anyway this brings me to my next point

@ zell - i know at the very least 20 people irl who play ro in new york. more than one person in a state can play ro, you should know, you're living here too. I'm sure tx has more than one person playing ro. in fact, heres a little bit of info. i knew a female gm from texas too. does that mean shes funsized too? it was gm rain or raine (i forgot how to spell it lol) on the server psiblade. actually....maybe she IS the real funsized...probably not though...she just made colors for the characters and s*** lol. my point is, you cant say hes from texas so hes the same dude. thats retarded bro. i think that pretty much shuts down you're whole funsized theory. dunno who funsized was, but no one in my guild (your former guild) believes cookie is anything but a good gm. I talked to them about this thread in guild chat. we lol'd. but seriously though.

listen man, you were cool. stop being lame. we want the server to grow and you're messing it up for us as player badmouthing it and cookie. chill out man. you left, so leave it alone. its the internet. go do something else. join a final fantasy 8 forum and b**** there about how zell was better than squall or something lol.

side note - this guy hit the nail on the head. cookie has been nothing but great to me and everyone on this server, as far as i have seen.

Quote from: Yukino on Oct 22, 2011, 10:01 PM