SOUL LINKERS... do they suck?

Started by PhillepinO, Apr 30, 2007, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillepinO

im at a 100/100/20 server with a max lvl of 255 and max stats of 255

im a soul linker and i wanted to see if i am useful at all..  except the obvious, an mvp killer.

other than that...

what's a soul linker's use?

they have good linking i know.  however when i went to the pvp room, i cannot attack a single person.  this really sux for the soul linkers.  i therefore conclude i cannot attack any people in woe.

i do have another question..

can soul linkers attack the emperium?

Emeralda

They are great as support for people who don't only think about charging at the enemy all the time.

Dais

yeah just think yourself as a priest with a complete diffrent set of skill

Kurogasa

They are not really meant for attacking. If you must, you can get into happy mode(sit next to tk class and /doridori til the icon comes out) then use earth spike scrolls on ppl. They will not run out(99.9% channce they wont be spent iirc) so its semi usefull.

PhillepinO

what about... in WoE?

can they attack the emperium?

and u guys didnt clarify if i can attack any person in someway besides using scrols

Kurogasa

With a dagger. But its not recomended unles you plan to status people. They are not a class meant for killing but for buffing and disableing others in pvp/woe.

CoDevil

I guess Soulinker does suck XD

Emeralda

Soul Linkers own if used properly for support. Every guild that wants to be top tier should have at least 2.

PhillepinO

ok, can they attack the emperium? o.o xD

Dais

Glenn

They can with normal attacks. The magic wont hit if thats what your asking.
-- Ragna-Retired --

Kurogasa

a woe build should not have the esma skills.

Glenn

Well I was going off what he said. Not to mention hes on max lv/stat 255 server.. so id assume they have plenty of skills as well. I also thought thats what he was refering to by 'attack'... because attacking with a dagger/weapon is kinda obvious.
-- Ragna-Retired --

PhillepinO

yepp i was talkin about esma skills

soo.. pretty much soul linkers are pretty useless in this midrate server

Emeralda

If you think like that you could also say that Prests are useless. But I guess it's alright. Playing Soul Linkers require some skills afterall.

alphamage

Being a Linker is all about doing the right things over a period of time to the right pepole.

The adored skill named "eske" boosts their attack rate by 300% and decreases their defense by 1/2(that is considering you have a server that lets you use es- type magic on pepole). Also, Linkers don't suck in PvP, they can keep a PvP party happy as well as dishing alot of damage at the same time. Meele attackers without re-location skills(like high Jump, Body Relocation) are at a complete disadvantage, as their debuff named "eswoo" can be used to slow your enemy down to a crawl. They also have a skill named "Eska" that gives the target 90 mDEF, however, the defence changes randomly. Lastly, there are the three damage-type spells: Estin, Stun, and Esma. Stin works great on small monsters, and it works when you use eswoo on a target before you use estin, however, most pepole perfer Estun, due to the fact it can stun the opponent on a chance. Esma, is used directly after any es- type magic, and this deals 10 hits(or was it 12?) depending on mDEF and element.

Most SLs, i've met, are too mundane to use elements during PvP, which ends up in little to no damage. Most pepole wear angeling cards, and angeling hats, which is of the holy element, theirfore, if you used shadow element, your damage can be increased or decreased depending on their other elemental armor attributes.

Kurogasa

in normal servers those skills cannot be cast on people... however you can use that 4x damage -1/2 def skill on castle guardians to basicly edp them. Have a priest support them and some extra firepowere along with them and it works great. Im really sad that in most pservers people wont dare build up a woe linker and make it their woe char.. it can be really helpfull and crippleing to some enemy classes if you use the buffs creatively.

Ojimaru

Eske is absolutely golden if you have a potter Alchemist. Parasites ignore Cranial and Poo Poo and hit hidden units. Give them Quad damage, sit back, and smile.

Building a Linker requires a ton of patience, skill and motivation. What I've learnt from building one on a low-rate server with no reseters is this: other than dagger (STR) builds, play the early stages as one would a forger/potter, which is to stay as a Novice till about level 30 before making the Job change. Why? As a Novice you have access to better gear than you would a Taekwon Kid! Aside from the Angel Set, Stilettos will give you a ton more damage to level with than your measly 4 ATK kicks.

Next, if you're a pure INT like mine, get some spell scrolls (some way, somehow) and get Sprint 10, then Flying Side Kick 7 if you plan to solo to job 40 - 46. You'll be needing more spell scrolls as time goes on, so go smack some Elder Willows around, once you can.

Ka-builds, aka STR/Dagger builds are much easier and level normally as a Taekwon Kid. After the job change, go grab Kaahi to max and say good bye to normal recovery HP rates. /gg

In WoE, each build would have its own role. Esma builds generally aren't for WoE, but can provide small precast support if they can spare the SP pots. A pair of support Linkers can be a menace if they're Spirit links are maxed according to their guild structure. STR and VIT builds are awesome tanks thanks to Kaite and Kaahi.

Add> Of course, transitioning from a Taekwon to Soul Linker is a piece of cake on a server with a stat resetter. /... Just go STR/DEX/AGI for Taekwon and change to the appropriate stats later. /pif

finnith

In high rates, such as the server I play on (HiddenRO), Eske is really annoying cause Soul Linker's cast it on party members who then do 300% ATK. Esma is really strong on high rates too
S>Rock lol

Play on the Excalibur Network servers.

http://www.excalibur-ro.com/

Ojimaru

That's one strange server you're on, because, as stated, Es skills don't work on players. Ever. Soul Linker Spirit only extends Ka skills to other classes, not Es skills.

Pandora

There is a setting you can turn on/off in the eAthena settings to make SL's skill work on players as well. I think it's best to leave it off (as official). Soul Linker are great at PVM and support, they are not meant to be also great at PVP.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Wynter

In my opinion, no, they do not suck. While 99% of soul linkers are support build, there is the slim 1% that know about a soul linkers melee ability dubbed, Battle Linkers.

A battle linker runs off of a Dagger of counter, and pure agi equips. The DoC gives you an automatic 91 crit which is high enough to be able to take 0 DEX and still hit players quite well. Since DEX is out of the way, max out AGI for ASPD (your shooting for atleast 185 ASPD, more is always better) and ether max STR and put the remaining into VIT, or divide it equally between STR and VIT.

As for skills, I personally recommend Max Running, Warm wind, and High jump from the Taekwon list. Then max out all of the KA type skills as they are your backbone and bread n butter, (Kaizel, Kaahi, Kaupe, Kaite, and Kaina) put the remaining points amongst your prefered Spirit buffs, though you'll rarely need them in this build.

Practice! you'll need it for WoE, yes i said WoE!

Once your confident in your melee abilities, head to your desired castle, use all your KA-skills, High Jump over the walls, Run past the guardians and other players (or take them on if your feeling ready) straight to the emp room. (I've made it from beginning to emp room of Kriemhild in, i kid you not, 30 seconds) activate Warm Wind level 6, Shadow and work them emp. Decent STR + Shadow weapon + crit + 185 or more ASPD = a really good basic attack you'll have that emp broken before your enemy can do anything about it.

Now lets looks at a Battle Linkers worth in PVP.

Your KA-skills are just as valuable to you here as in WoE,

Kaizel revives you if you fall,
Kaahi restores your HP when your hit,
Kaupe allows you to auto dodge a would-be fatal attack (you can dodge Asura with this, and the melee half of breaker)
Kaite lets you reflect 2 single target magic attacks back at the caster, dealing the dmg as it would be to you (ever seen a prof get hit with their own double casted bolt spell, it rocks)

Use the same tactics as in WoE, jump/run around to confuse your opponent(s) then hit them with your high crit/aspd.

Amukai

Soul linkers don't suck, but they are not really for PKing, they are meant to buff other players.

I honestly don't use them though ;o

lol Wynter u kinda res'd this old post

but i might as well put in my input......
soul linkers r a pvm class they can deal MASSIVE dmg to monsters
but they are 90% of the time useless when it comes to pvp
and they can buff other ppl with special buffs but still there r much better at pvm

phranxis

you can say soul linkers are weak.(and they are)

the link skills are sometimes not advantagable, like the knight link.

Amukai

Okay, recently I have been pvping with a soul linker.

I do a lot of damage with max int, I use estun and then esma.
The Ka-skills are a great help, they can reflect magic damage, revive you, and more.

If you do want a PK Soul Linker, you should get some good cards like:
Guard of Deaf [1] (Guard + GTB card)
or
Odin's blessing (refined) + Valkyries shield + Friggs Circlet (refined)
(I play a server with a +100 refiner though)
You should also get:
Tao Gunka (High risk -armorname-)
Ghost property armor (I think its Ghostring card)
Or to protect from SinX using poison attacks Evil Druid card

I highly recommend Tao, GTB and property armors, they are a great investment.

Yes, there is other cards you may use, but these are the best I could think of.

Amukai~

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
MODIFY- I play a server where you can use Es-skills on players.

phranxis

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

i was wrong. (they still are weak)

they are strong in reflecting and evading attacks. they are weak because they dont have skill to kill.
they are also strong against champions, using the skill kaupe.

Minkyu

A SL is respected as much as a HP but not that strong...