Renewal interface in a pre-renewal Aegis server

Started by Chandrian, Jan 11, 2016, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandrian

First of all, I must say I've been using this site for quite a while, but only registered today. Maybe someone who knows or experienced this in their server can help me :)

Anyway, I know it's possible to have renewal interface in a pre-renewal based server, but I've only seen this in eAthena/rAthena/Hercules based servers. Our server is based on Aegis (the one used by the official servers for proper skill behaviour and whatnot, which is why we prefer it over eAthena) and currently has episode 13.2 (the last one before renewal I think?), but very few servers use Aegis.

We just can't find a compatible client, all those that our GM has found can't connect to current server.

I'm not an admin or a GM on that server, just a player trying to help, so I could theorically contact the GM if anyone did face this problem in the past on their servers and found a solution.

Playtester

Impossible, unless you can modify the Aegis source code. The packages have changed and you need to implement interfaces for the new packets the client can send.

If you want that, use rAthena, it is already pretty close-to-official on pre-renewal setting by now. If something is not official yet, can always fix it, rAthena code is so much easier to edit than Aegis code.

Chandrian

Quote from: Playtester on Jan 11, 2016, 01:22 PMImpossible, unless you can modify the Aegis source code. The packages have changed and you need to implement interfaces for the new packets the client can send.
Yes, I know this, but I thought that as it's such an old episode (and the last one of pre-renewal) maybe someone who has or had an Aegis server would have kept that modified package if they did do this.

Quote from: Playtester on Jan 11, 2016, 01:22 PMIf you want that, use rAthena, it is already pretty close-to-official on pre-renewal setting by now. If something is not official yet, can always fix it, rAthena code is so much easier to edit than Aegis code.
Not for me to decide :P Besides, the community voted Aegis over any other options.

Suspension

Maybe you should re-do the poll calrifying that:
- Aegis is completelly illegal to use (*athena based servers, while they need illegally modified clients to connect, are legal)
- Aegis cannot be customized as heavily as open source projects
- Aegis has worse latency than *athena servers
- Aegis hardware requirements are worse than *athena.
- You cannot choose the client you one to use.
Quote from: exii on Jun 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

Chandrian

Quote from: Suspension on Jan 11, 2016, 05:06 PM
- Aegis is completelly illegal to use (*athena based servers, while they need illegally modified clients to connect, are legal)
Server had been up since 2005 till 2010 with Aegis, but we had changed to renewal in the last year, so we had the renewal interface and all that.

Quote from: Suspension on Jan 11, 2016, 05:06 PM- Aegis cannot be customized as heavily as open source projects
We do not want any customization. Server is as similar to official old pre-renewal server as possible.

Quote from: Suspension on Jan 11, 2016, 05:06 PM- Aegis has worse latency than *athena servers
- Aegis hardware requirements are worse than *athena.
Didn't know this.

Quote from: Suspension on Jan 11, 2016, 05:06 PM- You cannot choose the client you want to use.
What did you mean with this?

Playtester

QuoteYes, I know this, but I thought that as it's such an old episode (and the last one of pre-renewal) maybe someone who has or had an Aegis server would have kept that modified package if they did do this.
Nobody ever made a "modified package" because it's not the source code that leaked, only the executables.

Either you completely rewrite the server source code (which is what the emulators did) or you completely rewrite the client (like RObrowser except to work with an old Aegis interface). But even if you do the latter you can still not use newer client features because there's no interface for those.

There is no other way.

Trust me, if you want the closest-to-official experience but with renewal client on pre-renewal server the best choice is rAthena on pre-renewal compile. If you decide for Aegis you automatically decide for old client too.

SkyLiner

Quote from: Suspension on Jan 11, 2016, 05:06 PM
Maybe you should re-do the poll calrifying that:
1- Aegis is completelly illegal to use (*athena based servers, while they need illegally modified clients to connect, are legal)
2- Aegis cannot be customized as heavily as open source projects
3- Aegis has worse latency than *athena servers
4- Aegis hardware requirements are worse than *athena.
5- You cannot choose the client you one to use.

1- So far i always understood is that its even "legal" to use Aegis, since there's no single license file on it, its not legal to use a client since there you have to accept a "license".
2- Correct! No arguing about this.
3- How in hell ya can have terrible latency on it? its my main reason i went to start running Aegis again instead of using Emulators. imo it runs smoother and more responsive on Aegis, if i play on any emulator. my char keep shooting on the enemy and i cant stop it until i clicked several times or it died, while on Aegis it does directly what i want.?
4- Very Correct. We are using 3 Servers wich 2 of them are only running the zones. Were the zone is taking away 2~3 Gb Ram each server while an emulator can run it all on one system.
5- This is depending on the release date and client version nr ( plus language i believe Korea/Taiwan/Malaysia/Etc )

Suspension

Quote from: Chandrian on Jan 11, 2016, 06:55 PM
Server had been up since 2005 till 2010 with Aegis, but we had changed to renewal in the last year, so we had the renewal interface and all that.
The fact that you didn't get sued doesn't mean it's legal
We do not want any customization. Server is as similar to official old pre-renewal server as possible.
Sooner or later your players might want something other (private) servers have.
Didn't know this.
Now you do.
What did you mean with this?
Read your own first post.

Quote from: SkyLiner on Jan 12, 2016, 06:03 AM
1- So far i always understood is that its even "legal" to use Aegis, since there's no single license file on it, its not legal to use a client since there you have to accept a "license".
2- Correct! No arguing about this.
3- How in hell ya can have terrible latency on it? its my main reason i went to start running Aegis again instead of using Emulators. imo it runs smoother and more responsive on Aegis, if i play on any emulator. my char keep shooting on the enemy and i cant stop it until i clicked several times or it died, while on Aegis it does directly what i want.?
4- Very Correct. We are using 3 Servers wich 2 of them are only running the zones. Were the zone is taking away 2~3 Gb Ram each server while an emulator can run it all on one system.
5- This is depending on the release date and client version nr ( plus language i believe Korea/Taiwan/Malaysia/Etc )
1. No, the server owner would be running a piece of software which requires a license to run it. In case of Aegis, it's expensive.
3. You may be some of the few exceptions, or you just tried to connect to severe bad servers.
5. No, read first post and you'll understand.

Quote from: Playtester on Jan 12, 2016, 02:42 AM
Trust me, if you want the closest-to-official experience but with renewal client on pre-renewal server the best choice is rAthena on pre-renewal compile. If you decide for Aegis you automatically decide for old client too.

Or Hercules.
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

iostream

/omg /omg aegis sv. that still alive, I knew is
RF(Ragnarok Frontier) and Dro (Digitech RO)

can you guys point out is there any Aegis server out there?

I'm currently running aegis(EP2.0) too.

:)

p.s. I heavily use aegis since 2003 until now :P and never change my mind.

hope we can talk more I can help you with the packet + exe issue.

I've do packet modify before (to use kro ragexe with pk enable)

Playtester

Quote from: SkyLiner on Jan 12, 2016, 06:03 AM1- So far i always understood is that its even "legal" to use Aegis, since there's no single license file on it, its not legal to use a client since there you have to accept a "license".
Only as legal as taking money from a thief, very well knowing that the money was stolen.

Quote3- How in hell ya can have terrible latency on it? its my main reason i went to start running Aegis again instead of using Emulators. imo it runs smoother and more responsive on Aegis, if i play on any emulator. my char keep shooting on the enemy and i cant stop it until i clicked several times or it died, while on Aegis it does directly what i want.?
Latency is probably the wrong word, but because of the high hardware requirements, it's hard to host a responsive Aegis server. Also Aegis doesn't handle packets very efficient. When I play on iRO and I click somewhere it takes almost a full second before my character starts moving. When I play on an emulator-based server that is also hosted in the US, then it's only like 200ms. The difference is very noticable.

QuoteOr Hercules.
I think that if you want pre-renewal and zero customization then rAthena is a much better choice. Hercules is the better choice if you want renewal, want to be able to easily customize the server or prefer old emulator behavior over official behavior.

At least that was the status a year ago, didn't really keep track.

Chandrian

Quote from: iostream on Jan 13, 2016, 11:48 PM
/omg /omg aegis sv. that still alive, I knew is
RF(Ragnarok Frontier) and Dro (Digitech RO)

can you guys point out is there any Aegis server out there?

I'm currently running aegis(EP2.0) too.

:)

p.s. I heavily use aegis since 2003 until now :P and never change my mind.

hope we can talk more I can help you with the packet + exe issue.

I've do packet modify before (to use kro ragexe with pk enable)
Thanks, sending you a PM :)

Suspension

Quote from: Playtester on Jan 14, 2016, 03:27 AM
I think that if you want pre-renewal and zero customization then rAthena is a much better choice. Hercules is the better choice if you want renewal, want to be able to easily customize the server or prefer old emulator behavior over official behavior.

At least that was the status a year ago, didn't really keep track.

Nope, Hercules has some features that mimic pre-renewal, official behavior closer than rA. As far as I know, Hercules merged a bunch of features from rA too, so what's in rA is in Hercules too, except some changes that I think devs didn't take due to lack of official documentation. However, I don't like some of those already merged features because are based on very bad "guesses". It's sad some of them can't be turned off.