Editing monster sprite to die instantly, instead of fading away?

Started by iro_ori, Feb 02, 2015, 05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iro_ori

I want to edit my monster sprite to die instantly, instead of fading away.

I saw this post that has a .grf with "--barricades and guardians stones will die instantly, instead of fading away." http://forum.ratemyserver.net/modification-sprite-and-tool-discussion/minimal-grf-for-woe-se/msg139714/#msg139714

I wanted to download it and check how it was done but the links are dead.

Any help is appreciated.

Triper

I may be wrong since I never made something like this but you probably need to edit each sprite individually and change/cut the death parts [if you need to cut, it's just to delete, if you need to change then you've to change it to empty ones].

Rider

Yeah, it's like Triper explained. Use any spriting tool to extract the mob sprite into bmp frames. Edit the fading on death frames to remove the mob's image and put it all back together as a new sprite. Replace the old sprite with the new one and repeat the same for every mob you wanna edit.

iro_ori

What program would be best for this? I downloaded Sprite Encoder but it seems like its bmp->spr and I would need the other way. Also i was thinking maybe  I could do it in actor similar if I just "delete image" the sprites of it dying?

Tokeiburu

This is not how you should be editing sprites (not for this scenario anyway). What you want to edit is the death animation, which requires you to edit the ACT file.

You can use either ActOR or Act Editor (I'll use this one since it's much easier to work with : http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3amu1o5zsmgd2o).

Open the act file, go in Scripts > Script Runner... and copy and paste the following, then use Run.

Quoteact.AnimationExecute(4, action => {
    action.Frames = new List<Frame> { new Frame() };
});

This will remove the death frames, save and that's it ;O.

nonadjacent

If you wanted to reduce the death frames would you just delete the sprites?
Or would you need to change the script as well?

Tokeiburu

Quote from: nonadjacent on Feb 02, 2015, 10:11 PM
If you wanted to reduce the death frames would you just delete the sprites?
Or would you need to change the script as well?

Your question is somewhat confusing... Deleting sprite images will not affect the death animation time. At best, it will make some frames of the death animation invisible (which is a possible solution to the OP's question I guess). To reduce the length of the animation, you have to either change the number of frames or the animation speed.

As for the second question, I don't know what script you're referring to!

nonadjacent

Thanks for your reply Tokei,

I downloaded your tool and was trying some things out, by script I meant the script runner. I thought the ACT had to "read" how many frames there were but your response cleared it up for me. (still a nab @ editing but learning!)

I can delete as many sprites as I want and they will simply not show up in the animation and by reducing the number of sprites in the death sequence the animation length will be reduced.

iro_ori

Quote from: Tokeiburu on Feb 02, 2015, 09:51 PM
This is not how you should be editing sprites (not for this scenario anyway). What you want to edit is the death animation, which requires you to edit the ACT file.

You can use either ActOR or Act Editor (I'll use this one since it's much easier to work with : http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3amu1o5zsmgd2o).

Open the act file, go in Scripts > Script Runner... and copy and paste the following, then use Run.

This will remove the death frames, save and that's it ;O.

thank u very much. it worked.