Wizardry of the Highest!

Started by Sanin, Aug 28, 2010, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanin

Hello again, RMS! I've come to you again for further inquiries about a certain class. I'm not looking for any equipment/build information so I wasn't quite sure where to put this...

I figured Job Discussion but if it's wrong would a kind Moderator put it in its appropriate place? Thanks~

Okay so! I've been playing RO for quite sometime and I've seldom tried the Spellcaster classes save for the Professor, but he was a battle build so I wasn't sure if it counted, and my attention has recently been about the skill flexibility of the High Wizard class.

To be honest? I've only ever seen them use about...two offensive skills; Storm Gust and Jupitel Thunder. I know, I know, it sounds kind of generic and makes me look like an idiot but I don't think I'm that far off. But what I'd really like to get at is...

How would you guys try to expand your skill usage as a High Wizard? I'm honestly wanting to try this class but I don't want to be stuck using such a small amount of skills if I've got quite a large branch of them available to me. I understand that some situations will call for Storm Gust, I'm not planning to abandon it entirely but I'd like to have other skills I could somewhat depend on.

If you'd like a basis to this, just assume it's a 99/70 server!
I must accept that Super-Gluing valuable coins to the sidewalk and then watching events from a nearby café is not proper demonic activity.

Sarin

Qagmire, Meteor Storm, Fire Pillar, Ganbeiten, Heaven's Drive lvl 1, Amplify magic. Out of whole wizard/high wiz skill tree, those are the only worth using.

Sanin

Quote from: Sarin on Aug 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
Qagmire, Meteor Storm, Fire Pillar, Ganbeiten, Heaven's Drive lvl 1, Amplify magic. Out of whole wizard/high wiz skill tree, those are the only worth using.

Ahh, I see.

How about Stave Crasher? Would it be worth the effort to use status inducing cards on a Rod in order to inflict ailments on a target before using a spell? It seems like a silly idea to be honest.

Oh, and how would Fire Pillar be properly used?
I must accept that Super-Gluing valuable coins to the sidewalk and then watching events from a nearby café is not proper demonic activity.

Sarin

Stave crasher really sucks, since your very low aspd prevents it from being used properly, and dunno if stat cards would work.

Fire Pillar is essentially a wizard's ankle snare, since it induces hitlock on first guy that steps into it.

Relics

imo you forgot these sarin
stone curse
fire bolt
icewall

and then rest is like:
swall
jt
sg
amp
storm
quag
pillar
ganban
heavens drive

as a hw my role is always to control space, if its big battles i focus more on storm gusting and disabling instead of individually trying to kill people with JT, I would rather leave things frozen so champs 1shot and pick them off.
also i love to be mobile, always keep moving.. if you got a good team you can try and bait enemies with your wiz by just walking nearby and then moving back so you can kite them with sg.

and yeah, fire pillar is used for locks, can also be used to do some jt icewall pillar setups but they take quite some time, might just be fun for lulzing around.

LoV is terribad skill xept for I guess woe where it can fill a niche in a wizline but storm gust + meteor storm in wizline is arguably way better.

fluidin

u guys forgot napalm wtf

but generally in woe ure either a ganban slave, or mobile SG one, or a MS slave. thats it

in group/ME battles ure not supposed to be using other skills cept for amp. leave HD/sc/swall to other classes, not a good idea to lower ur dps pressuring even for a second.
of cos thats if ur other guild members are already doing their job properly

pvp wise tho, wiz is great fun barring the occasional gtb. lots of skills to use, so including relics' list theres NV. have fun :x
Quote from: Jeon on Jun 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Sarin

Quote from: fluidin on Aug 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
u guys forgot napalm wtf

Well....napalm vulcan is just AoE curse spam, there are better things to do.

Anyway...yea, in any group fight you'll get pinned to one action endlessly repeating.

Sanin

Ah, thanks for the insight, everyone!

So when it comes to team play I'll have to rely on one skill for mob control? And I like that idea of moving around Relics, I've always seen our guild's High Wizard just sit inside Bragi and spam Storm Gust.

Which is really why this topic came to be in the first place, I didn't want to sit inside a small area and just use one skill and complain about my SP later.

Speaking of Bragi that brings up another question for this; How exactly is casting time calculated? I've read the iRO Wiki page but it made my brain not work gooder. I'd really like to find a method of reducing the casting time without overdoing it!

fluidin

NV is actually really good for pvp.

abt poem, i suggest u leave it to the ppl who know how to build clowns.

and for casting time reduc, the more the better, but not at the expense of valuable gear like the BG wand. thats abt it
Quote from: Jeon on Jun 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Ganondorf

Magic Crasher is great if you're fighting in a group against GTB Card wearers, though it isn't made for its damage, if you've got a weapon with status ailments you can spam it while your friends beat them to a pulp.  It's especially fun if you have a Cursed Dagger or Sword/Mail Breakers.  If you don't have those, a relatively cheap to make combo is using a Snake Card, Magnolia Card, Metaller Card and Savage Babe Card.  Stand in Bragi and spam it and you've officially become an annoying little bastard.

Keep in mind however that only ailments and % damage cards will pass through Magic Crasher, cards with auto-casting skills such as Metaling Card, Wikebine Tres Card and Wind Ghost Card will not activate.

In terms of other helpful skills, they've pretty much been said already.

- Napalm Vulcan for Curse spam.
- Magic Crasher I explained above.
- Jupitel Thunder.
- Amplify Magic Power.
- Ganbantein for Land Protector control.
- Stone Curse.
- Frost Diver.
- Sight Blaster for PvP knock-back.
- Storm Gust.  Level 1 and 10 are useful for different situations.
- Level 1 Heaven's Drive.
- Meteor Storm.
- Quagmine for pissing people off.
- Water Ball is situational.
- Fire Pillar for locking/pissing people off.
- Fire Bolt, most High Wizards choose this Bolt from Mage because it's the easiest to train with at Clocks and whatnot and it's great for using after Stone Curse when you don't have the time to cast Meteor Storm or something more destructive.
- Casting Ice Wall on yourself can screw up some ranged melee characters because they'll have targeting issues.

Pretty much it.