Looking for a good class to BG: wizard? Leveling/Equips/ stats? (I'm a beginner)

Started by Leamee, Apr 21, 2011, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leamee

Hey guys,

I'd like to make a wizard to BG with mainly. I don't want a scholar because I've never played that class. However I do like wizards quite a lot even if I haven't made one yet on my new server.
Basically from what I saw yesterday wizards spam SG, heaven's drive to unhide people, JT if they manage to freeze someone (which happens, as ridiculous as it might sound on a BG serv). They also use SW a lot, and usually party up to level in abbey/etc.

Right now I do have some decent gears for a wizard like crown of deceit w/ isilla or +7 SOP. I also have +2 int silk robe somewhere, and an earring or two. Orle uni might be better, I don't know. I also have a lot of money in the bank so I can basically buy whatever I want but it has to be on sale and there aren't many merchants online since the server's update, and some gears are not buyable (variant shoes etc).
Anyway, here's what I'd be aiming for, more or less (I managed to look at someone's equipment)
holy marcher hat
well chewed pencil
warlock's battle wand
anti sniping commander manteau
aria sunglasses
warlock's battle robe
book of charms w/ flame skull
combat boots of wanderer
nimble glove
nimble glove of orlean

Okay so the girl is new on the server which is kind of obvious since she should have 2 gloves of orlean OR medallions.
She's also missing a couple of cards (ED would be nice, marc would be okay too I guess).
I don't know if holy marcher hat is the best hat ever. We also have dress hat and another one that give +5% matk but anyway, if I had her gear I'd be really happy.

What do you think?
Also, how can I play wizard as a beginner in BG? Spam SG? Thanks.

Gene

Try testing firewall on Food storage if you're on tierra. It works on some servers, remember to aim well. fire wall damages around 14 per cast IIRC. That would make you a breaker wizard.

Aiming well is really important here. You might think it won't work on your server because you placed firewall the wrong way.

You could also use LoV to stun lock players out and let the guardians hit them, abuse quagmire too. Whitesmiths will hate you more.

Leamee

Thanks for the advice but I only do deathmatch (you need 30 frags = kills to win, the main goal is to not die and then if you can kill someone it's better).
I'll keep that in mind if I do tierra bgs though  :)
Any thoughts when it comes to equips/ leveling?

Gene

I used a dual bragi and grinded myself on Bradium Golems. I only use 5 skills there, SG, quag, JT, Safety Wall and Amplify.

Staff of piercing should be enough for leveling. Or maybe a lich bone wand.

You should get a Bradium Shield while leveling, you could also use it on your HW.

If you're going to perma ED valk shield aint a bad choice cause people may be using fire converters on you.

Leamee

I have +7 SOP and a couple of lich bone wands. I also have soul staff but then I can't wear a shield.
I have several valky shields with all kinds of cards in them but flame skull. I'm not a big fan of book of charms - I'd rather use valky shield with thara or flame skull. I'd say that flame skull might be better since I'd get OKHOed by many classes anyway and would benefit from inflicting all kinds of status ailments to people. What do you think?
I'm going to perma ED because I hate Marc with a passion and have never used this card in my life. Players will use stone curse on me, especially since all the wizards on our serv use flame skull + book of charms. I don't have a bragi so bradium golems might be problematic but thanks, I'll try it out.  :)
Basically I know the new world maps like the back of my hand since I kill everything there with my sniper so that will probably help me master HW PvM, even if my ultimate goal would be BG BG BG and then WoE.

Gene

Where do you get OHKOed on?
Champions? Assassin Crosses?

Not wearing thara is kind of a problem in my opinion since you'll also be squishy on Snipers and Creators

Leamee

I haven't made my wizard yet but on my LK I sometimes get OKHoed by Sin X EDP and of course asura strike if I can't hide before the end of the cast time (not always the case for SB EDP but I don't have much vit, weird build, I mainly use her for spam spiral pierce PVM and try to hide a lot to not penalize my BG team - resets cost money :x).
I don't use a shield on my LK but I do have more HP so I guess that shield+ thara + less hp = resist of LK with no shield but more HP. I don't know.
Snipers just don't BG. Ever. Don't ask me why but I don't think snipers will be a problem in deathmatch which is a good thing I guess.
Creators tickle my LK since I have about 30 vit, I usually shred them to pieces unless they have crazy gear. They need to AD me 4 times to knock me down. Paradoxically I think wizards need a lot of vit for PVP so I might get OKHOed by AD on my wizard but not on my LK.
So basically most of our wizards are clueless when it comes to def stuff? Oh, and do you think that the gears I suggested are okay? I can totally BG for a week to get all of this, I don't mind doing it but I need to make my char first.

Gene

It's fine but you might be getting continuous stuns from gypsies(Scream).

Stalactic Golem on an extra sunnies and on your marcher can be a good idea.

If you could afford a D.Bash and +5 it it's a good idea too.

Only if your server abuses stun.

Leamee

My server likes to stun too. I just looked at the requirements for parade hat and I'm not getting one because it'd take approximately 6 hours to make and I have enough money for dark bashri anyway.
It costs around 30M max so no problem there but right now it's not on sale so I'll have to wait or find a guild and drop it with them.
What would you recommend as an alternative to both hats till I get the DB?
Oh, and is noxious better than raydric? Dunno, always used raydric on my chars.

Gene

Nox is good for possible elemental ranges like DS, Soul breaker and Magics.

Raydric is a bit better for AD, shield chain/boomering last time I tested it.

I'm not really sure about an alternative, Since you have that pencil thing balance hat may be a good idea then reduce your dex a bit and add it on vit.

I used Ulle's cap before to get no cast on my HW. If your server has box of glooms and +8 foods you might be able to do a no cast HW too.

Leamee

Thanks, that's a nice suggestion. I could always use +4 FB too, even if it's a bit lame on a wizard. If we BG we can get +7 foods (6 per BG or 12 if you win). We also have other available rewards for BG apart from weapons and gears (+33 crit, +15 attack and other stuff).
Most of the wizards on our serv aren't no cast, even with bragi (the ones I played with anyway).
I guess it's a choice, they tank hits well (killing some HWs on my LK proved to be impossible, either they were potting or they have crazy def equips -> I had effects off at the time).
Raydric might be better then because we don't have many soul breaker SinXes and usually wizards don't battle each other. Haven't had to tank a single DS yet but I know that it can hurt like hell.
I could also get robo eyes and ramen hat, I know that some wizards use that but then they're squishy.
I need to make my novice so that I can bg tonight.  :)

Triper

Flame Skull is also nice because people abuse it for anti-stun with a +5 dark bash with stalactic golem and wiz bg set :)

Aim for 150 dex and try to get a friendly clown as a partner, good bragi clowns have always more int then dex since is expected good players to have 150 or near that dex so cast should be a problem. Matk isn't really such a big problem except if there is people running with anti-water and only hw as a problem.
NOX > RAY for me just because it cuts also 10% from magic dmg like sg, bolts etc even if I prefer to swap marse, jakk, etc and use nox as a universal garment, Ray+2 alligator = nox+alligator, last time I tested, so the difference is like almost nothing vs AD if your main concern is that but vs asura is another story, wiz die anyway to that if you don't have a gr and other stuff so is safety wall, stone curse in time, break cast with a fast napalm vulcan or other stuff fast or nothing.

And you shouldn't just spam sg, try sometimes to do what people said and napalm vulcan ed users, gravity field on gtb people and abuse of meteor storm with bragi and later magic crasher with a mailbreaker/swordbreaker slotted with marinas or magnolias to break and f*** people's gears.
Don't default also, always, a ED, Pest, Rybio and other status cards are cool too, even if sometimes you die, status can happen and people get them when they kill you.

The HWs that don't die are probably the ones without a lot of INT[more like balance between VIT and INT to not suck on hp and matk] and not just crazy DEF, is just good swap vs dmg by knowing most of the time of is excepted to happen. ED/Bathory kills poison element from bad sinxs, hode and dustiness swap vs good sinxs, gr vs ad or just stacking hard reduces, etc.
FB isn't really that bad in the end when you can stack lots of reduces since is possible to tank an asura by having ck+gr+fb+thara+devi on a wiz with 4k hp. Good stuff is hard to get but makes magic in the end :)

Leamee

I like your advice a lot :) I think I'll go for full BG set and try to get the cards you suggested as I know that some friends use earth katars. An earth armor (I need to use it with great caution though) could solve my EDP sin x problem as I know that all the "good" ones use earth katars. Right now I'm full int no dex on my wiz but that's just because I needed that to kill droseras and other plants. When I turn level 80 (today with the sharp leaves quest) I'll BG and obviously I'll need more dex/vit. Flame skull in valky is probably the best option. I still have a few valk shields that I'm not using yet. As a wizard, what strategy would you suggest? I don't have BG stuff yet or the HP of a HW. Should I spam SG and hide? I'd rather not die too much to avoid penalizing my team. I'll try to get a pest or rybio card if I can :)

fluidin

an earth armor will not solve ur edp sb problems. check the prop table. also, wizs die to any and all decent sinxs and champs. forget abt countering the decent ones. try getting devo instead
Quote from: Jeon on Jun 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Leamee

I know that EDP SB is poison but I thought that you could stack an element on top of it. So basically argiope would help more? Talking about my LK here, not my wizard since she won't be able to tank.

fluidin

no edp sb is not poison. u talked abt sinxs using earth conv right. look at the prop table. earth does 100% dmg to earth
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.

Triper

Good sinxs use earth or wind verters, even sometimes holy from their priest friends. SB by default is neutral except if they use elemental katars or verters.
If you want to tank them is dustiness/hode and pasana/dokebi/ed/bathory/argiope or an angeling all in a swap in time as soon as you see them.

Sandman vs earth = 100% from earth atks, is stupid but is how it works =P Aside from using it to tank jt and hide/cloak on a sin/rogue class char, it's an super useless card[yes, dokebi sucks a bit on there since 1 HD can mean KO for the sin/rogue class char].

Argiope can be cool for a team of hw+hp vs bad sinx while other stuff happen since they use poison element and argiope is a ed that makes heal be able to be used on you, it kinda works like the missing link from the bathory since each one complete them.
Here is a random quote from a guide that probably should help you:
QuoteArgiope Card: Poison Element, with this you get missing damage from people with Enchant Poison on like bad Sinx doing SB or SBK Undead and Shadow will do only half damage. Heal and all the other stuff works fine as a you had a non-elemental card on.

Bathory Card: Dark Element, with this you get miss damage from Undead element attacks and zero from Shadow. You will only get half damage from Poison attacks and 25% from Ghost so in the end it kinda works like a Evil Druid but without the Anti-Stone Curse and Anti-Frozen Effect but you can be healed!!

Evil Druid Card: Undead Element, with this you get 0 damage from Undead attacks and miss from Poison and Shadow. You will be Anti-Frozen and Anti-Provoked and Anti-Aspersio but "divine" skills like Resurrection and Magnus Exorcismus and Yggdrasil Leafs can kill you, the Resurrection things can one shot[or give big dmg in the case of ME] you when they work.
Or the tl; dr version:

Leamee

Thanks a lot for this info. So basically argiope would be better than sandman since sandman apparently sucks, though I don't think that wearing argiope is that good of an idea like you said. I don't know, since usually sin x es don't go near me because my strategy is to stay back near champs to hide asu or occupy them while they try to ruwach me to help my team kill the other players (a wasted asura on me is one less kill for the other team which is always good).
I'll probably end up getting another assaulter plate and putting a peco peco card in it, as I don't care much for freeze or stone curse resist. As long as I hide as soon as I see SG or something like that, I should be fine. I can always put ED, too.

fluidin

ed marc is enough.

switch between garments instead if u have to :/ dustiness and hode comes to mind

Leamee

I dropped dustiness yesterday so I can try to use it but it's a gamble as I have to predict the katar's element (it could be anything but water really). So you don't think peco peco would be any good? Right now my vit is quite low so I can't tank the better asuras but I'm about to get better gear like Gpipe. Don't think that will be enough though since 2% of 26k is 500 maybe.

Triper

That's why I said "It can be" not that you would use it since more stuff to swap = more problems to act fast.

10% of something like 6000 is 600, that won't make you survive something like an asura, even if someone melee you with a luna kaligo after an asura, there are better options to use. For me a Peco Peco is just a pvm card. For asura is safety wall+quag and start to toy the champ/monk from there.
For sinxs you can always try the thing I suggest - Break their weapons with swordbreaker using quag+hd+magic crasher+safety wall yourself, if they're not using a bg weapon or something that doesn't break it's a pwned until the end of that round of bg or at least 1 less thing to worry or go pasana+dustiness and see what how it goes because if you can hide you can also safety wall yourself.

2% of something can be not much but with a lot of other gears in it can be the difference from alive to dead ofc if there are things like the pencil for +2 dex in where you play maybe I would try to get one instead of that. Faster cast is always a win on a HW.

Leamee

The pencil thing is +5 hit or something but yeah there's the combo. We also have robo eyes but it's a biatch to make (200 metal fragments, I managed to drop 7 yesterday so I'll buy them 100K/u if I have to, I have the money but not 7 hours to waste on a stupid middle headgear).
QuoteFor me a Peco Peco is just a pvm card. For asura is safety wall+quag and start to toy the champ/monk from there.
Thanks, I'm starting to understand why. If I put peco peco on (be it on my LK or on my Wizz) I'll end up with basically no def against all the status ailments which means death 99% of the time.
I won't be able to get swordbreaker sadly enough, but I can try to use something like metaling or marina (FS is actually worse than breakage here because it lasts 2 min, whereas breakage may not last as we have @repairall on our serv, we can't use it ourselves but when we die in BG it triggers the @repairall command which means that you have to break people's weaps over and over again).

Quote2% of something can be not much but with a lot of other gears in it can be the difference from alive to dead ofc if there are things like the pencil for +2 dex in where you play maybe I would try to get one instead of that. Faster cast is always a win on a HW.
I can see how it can make a difference now, thanks. Before I didn't understand but 2% of 26K is 520 is quite a lot and the average asura on our serv is 20K so that's 400. I'm not saying it will save me like you said but it can help on an HW too for other things like non-linked SB or magic attacks.

fluidin

peco2 is for devo pallies in woe. thats it rly. and even then they have to switch

Leamee

Lol, that's why the devo pallies freeze all the time in BG. I know that guy doesn't have GR since there are like 5 on our serv, one on a Sin X that's a friend, one on a prof that's a major pain in the butt (not confirmed though but come on, he couldn't tank 5 people and asuras if he didn't have it).

Triper

Actually Profs have a sorte of easy mode to tank asuras since with a bg set+fb+energy coat+sp full+raydric+ck+thara = full tankage mode

Leamee

Yeah, health conversion right? And energy coat is a b**** too. I don't think the guy bothers with CK to be honest, but I think he even made Gpipe which is overkill if you ask me when you can tank people like that.