Would you play on a server that had scheduled resets?

Started by beten, Sep 03, 2015, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beten

A lot of people join new servers, race to 99 and gear out their character, then get bored and quit.  So in response to that, I was thinking of implementing a Season system where people's achievements for the season are tracked and rewarded in some way.  Then when the new season begins everyone starts over fresh.  Maybe with a few perks based on their achievements in the previous season.

Rates would have to be reasonable enough so the grind isn't too excruciating, of course.  And PVP and WoE would be a major focus of achievements, after the initial leveling race.

AnimaRagnarokOnline

Reminds me of D2 Gameplay. Sounds like a good plan. But people would most likely be bored out due to the fact that they can't keep their precious headgears. I mean you quest it, and it's gone when the season reset. Kinda like a downer imo. But it actually depends.

Playtester

I wouldn't play on a server if I didn't at least had the hope that it could never wipe (or die).

A server that frequently resets is only for PVP players, you will never get PVE players on it. And without PVE players your economy will suffer.

And if you want to make a server for PVP players, you'd probably be better off if you made one with instant max level and balanced PVP.

d170n

Quote from: Playtester on Sep 04, 2015, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't play on a server if I didn't at least had the hope that it could never wipe (or die).

A server that frequently resets is only for PVP players, you will never get PVE players on it. And without PVE players your economy will suffer.

And if you want to make a server for PVP players, you'd probably be better off if you made one with instant max level and balanced PVP.

This

AnimaRagnarokOnline

So, what would be a good "cure" for this end-game type of meta-game right now? If people get the sets they want, they become bored and become less active. Updating the server will with new items can fix it for awhile, however the overall feel is just not quite right.

How about a progressive instance where:

1. Players who enter will start out as level 1 (courtesy of doppelganger system/script)
2. Players must kill all monsters in each field to advance forward, after advancing for at least 2-3 fields, they are met with a Boss-type monster
3. After you kill the boss monster, a new town can be opened and new quests can be taken. Likely, you can jobchange here (yes you were a novice until you opened the map, wouldn't it be epic? killing a boss-type monster with a novice?)

I think PVE players would love this kind of idea, giving them a new challenge. And it could open up new frontiers for RO if done right.

Esdese22

Can't help it that people will eventually get bored, less active and maybe quit no matter how good the server is. This means that when we get used to the things we like, we find them uninteresting later on or at least not as interesting as they used to be.

Just my personal thought, i think the point is to attract new players to "replace" those who quit. New unique feature is a strong point to attract the new ones and keep people staying but there're many factors of what makes them stay.

Personally i don't really think that "reset feature" will keep them for long even you have good reasonable rates, achievement rewards, etc. With the fact that basically they will do almost the same thing over and over again will make them bored fast.  /hmm

Nano

Great idea, i'd be up to play on a server like that.

You'd need a lot of advertisement tho.

Duckshooter

I personally wouldnt play on such a server. Maybe it's because I love the low rate feeling and slowly developing my character and my storage with things I may need later on (you know that feeling of "wait, I got that stuff already").

Maybe this is fun for extreme server-hoppers and mid-high rate players who are just focusing on the mentioned "race to 99" challenges.

A problem I see with this system is: many people play one server, get geared and start searching for another, fresh server. They'll have something new (only some few things but servers are different) and with an always wiping server its exactly the same over and over again.
If you want to add rewards for the "first to 99" or whatever which are available to the winners after the wipe it could be something different.

My idea: Dont wipe the server, make events like 1-99 lvling events or something to keep people who enjoy it busy but also lure others with a "normal" non-wiping server

Greetings
KampfKeks

Judgement

Quote from: AnimaRagnarokOnline on Sep 04, 2015, 05:19 PM
So, what would be a good "cure" for this end-game type of meta-game right now? If people get the sets they want, they become bored and become less active. Updating the server will with new items can fix it for awhile, however the overall feel is just not quite right.

Having a focus on all content instead of focusing on just one thing.  I see a lot of servers where they end up focusing too much on something while disregarding the other.  Plus you can't keep people satisfied forever.  Always gonna be people quitting.
Super Smash Brothers 64!

sparkkk

No way, I created my toons at rebirth RO in 2009-8, past week I installed the client and wow, my stuff were still there.  /sob
no resets, i cannot afford that.

Angra_Mainyu

PvE wise, it's not really good.

There is nothing much left to enjoy, once you reach the equipment goals and levels and people will eventually quit after that. Either he/she move to another server or move to another game..

Ambur

I used to ask my friends about this on & off. The leveling race is a huge hype but farming for the same gears over and over is a major killer. Most people don't care about the levels (depending on how low the rate) and mostly about the items since they can potentially take hours/days to get. It's usually the same reason they don't wanna remake characters after they die on hardcore d3/poe. XD
Currently playing on this wonderful server. [color=red]♥[/color]

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

Blinzer

A server with scheduled resets provides a different type of challenge to the players. It allows proficient PvM players to have a significant advantage over the others when WoE happens(because their efficiency will provide them with better gear/levels), making PvE more relevant in a vanilla style server. I do, however, believe that if you take nothing from it, it will feel like wasted time to the player(even though it may possibly be less wasted than investing 1 year into a server that just shuts down randomly out of the blue, like most servers do and have done). You should implement some sort of reward system that gives players, if nothing else, at least aesthetic benefits for dominating over others. Perhaps benefits on a secondary server? Up to you.

Rider

I think the OP got the wrong impression about fresh starts. Most people don't want to start all over with the grind and item farming phase. There are several reasons people join a new one, mostly it's expectations of having a different experience from what they already had in other servers they played. The list goes on with having their fav IGN, first to make the most zeny, first group/guild to achieve something before the rest, meeting new people to play with, exposure to some fresh content, different features, etc etc. Simply closing and starting over with the same content and features already familiar with will only wear one down.

Besides, it's not like we're the first to think about players getting bored once a max level and gear has been achieved. Why do you think they came up with 2nd and 3rd job classes? They already do what you wanted, make players start over with the grind to achieve something better. Most other MMO face the same issue and adopt other methods like extending max levels and releasing new zones, mobs, equipment, etc, so that the players have new heights to reach.

If you really want to provide players something to keep going then consider a Renewal server or do it like the official games do - keep adding unique and fresh content. The selling factor for online games is the fact that there is no end to the game. The actual problem is when players hit a point where they feel is the end and there is nothing more to progress in the game, which makes them want to quit since they think that they finished the core game and achieved everything they could possibly want.