Healer or Not?

Started by eKoh, Oct 24, 2014, 02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eKoh

I was wondering how a Healer and also, a Warper could change a server on a LR server.

why don't you like them or why you do?
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

Xarale

I don't mind Healer npcs really, even on low rates.  They do make it a bit easier for champs to farm MvPs though.. (Asura mvp, tele back to town, healer, warp back to mvp, repeat.. etc) so you may want to consider that before adding one.  I'm sure many LR players would be fine without one though.

As for a Warper npc, I don't mind these either on LR servers providing they only warp you to the dungeon entrance.  I was never a fan of Warper npcs that warp you to any dungeon level, or any field map, especially on a LR server. 

-X.

Playtester

I don't consider either necessary. For healing there are already Inns and for warping there are already Kafra services officially.

Wyvern

Alternatives to healing: Get a priest/healing class to heal you, and get a Prof to use Soul Change on you, or you could even marry another char with yourself for HP/SP. And yeah, there's official inns (5k each).

I like the old days of sitting down to recover, there's something relaxing about it. As a result, people will farm items/level slower that way, which keeps players in the server longer since their goal takes longer to accomplish. This will help them plan each trips. It also improves the use of support classes, and may increase parties, and prevents champs from easily farming certain MVPs (unless they use a prof to recover after each Asura, and warper to go back there again). Having no warpers and not being able to memo at least 2 maps away from MVPs would improve that situation too. There's also official warpers using Kafra.

On the other hand, not everyone has the time to play that much, so having healers (either free/with a delay or not) and warpers (either free or not, to dungeon entrance) would compensate for that.

Having warpers/healers means being able to farm stuff or level faster, possibly meaning less time a player spends playing the server, and other things. All of this depends on many situations.

Kagamine Rinto

I don't like healers because it just tells me the server is for lazy people, when there are inns everywhere and 5k is nothing.  As for warpers, it varies by what exactly the warper does.  If it's just to towns I think it's good because it allows people to quickly and easily meet up, which is nice.  If it let's you warp to dungeon entrances I don't like it, because aco's have warp portal for that.  If it let's you warp to any level of a dungeon it's even worse, because it allows people to abuse healers for sp.

Triper

Just my 2 cents.

Healer:
◙ no thx except if it's to when people enter PvP and even if it's that, add delays because of asura spammers.
   ◙ Delay to enter PvP after using it [you can always make a function where this heal isn't used and everybody can bypass the delay]
   ◙ Delay to get out after get in, like 10 seconds. You also need to block teleport/warp/bwings/etc because of it.
Alternatively, you can always give X map flagged potions when someone get inside a map [like PVP potions] that make puff when you get out to prevent anyone to stack them in the storage. You also need a checker so that nobody can have more than Y amounts with them to prevent abuse in case someone finds a workaround.
If you decide going this route ^ think also about classes, some need more of a type than others of another and some doesn't even make sense to have them. Eg.: Profs shouldn't have blues, they're supposed to be SP Machines; LKs need a lot more whites than the others for PVM to mob; etc.

Warper:
◙ towns and outside of dungeons [means that you've to do the quests to get inside] is fine but block any that has a MVP, it forces people to have warps making the acolyte class useful or at least to make people think about it which implies that some people may start playing it instead of just having alts and use pots
◙ next to the warp to WoE fields is also nice because it makes people choose between:
   ◙ having more loadings by using the warper which isn't ideally perfect
   ◙ someone dedicated to do it
   ◙ to alt a char for it

exii

A healer is a must have above 10x rates and above. No matter what.
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

Wyvern

Quote from: exii on Oct 24, 2014, 01:13 PM
A healer is a must have above 10x rates and above. No matter what.
That would be your opinion~

exii

A lot of ppl have a fixed opinion how a server has to be like. Ppl who playing 50x rates have better things to do as to login a 2nd acc or wait for sp.
Basicly the higher the rates the more ppl tend to be play very egoistic.

eKoh

Nice feedback, so the main problem about the warper are:

* Champion's asura abuse
* Less use of acolytes cause of warp portal
* Easy access to kill Mvps

And for the healer are:

* Champion's asura abuse in Mvps/Pvp
* Less effort for the player

hmm, anything to add?
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

exii

Im not sure what kind of effort you expect here. If I want to kill GTB with champ Ill set a warp in front of the culverts. Its almost the same as I would have access to lvl 1 in a dungeon through a warper. The effort is just unnecessary.
If I want to perma-hunt more then 3 MvPs I just create Acolytes on a 2nd acc and warp me there. A lot of MvPs can be reached very fast with this method.

You basicly should differ between lvl 1 warp and full access.

Also champs hunting things which else would be hard to get like AK cards. If you dont have access to geffenia you barely (or never) will see such a card on the market. The more you lock the possibilities to farm things the less trades can be done. AK cards and such things are standart stuff nowadays and when I join a server with a dead market I know that the lifetime of it is cutted by a huge amount.

But it seems you are focusing players with a completely different mention then me. Just a tip: You really should ask yourself what will happen if [..]. Try to extend it in a logical way. Ask yourself counter questions. What will happen if not [..]. Try to see it from the view of a player who must play with your settings. This is what Im basicly doing before I suggest something.

Playtester

Another problem with healer/warper:
- Cause inflation (at least assuming they are free or cheaper than official)

rain408

Your able to set the respawn recover %. Therefore a healer wouldn't even be needed. I suggest set it at 100% hp 10% sp.

Concerning Healers + Warper, It really promotes soloing farming and abuse rather than team play. For example, a sniper can just warp to a gold map like Mavka spam ds, butterfly and reheal for another run. Your economy will go to s*** real fast. Most servers mid rate to higher rate server that have warper and healers, after 2-3 month players rarely play anymore except for WoE and those who abuse those warper/healers for mvp farming.

Not having warpers/healers slows the pace of the game down and allows for players to enjoy playing ragnarok for a longer period.

Bue

Regardless of what the negatives are, you gotta have both and you gotta have a neat solution.

Why?
Improves player productivity.
Expands player scope.
You can quickly settle on a server and play the 'actual' content.
The 'actual' content being whatever the server is best known for.
(Implying most low-rate servers don't have actual content?)
This applies to all rates.

Never stretch the gaming content by wasting player's time;
Add more content.
Add more replayability.

The only real problem is that the healer and warper are the most bland NPCs ever.
Why not teleport players to Inn and add more features to the inn?
Why not teleport players to Airship/Train Station and manipulate warp portals?
Not the first time I've played an RPG anyways, plenty of features to borrow from.
If you immerse the healer and warper into the game, I'll play your server.

exii

Quote from: rain408 on Oct 26, 2014, 12:44 AM
Your able to set the respawn recover %. Therefore a healer wouldn't even be needed. I suggest set it at 100% hp 10% sp.

Concerning Healers + Warper, It really promotes soloing farming and abuse rather than team play. For example, a sniper can just warp to a gold map like Mavka spam ds, butterfly and reheal for another run. Your economy will go to s*** real fast. Most servers mid rate to higher rate server that have warper and healers, after 2-3 month players rarely play anymore except for WoE and those who abuse those warper/healers for mvp farming.

Not having warpers/healers slows the pace of the game down and allows for players to enjoy playing ragnarok for a longer period.
Flooding zeny by the ability to farm mavka more efficient is a completely invalid argument. Several years ago Ive played a 5x rate server and also didnt know how to make money. The result was that I had about 45k blue herbs in my storage which meaned an unlimited pool of SP. Just take a LK, get earth deleter and you only need 12 sp per kill. The server had dbl spawn on mavka and my personal record in 30min (1 endow enchant) was ~670 by porting and insta-killing with spiral pierce. I consumed like 150 blue pots which wasnt even 1/4 of my profit in blue herbs.

This sounds like a massive amount of money but the truth is that other ppl made up to 10 times more in the same time. A few years later I played the server again and made 1.5b zeny in about 10 days because there are so much better ways. Remember: 5/5/5 rates.

You also didnt consider the difference between full access and lvl 1 restriction.