How would an ideal server should be?

Started by eKoh, Jul 17, 2014, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eKoh

How would an ideal server should be?

What makes you as a player, stay and play in a ragnarok private server?
We are a Pre-Renewal Midrate. Looking for the most
competitive
scene in Pvp, Mvp, and Hunting!

Grand Opening this July 15th!
Visit Aria-RO.com

Jumpdiva

Firstly, I enjoy playing RO because it's light weight and doesn't cause even lower spec computers to lag and crash. So for one, I appreciate a stable server that's updated and kept well in order. That being said, I like private servers that don't require grinding, like low rate servers, have endless customization ( headgears, hair styles and colors ) and all classes to play with. Also, no forced PVP and a place I can bring a friend to wander around hassle free.

No pressure on needing donation items to enjoy yourself, and newbie friendly.

I guess I enjoy spoon-feeding servers the most.

Royal

commitment and professionalism from the staff

Chilly

I tend to like mid or low rates that are party oriented, i haven't seen any servers like this in a few years now since renewal allows people to solo everything on any 3rd class with no effort.  Would love to see a pre-re server that at least attempts to add and balance renewal content (maps/mobs/items), i noticed lots of pre-re servers have used my custom pre-re el dicastes mobs but i haven't seen any servers go beyond that with newer content yet.  I would also love to see card drop rates being higher then the normal drop rate on a server, including mini-boss and mvp cards as long as the few imbalanced ones are nerfed.  I'm also ok with mini-boss and mvp cards being completely removed from a server too, i see it as complete laziness when a mid or high rate server has 1x rates for boss cards, you either want your players to get these cards or you don't, so set them with the same rate as the rest of the cards or remove them from the game.

One of the things that annoys me most when starting on a new server is when their custom npcs are spread all over the place, just put everything in the middle of prontera or add a warper that takes you to a room with all the custom npcs, or at least put a helper npc in the main town to let us know where everything is!  I also hate when custom quests/features are not listed somewhere on the main site, or not mentioned in game anywhere, or they are listed but no location to find them is mentioned anywhere.  Customization is one of the main things i look for when i start a new server, i usually don't play overly customized servers unless they are done right, meaning it needs to have customizations that are simple to understand and make the game more fun.  Imbalanced donation items suck, nothing makes me quit a server faster than seeing the donation shop with any equips that are better than end game mvp drops, allowing people to vote for your imbalanced donation items doesn't help either, just limit it to convenience or starter items and it will be perfect.

And of course, the ideal server needs an ideal staff!  Admins/GMs with attitude problems and who don't know how to communicate with angry players need to be replaced as soon as possible, its basic customer service skills that everyone should have anyway.  Any signs of corruption will not only make me quit a server, but i'll spread the word as fast as i can too.  Corrupt servers are just trash that don't deserve to exist, they are the main reason i have not, and will not ever donate on any server i play, and i've played a lot of them sadly.  Events are nice when they are not overdone, a scripted event every few months that stays active on the server for a week or so is perfect, and active GMs that do random events every week or month also helps.  Guild packages are awesome when done right, retarded and abused when done wrong.  Guilds already work together to get all the items and materials they need for woe, stop giving out multiple valk/diablo sets and a s*** of zeny to every guild that joins your server, all they need is an emp and a few starter/convenience items.

I think i'll stop here, i feel like im starting to rant more then describing my idea server now lol.

eKoh

@Chilly

Keep going, keep going, it was very interesting every word you wrote xD
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Nekoruchii

My ideal server would be..

No pay-to-win features; (or donates obtainable via voting)
Friendly staff and community;
Active forums;
No OP retarded features.

That's just it.

eKoh

Quote from: Rine on Jul 20, 2014, 01:33 AM
No pay-to-win features; (or donates obtainable via voting)

I am not really sure about this, because this way will kill the donators, I mean, why donate if these donations are in the Voting stuff?

What I was thinking on, is to make that Donators need Voters and Voters needs Donators this way we are starting a system.

I mean that there are exclusive things obtainable from Voting (Idk, like infinite fly wing, headgears) and also exclusive things from Donating (Where you cannot get infinite flywing, and vote headgears, but you get other headgears or custom tickets), so that way you will need each other, Donators needs Voters, Voters needs Donators, that way we can start a economy.

Like the Apple juice seller needs the Apple producer and the apple producer needs apple juicer to drink some nice apple juice haha.

You, as a player, agree with this? or Do you think that this is kind of unfair? Or how would an ideal Donation should be?
competitive

Visit Aria-RO.com

Nekoruchii

Some of the servers I've played offered that kind of system. Where, you can get donation items by just voting but you won't be getting it for a 1 month straight from voting every 12 hours or 24 hours.

I should had stated no OP donates, because most of the servers released nowadays have those OP items (and mostly into money making schemes after getting $$$ donates, they will be less active and shut the server and open another server and do the same thing.) and you can really see the difference between donators and non-donors which is a no-no.

Well, I do not need to mention servers who offer voting to get donation points.

Jumpdiva

Quote from: eKoh on Jul 20, 2014, 03:26 AM
I am not really sure about this, because this way will kill the donators, I mean, why donate if these donations are in the Voting stuff?

What I was thinking on, is to make that Donators need Voters and Voters needs Donators this way we are starting a system.

I mean that there are exclusive things obtainable from Voting (Idk, like infinite fly wing, headgears) and also exclusive things from Donating (Where you cannot get infinite flywing, and vote headgears, but you get other headgears or custom tickets), so that way you will need each other, Donators needs Voters, Voters needs Donators, that way we can start a economy.

Like the Apple juice seller needs the Apple producer and the apple producer needs apple juicer to drink some nice apple juice haha.

You, as a player, agree with this? or Do you think that this is kind of unfair? Or how would an ideal Donation should be?

Maybe this person doesn't donate nor have that kind of money to spend? So they would like to be able to enjoy a game without hacing to be pressured to essentially pay for it. For people who don't donate to servers, this would be ideal for them. At least that's the way I see it. You don't have to agree with donation to be a player.

Of course I understand that servers need money to keep up with their servers, but there are servers that put a ridiculous amount of emphasis on it, and when that is the case, I don't inderstand why they don't just have people pay to play it through subscriptions.

Nekoruchii

Quote from: Jumpdiva on Jul 20, 2014, 08:17 AM
Maybe this person doesn't donate nor have that kind of money to spend? So they would like to be able to enjoy a game without hacing to be pressured to essentially pay for it. For people who don't donate to servers, this would be ideal for them. At least that's the way I see it. You don't have to agree with donation to be a player.

Of course I understand that servers need money to keep up with their servers, but there are servers that put a ridiculous amount of emphasis on it, and when that is the case, I don't inderstand why they don't just have people pay to play it through subscriptions.

I agree with you also, not everyone is willing to pay for their items (some works like a machine just to get money and spend it wisely), I've been working so I know how to value money too. And, is it also worth it to donate in a server where you know that they will shut down after some months when they met their donation goals? Like, "dude we got $5000 from donations, we should slack off and let the server die, we're effin' rich now then we lose money we remake a server and do the same."

Sad to say, that a lot of the private servers nowadays are just for money making schemes. This is why, some players are cautious with spending nowadays, since some servers lasts for one to three months and dies with tons of money in the pockets of the owner.

I donated in one server once, no regret and I also spent $600-$1000 on a online game before (naming Audition Dance Battle) and $200 on RO way back.

Yep, let me tell you a short story, once upon a time, my bf donated in a new server which is like the v2 of the server we used to play and he revoked the donation because he realized that the server was into money making schemes then we left after its first day, the end.

ggwp

Because donating is useless when you playing against (at most) mediocre people in the server Rine stated.
90% win rate in random mode BG with Sniper (yes , Sniper for crying out loud) and Palladin.
Where the 10% is caused by DCed and rejoin on losing side , too much afk-ers and team with all non trans / braindead player.

Jumpdiva

Quote from: Rine on Jul 20, 2014, 10:34 AM
I agree with you also, not everyone is willing to pay for their items (some works like a machine just to get money and spend it wisely), I've been working so I know how to value money too. And, is it also worth it to donate in a server where you know that they will shut down after some months when they met their donation goals? Like, "dude we got $5000 from donations, we should slack off and let the server die, we're effin' rich now then we lose money we remake a server and do the same."

Sad to say, that a lot of the private servers nowadays are just for money making schemes. This is why, some players are cautious with spending nowadays, since some servers lasts for one to three months and dies with tons of money in the pockets of the owner.

I donated in one server once, no regret and I also spent $600-$1000 on a online game before (naming Audition Dance Battle) and $200 on RO way back.

Yep, let me tell you a short story, once upon a time, my bf donated in a new server which is like the v2 of the server we used to play and he revoked the donation because he realized that the server was into money making schemes then we left after its first day, the end.

That's crazy, not only what private server owners are doing but what happened to your boyfriend. Not to mention doesn't giving your personal and card information run the risk of scam and identity theft? I'm not sure how donations on servers work, since the only thing I've ever spent money on were legit games like Tera when it came out of Beta and Second Life back in its prime. They were also games I spent a long time playing, and enjoying. No regret here either.. until Tera became free to play.

I don't think I can trust owners of private servers like I can legit game developers. Not saying buying anything over the internet is guaranteed safe, but I still am picky about where my money goes.

If people want to buy games and donations, there's nothing wrong with that. But if a game can't stand alone without pressuring their players to buy things from them ( about as bad as a lot of mobile apps ), then that raises red flags for me.

It's also frighening because legally, what can you do against these scammers? :(

exii

tl;dr

The ideal server never will existed. Everyone has a different oppionin about settings.
Some dont like BG, some dont like if BG dont have adnvanced settings, some dont like costum hats, some dont like, [...].

You just need to know what you want. If you want to milk victims like Rine to get tons of money I would suggest to focus pvm.
If you want competition on your server get advanced BG etc. But you need a good concept and promotion. A few weeks ago I saw a server with BG 2.0 script etc and 20 ppl online. Noone wanted to start there.
Another problem is if a really good guild is joining your server and bashes everyone you dont have a chance to cure the massive butthurt of the QQing quitters.

Ah and a security would be good I guess. I wouldnt recommend IG neither adelays. Trash software is trash. Found a way which partly working with nodelay on adelays, lol.
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

Nekoruchii

Well, he was able to get the money back, so its no problems at all, I don't see any harm in donating, maybe in older servers you're open to donate since they last long, but still.. ggwp would know the server since we played there and became guildies for a period of time.

Jumpdiva, you don't need to give out your personal details (unless you are using money transfer stuff to send donates), you can simply go to the website, click the donate, mention how much you wanna donate and click it and its just via paypal. Personally, you would know when a server wants to make money or not, at first they came in from high and super high rates now they are now getting to mid rate servers and sooner or later, low rates would be the next target. (I would notice that the servers in the mid rates are less-interesting to play at.) That's why, I mentioned in my "ideal" server no OP donates or pay-to-win options as sometimes they are the one into money making schemes. I know a server owner who also used the money from his donations to donate to the charity, which is actually good.

I also agree with exii but sometimes the things what we want are getting rare nowadays. I'm usually a mid rate seeker but that's when I am not a GM in a server, and I just stalked in the mid rates advertisement, it seems like few were good enough.

What about harmony? I don't really understood those "protect guards" anyways. XD

Playtester

My ideal server:
- At least 500 players
- Everything official pre-renewal up to new world (excluding)
- No custom "helpers" except @autotrade (and information stuff like @mi @ii)
- New world remade so monsters don't deal ridiculous damage, then expanded by the renewal chapters with monster stats adjusted to fit to pre-renewal mechanics