What kills a server!

Started by Novus Orbis, Jul 24, 2013, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyuri

Quote from: Nano on Oct 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
Filipino Admins... anything Filipino actually.

Don't generalize all of them. But I know some of them are lurking in the rms forums right now. *cough*

Anyways, for me those pay2win servers and I really find servers who copy grf files.... hopeless.

Wyvern

Players kill them. Or sometimes, bad admin jobs/etc. Though sometimes there's crappy servers with many players (FlawlessRO for example) and well maintained servers w/ professional staff w/ almost no players in them, due to various reasons. So mainly players...

Chilly

corruption, no fun or engaging end-game content, little or no pvp/gvg competition.  those are probably the biggest ones.

Discount Ninja

I've played on a lot of role play servers. It takes a very good dedicated GM team to keep a community well because there is a lot of drama associated with RP servers. I know every server can have some sort of drama. But Role Play servers can be a lot worse.  /sob
A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

Yuzo

I feel people who have a reputation or say in a server, say the more top and respected players, often can hold a server back.

In my old server, I had played it for about 4 years at the time, a veteran if I may say so. I had played a lot of other servers in that time, experiencing all sorts - low rates, end-game only servers, pre-renewal - I felt as though, despite this being a little arrogant, I could offer further wisdom than a lot of the players and staff, who most of which had only experienced this server.

My ideas were shot down, often I felt without having my thoughts considered, while other (more popular) players would suggest things and be given the '+1' with what I felt others didn't even read!

My point here is that a player who is popular/respected can hold a server back if their ideas aren't pushing in the right direction, simply because they have a greater player pull, meaning more people will agree with them!

all i do is rant on this site

exii

On fanboiRo, maybe.

The ppl which really decide about huge population decreases are mostly leaders of big guilds.
If a guild lead officially decides to drop the server and join a new one he will take his guild core with him. Usally only a few staying there or some playing both servers then. I experience that pinoy guild dont stick that much together as "western country guilds".
This often is a chain-reaction because if the competition is leaving you can have the castle for free or you also join another server. Most important factor here is how populated the server would be after the leave of this guild.
There is no real logic behind but it sometimes happens that the population of a 400+ server decreases below then 150 within 1 week for no relevant reason. I dont expect anything anytime anymore.
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

shadowz0098

Quote from: Nano on Oct 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
Filipino Admins... anything Filipino actually.

damn true  /heh /heh

OriginsRO

Corrupt staff members are the bane of any server. I have seen a few private servers go down due to greedy admins. Because of this i am always wary of donation-based servers. Donation free servers are so rare though.

leokimah

There is a plethora of things that will kill a server.

Lately for me it's been a combination of both the players and admins.

Stubborn admins that refuse to fix crucial bugs or do stupid crap like having a maintenance 2 hours before woe (if it's woe based) will kill their server extremely fast.

I've also seen a server die simply because a guild left (mostly woe servers).

bisuke

Quote from: shadowz0098 on Oct 29, 2014, 07:18 AM
damn true  /heh /heh

Well, don't generalize the the Filipinos, however, this is kinda true. Me and my friends always try to avoid certain Filipino servers. Most of the Filipino server close in a short period of time. However, there are also a Good server with Filipino Admin, and you will not know unless they tell it, because of their professionalism. I encountered one server like this before, the admin is so professional that they don't talk in Filipino, they talk in straight english with proper grammar. That server became a success! Most of the Filipino Serves are PVP server that gives all End-game items as freebies, because Pinoys are too lazy to hunt.

asiahostonline

What kills a server?

• Not listening to the community.
  • When GM don't take down notes if there's a complain. (Heck you're not a robot to remember them all)
Join to our Ragnarok Private Server RavageRO!

Affordable Web Hosting in Singapore use PROMO CODE "RMS4EVER"

Official Launch: December 15, 2014

Wolfeh

- Dumb-bleep- admins.
- Scandals.

;D

inzanity

-Unprofesional staff (can go in million ways from corruption to unreasonable punishment, to no transparency, to no updates, to unknowledgeable)
-bad host
-No proper money invested in advertisment

HobbesWasRight

All I'm seeing in this thread is a whole lot of vague terminology: "X is 'bad', Y is 'good', there's a distinct 'lack of' that, this authority is 'corrupt'".  Yet two things aren't being provided in this thread universally:

1. Elaborated and clarified criticisms involving aforementioned broad terminology

2. Solutions to the problem

Therefore, what point did this thread serve when it provided minimal insight into what makes a "bad" server, or how to make servers "good again"?

Hermos

Quote from: HobbesWasRight on Dec 24, 2014, 03:10 AM
All I'm seeing in this thread is a whole lot of vague terminology: "X is 'bad', Y is 'good', there's a distinct 'lack of' that, this authority is 'corrupt'".  Yet two things aren't being provided in this thread universally:

1. Elaborated and clarified criticisms involving aforementioned broad terminology

2. Solutions to the problem

Therefore, what point did this thread serve when it provided minimal insight into what makes a "bad" server, or how to make servers "good again"?

Most of the terminology, as you say, mentioned in this thread is more or less well defined in the Ragnarok Online community.