Tips on making a good private server

Started by Helrouis, May 13, 2008, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helrouis

Hello, I am Jason from WickedRO, the administrator. I'm not saying that I have the best private server, but actually, my server had led to a disaster recently for some update. And I'm catching up with my faults, and hopefully, sharing my experience would be a way for you guys to save yourselves somehow from this. also, (if you have time) please try out my server.=P

Okay @go topic

A good server for me, have the following flexible criterias(Imagine these goodies as stats of a melee character(str,agi,vit,int,dex,luk, where str is your primary stat):

Consistency Factor(Str)
Community Support Factor(Agi)
Leveling Factor(Vit)
PVP System(Stats+Customs Build) Factor(Int)
WoE Factor(Dex)
Hunting/Quests/Fun Factor(Luk)

Explanation :
1.Why Consistency Factor is the Str? It's because as I noticed, a consistent server that is even "bugged" have more players, rather than "the bugged,then you fixed it!" one. -BELIEVE ME. ^^, Players loves to look for the best skill/stat/equip build, and when GMs try to nerf it, they would really be angry because somehow, they were used to being strong~causing them to be pissed off, or even leave the server.
Advice : It's ok to put overpowered customs, as long as you know what you're doing! Otherwise, it would really be a disaster.

2.Why Community Support Factor is the Agi? It's because the server starts off with a few number of players -- then slowly adding up! And like Agi, in high amounts, you can dodge even the strongest monsters(many players+ supportive community really can kickass!), improving this means making events, player relations, code snippets on voting, and advertising stuffs.

3.Leveling Factor -- uhh... As Vit? Well, players for me, stay in the server (some are forced) because they are required to level depending on your rates. You can choose to neglect vit, but all i know is, a low rate server have many players doing quest+leveling altogether. Some may find this boring, but some may find it fun. But as professionals understand vit, it sacrifices a lot of stat points and only a few vit is advisable in a hybrid stat. ^^,

4.PVP System Factor as Int? Why? Players spend time on researching the best build that is possible on your game system(It can be the standard, OR customized). This kind of work together with Str, but all in all, this makes your PvP system interesting, as well as MvPs.

5.WoE Factor ~ As Dex? Without WoE, all your efforts may have missed a lot. (A server without WoE is extremely a big minus, believe me), if you may, implementing goodies on treasure box, or an intense defense-based WoE is fun for the players. The better the WoE, the more it kicks in. This goes altogether with Int.

6.Hunting/Quests/Fun Factor - The great Luk!? Oh yes, players love to quest , though some are lazy. This sometimes DOES a big effect, sometimes it's just a normal attack, but most of the time, it misses if you don't raise this to high amounts.

To play with this, you can use a stat calc and calculate your server stats. DON'T consider equipments/bonuses please, only the BASE stats!!
FAQ:
*To-do and samples

Brainstorm

Someone has a lot of free time on their hands...

You know, you would make a lot of sense if you scrapped all this "stats" thingy and just made your topic as "tips to a successfull server".

Helrouis

I am looking forward for people to make a better model(rather than stats) for making a good private server. People who knows exactly how stats/ damaged are calculated in RO may understand this. Anyway, updating it**

EDIT:
The stats' purpose is to describe a possible criteria of judgment, because all of these are NOT effective when all is implemented.

dark_sage

number 6 depends because not everyone likes doing quests and some servers are mainly PvP, but I guess it all depends on people and what server they are on

niknokseyer

I've sacrificed my VIT.

Hopefully my server will still do good. :)

Head Monocle of DOOM

I think the stats thing makes this guide more entertaining and therefore finishable. Half the guides I read are just walls of long boring text and I never finish them.
Proof or it didn't happen.
All server reviews are based on a reviewers experience.
This is how negative server reviews work.
Eddy, carrots are good for your eyes, can it dial a phone.

You

This is a good guide to help me develop my private server's build, but could you help me with the skill tree?

Omi

I would recommend getting level 5 Lurk, so you can browse your forums without being seen, along with level 10 quick keys so you can script faster than anybody else.

Although you could sacrifice Lurk for Ban, but you'll only find it useful if your AGI is high and it's starting to have a negative effect on your server.