[prerenewal] what class to choose

Started by Nuriel, Apr 15, 2013, 07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuriel

Hi!

I haven't played RO for like 4-5 years and now im about to play a bit for fun with friends. But just for fun. Im not looking for WoE at all. But i want something fun to play and kinda not sucking in dmg.

Ok moving to my picks - im thinking about bolter+abracadabra prof OR pala but not sure SC MR or hybrid OR SBr sinx OR gunslinger but completly no idea how to build it. I was also thinking about crea but dont want typical AD spammer but i cant even imagine any other build.

Back to my question. I want to Know sth about current pre-renewal balance. Maybe anyone of you would provide me some nice builds? Or simply tell me what can suit me best and i'll work on build. As additional info:
- Im prob going to play here:http://board.evolvero.net/index.php?/topic/32-server-information/ but itd not sure
- last patch i played was nameless island or mby 1 patch later not sure
- back then i was quite hardcore woe player as FS clown/FS HP/Devo pala
- now i want something fun to play with somethow nice dps but mby not highest
- able to compete in pvp with friends. Some will play normal builds (CT WS, mage ninja, Typical HW, etc) some more derp builds like combo champ, mage super novice, pve SL
- as i said im now considering bolter prof, SC or MR pala (i believe SC is more fun but not sure about current dmg), SBr sinx, some kind of GS. Mby AV clown. But im open to your opinions thats why im asking for help.
- as its going to be low rate dont think about cards like Tao and prob i would prefer not really expensive gear but ofc i wont run with +4silk robe with poring :P

Thanks  /no1

PS
Can anyone give me any up-to-date skill, item and stat calc?  /hmm

Sarin

SinX is pure pvp char on 99/70. If you want to make a char just for PvP/WoE, go for that. Also, are you going for one char total or you'll be making one char for farming stuff and one for parties?

Perhaps SC/Devo pala will be an interesting choice. It can pull off decent damage if you farm enough Cross Shields to get around +9, it's not a direct DPS character, but you'll be supporting your friends with devo while relying on your hitpoints to keep you alive while inflicting various statuses on enemies to soften them up before going in for the kill with SC. It can be annoying to level and farm gear initially tho. Be ready for some nameless and dimensional gorge farming tho, you'll need a few thingies +9. I'd recommend +9 tooth blade with metaling card and cursed hand with wikebine card to mess with people, and another weapon with four marina cards once you manage to strip armor from them via wikebine card. There are only few really new things in newer patches you'll use: cross shield, if you can get diabolus armor and D. ring, and I can't really think of anything else right now, maybe if Nidhoggr dungeon is implemented, proxy skin fragment.

Bolter prof...in my experience it's a lot about skill. You'll be relying on usage of various skills to keep you alive, but I suppose you have some experience with that from HP. It can compete in pvp in small groups, but WoE on usual scale isn't good for it. Can't really think of a newer gear right now. I suppose this is a good pick if there's no GTB and you don't mind playing a character with small margin for error but good damage.

Nuriel

thanks for your response.

Im completly not interested in WoE now. Too little time to farm everything. I had my best times at WoE at Celestia Ro, Legacy, etc few years ago. Now i want play just for fun, hunt MVP, explore new content.

I think im going to make only one char total, maybe some typical OC/DC merch and mby later one more char. But will start and stick for a while to only one.

As SinX is SBr still viable choise for MVP/PVM? How about PVP with that build. I find regular SB or DD boring and Im not looking for pro-woe type build.

For now im mostly about that SC/Devo pala. Cross shield (wow /lv it) wont be a big problem I think, but probably wont bother myself by getting D. set (or get it mby later) and will stick to valkyrie armor and idk... Tidal+Wool? Is there anything easy to get but better? And how about bone head (its most interestind +str headgear i found) will i be able to get it? Is there anything better now than ring+mantis/vesper core for str accessory? Any other nice garment card except aliot/ray? Or is there something better for boots than green ferus? I dont worry about lvling. First of all there will be reset npc so prob i'll exp as spear/GC then swap to SC.
And you have mentioned toothblade with metaling and cursed hand. As toothblade - isnt MG[4] better? As far as I remember weapon dmg doesnt count to shield chain dmg therefore better get cards like hydra/sw/other race/size combo? Am I wrong? And up to that metaling/cursed hand again in SC build i wont probably use a lot of autoattacks? will it proc from SC cast?

And about that bolter. Who would have higher dmg output? Bolter or shieldchain pala? Or mby gunslinger? I believe I'll handle each of that characters since its not my first time with that game :D Just want something fun and a bit less popular than typical build. So i dont consider anything like SB SinX, FS Prof, etc.

Triper

Quote from: Sarin on Apr 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
Perhaps SC/Devo pala will be an interesting choice. It can pull off decent damage if you farm enough Cross Shields to get around +9
A quick detail about this:
You don't really need an over upgraded Cross Shield, a +4 is more then enough since each refine gives you a super small increase in damage. If I remember it right, me and a friend tested it on naked chars and it never passes the 2 digits so with reduces it's a really small increase.

The RO panorama didn't change much nowadays from when you played aside some new gear maybe. If you really want fun, any char will provide you it as long as you want to play it and dedicate to make it the better possible.

Proxy Skin+Vital shoes are a good replacement to the tidal+wool if you want something better then that.
Proxy is for sure better then everything else except for a Devo Pala where Diabolus Set still give more HP.
Vital shoes is debatable since Diabolus Shoes[1] is still the best footgear available aside specific uses like Variants +0 for a champ.

Sarin

Tooth blade isn't for damage. For damage, you'll simply use tri bloody boned blade or MG. Tooth blade is for status inflicting, as with SC your only option for killing in PvP is to disable people first. Tooth blade inflicts slow cast status that's impossible to get rid of prematurely. Also, stun/sleep/freeze inflicting cards is an option, but most people take care not to be so vulnerable to those. A funny thing about those statuses is, reflected damage counts as melee attack and can trigger casting those. So you can use your reflect shield skill to inflict statuses on other people. On range, use shield boomerang to inflict statuses, but I'm not sure if strip, crit wounds and slow cast will be working through those.

I'd still stick with tidals and wools unless you can get +9 D.boots (I suppose you won't). Tidals refined to +9 with firelock soldier is among best things for STR that you can get. There is of course option to use proxy+variants, essentially dropping the +2 STR in favor of 7% damage reduction. As for headgears, alice doll or bone head, feather beret switch when you're focusing on statuses so you don't take that much damage.

Also, keep another cross shield with tamruan card handy, in case you get link, shield boom spam with link>shield chain.

Fruit Pie~

That server has BG gear, apparently, so make use of it. You want BG gear, it is the greatest gear. You want multiple copies of the BG armor set, not even for different cards, but just for the hell of it - they weigh 0 and are free anyway. The KVM set is slightly better than the BG set in terms of damage reduction, but I find it's much worse at keeping you alive (no slots!) and much harder to acquire (in a much less fun game mode, too!).

But yeah - don't bother with upgrades, defense is a waste of time and zeny. Run a +4 BG set with Ray/Nox (maybe even an Aliot!), Green Ferus, Evil Druid, keep a Swordfish and perhaps a Peco Peco handy. You won't regret it.

About all those classes and builds : Shield Chain and the Bolts do crap for damage, everything Gunslinger has except for Desperado and Triple Action is worthless, Martyr's Reckoning will kill you MUCH faster than it will kill your target, Arrow Vulcan is still as bad today as it was yesterday, Soul Breaker is a joke on par with Venom Splasher and Envenom (so no, it's not viable in the current metagame, and DD isn't either, for the record).

About your friends' builds, I have to wonder which servers you come from and if they ever knew you could use potions in PVP, because HWs, mage Ninjas and god damn CT WSes haven't killed anyone in years now. The HW is at least going to be fantastic support, but I can't see the other two doing anything. Ninja in PVP is really Asura or bust. WSes in any situation are a joke class, please try to convince them not to play WS, it's a bad idea - the "derp builds" you mentioned are literally better in PVP than the CT WS. Yes, even the Linker.

The thing about DPS in RO is that it's too easy to heal up. If potions didn't exist, Lord Knights would be the single most powerful class in the game, because their DPS is crazy but their burst is severely lacking (and they're super tough and mobile, unlike Whitesmiths and Snipers). So it's all or nothing - in PVP, you pick between a burst damage class or support for those, no middle ground.

Now, about PVP damage builds that do work, in my experience (and you don't want the popular ones) : a linked Clown or Gypsy spamming Tarot Card of Fate is amazing, a triple attack grenade launcher Gunslinger does close to AD-level damage if you're willing to farm KVM until you die of old age, Desperado Gunslinger is completely absurd if you end up liking Battlegrounds and still fairly decent in regular PVP (as long as you're not being targeted), you could do a full Grimtooth SinX if you really want to go ranged SinX (and you'll still have Sonic Blow as a viable option) and if BG gear is popular you could go for a gimmicky Homunculus-only Creator, but then I don't see the point in it if you're not going to use AD, which you could very well do anyway.

Comedy option : Turn Undead Priest. Find the closest default Evil Druid user and deal preposterous amounts of damage to him. Watch as he comes back, then switch over to a Seeker-carded shield and Stone Curse him. Works 100% of the time, guaranteed. (warning : not guaranteed)

Oh, and about calcs, try
http://calcx.wushuang.ws/ - This one's pretty up to date, as far as I can tell. It's definitely set in pre-Renewal and seems to have everything.

Nuriel

First of all thank you Triper for info about new useful gear, I'll probably made some use of it.

@Sarin - right I didnt know that reflect counts as melee dmg and can inflict that toothblade. Good to know. I knew that i'll need status weapon for shield boom but I thought about completly diffrent cards. Thank you for info.

@Fruit Pie~ - we probably come from quite popular servers like celestia, using normal WoE builds like SB sinx, emp breaker, FS clown/prof/hp, asura champ, AD crea etc, but back then we were like 22-25 yo and farmed a lot. Now we all are over 30 and dont have time to achieve pro lvl again, and we even dont want. We just want to play some PVM, explore the content we missed - moscovia ie, kill some time. As PVP we prob will stick to pvp each other (not group pvp so mage ninja wont be that bad in that case + we wont focus at pvp it would be like you know - lol farming is boring come i'll kick your donkey. Sadly there will be no world pvp thats why we are looking for other low rate server too) and we prob will make our own rule not to use potions etc. As the CT WS is mentioned - it was just an example. we dont know yet who will we play. One will for sure go SuperNovice :P
Linked clown spamming Tarot is one of my fav class from back when i used to play thats why i want to change it. One of friend said he will go GT SinX so i dont want to copy that idea thats why i was thinking about SBr.
But you have mentioned two interesting builds that I have never tested/done before. Could you elaborate on that Venom splasher/evenom sinx and Tripple action grenade launcher Guns?

Fruit Pie~

Ah, my bad. I thought you wanted to PVP with each other, not against each other. XD Sorry.

About those two "builds"... well, Venom Splasher is unusable. It's randomly bugged depending on the episode, and it's not worth the trouble : you can pop 7k~8k on a single target with it, best case scenario. I was just referring to it as a bad skill. :/ If you REALLY want to build around it, use a 1H and a shield, best ATK weapon you can get (Zipper-carded weapons, etc), since % damage boosts don't work with it. Max STR, Envenom, Poison React and Venom Splasher, whatever else is up to you. I'd personally go STR VIT AGI and be some sort of ridiculous gish, since those three skills pretty much always hit - keep a SinX Dagger or similar tanking item for switching and you're second only to Lord Knights in survivability!

Triple Action GL is the wonkiest Gunslinger build possible, but also pretty effective. Max DEX, balance AGI and VIT however you want - AGI boosts your DPS by ridiculous amounts (GLs get 1 extra ASPD every 2 AGI), VIT makes your DPS more reliable since you won't be dying to a mildly warm breeze. Get the Glorious Grenade Launcher from KVM and refine it to +9/+10 if you can, it's an absolute BEAST for Triple Action. If that's not available and/or you have better things to do with your life than waste it away in the least fun PVP mode since the Turbo Track, get the Soldier Grenade Launcher - it's also beastly, at a ridiculous 600 ATK, but the damage output isn't as absurd due to how multiplers work.

Also, please try and prevent people in your group from making melee Merchants. Friends don't let friends roll Whitesmith.

Sarin

Melee WS is possible, if you're not looking for DPS. Just rely on autoattack breaking gear and inflicting statuses, spiced up with Edge or LoD if you can get it for coma, perhaps even Guillotine if you are confident you've beaten up your opponent enough with statuses that you can safely switch to 2H weapon.