Why are there no popular lowrate vanilla pre-re servers?

Started by lunker, Jul 09, 2018, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunker

I get the general sense that vanilla pre-re is the most popular form of RO, yet all I see these days are Renewal/Classic/Revo servers.  Am I wrong in thinking that pre-re is popular?

Orange

The top 10 low rates on RMS is 4 pre-re, 3 renewal, 2 classic and 1 revo.

Midrate is 7 pre-re, 3 renewal. Highrate is 8-2. A lot of the draw of the pre-re is afaik WoE being good, so if you're playing pre-re its likely because you think it has better pvp/woe, and if you're playing for pvp/woe then it makes more sense to play a mid-highrate

So I'm not sure where you're getting the "everything these days is renewal/etc" - I'm going to take a guess and say that you're looking at primarily newly opened servers. It's a set up market with more servers already, and as you said people like vanilla pre-re. If there's already ~20 good pre-re servers, and you can't do much to stand out or people don't like the changes then why enter that competition?

Revo classic is also new so you'll be seeing a higher frequency of them being opened in the meantime.
:3

lunker

I suppose I have other filter criteria, that being English servers.  By my count the top ten lowrates are 1 pre-re / 3 renewal / 2 classic / 1 revo.  TalonRO does not count because it's not vanilla at all.

Furthermore the pre-re servers that do exist always have terrible population (sub 100).  There aren't any populated vanilla low rates pre-re's which is just odd to me.  Can it really be that vanilla pre-re players are all playing mid/high rates?

Like before GGRO, DoMRO, and RoMRO we still had some servers that would pull 100-300 players happen every half-year or so.  But I hardly ever see these anymore.

Orange

Quote from: lunker on Jul 09, 2018, 09:14 PM
Like before GGRO, DoMRO, and RoMRO we still had some servers that would pull 100-300 players happen every half-year or so.  But I hardly ever see these anymore.

Before then renewal was often poorly implemented/buggy so fewer people opened renewal servers and even if one did, most people had it in their minds that renewal was buggy/sucked in general. That's changed over the years and more people are happy to play on renewal. We now also have revo classic, meaning the population is sharded even more.

There's also the fact that the server open > gief moni pls > server close got worse and worse which I assume pushed more people into playing highrates, rather than get invested in a server like GGRO where they openly advertised that the server will die in in <1 year.

There's now more choice than ever, classic, pre-re, renewal, revo and then you have vanilla+heavily customized in each of those categories.
:3

Zinnia

To be honest I wouldn't be against the idea of launching a true vanilla low rates server as we did with dom and rom, but I want to build it in a way that it is a sustainable business model that can last for at least 18 months.

draugadrottinn

i think its because vanilla pre renewal servers are played by older generations. while renewal and classic revo are played by alot younger players which just started playing RO when it was already renewal or classic revo. vanilla pre renewal taste best because its really feels nostalgic when we were playing it. most vanilla pre renewal players already got children or working so they got almost no time to play. i dont think its easy to attract younger players who started playing RO at renewal or classic revo patch. if someone want to commit in making vanilla pre renewal server they must know that they only can attracts old players. for classic server mostly played by old players too especially who quit before pre renewal patch. but mostly played by pre renewal players who want to nostalgic how were things before pre renewal. some said classic more balanced compare pre renewal though, that's why some prefer classic server.

Charity Case

i wouldnt say there is no popular ones,originsro is pretty good pre re server.
progressive updates is the best way for pre re servers to last long time,which is one of the reaons ,imo,originsro is still around for so many years.

yennar

Quote from: lunker on Jul 09, 2018, 05:31 AM
I get the general sense that vanilla pre-re is the most popular form of RO, yet all I see these days are Renewal/Classic/Revo servers.  Am I wrong in thinking that pre-re is popular?

what really is vanille pre-re low rate?
In my opinion that's a server like an official one without any comforts, but they won't get a huge fanbase.

Some People may come and play, but then you'll see how SLOW leveling really is on 1x. Nowadays nobody wants to invest much time to level a character on a random private server for hours on end to reach maxlvl.
The Players will demand exp events, maybe some quests to level faster, so a server with 2-3x rates will go up to effective 5-10x rates. Maybe make that double with Bubblegums, nom nom.
Then they will complain about autoloot, warp, more/less cash-shop items, etc.
Don't even get started with WoE-usables.
And don't forget the Reseter. Don't even think of making a server without the f****ing Reseter!

Long story short: The fanbase for a true vanilla RO server is pretty limited. People are too used to comfort.

draugadrottinn

Quote from: yennar on Jul 24, 2018, 03:05 AM
what really is vanille pre-re low rate?
In my opinion that's a server like an official one without any comforts, but they won't get a huge fanbase.

Some People may come and play, but then you'll see how SLOW leveling really is on 1x. Nowadays nobody wants to invest much time to level a character on a random private server for hours on end to reach maxlvl.
The Players will demand exp events, maybe some quests to level faster, so a server with 2-3x rates will go up to effective 5-10x rates. Maybe make that double with Bubblegums, nom nom.
Then they will complain about autoloot, warp, more/less cash-shop items, etc.
Don't even get started with WoE-usables.
And don't forget the Reseter. Don't even think of making a server without the f****ing Reseter!

Long story short: The fanbase for a true vanilla RO server is pretty limited. People are too used to comfort.
more likely peoples dont want to challenge themselves into hardcore level. 1x without any exp boost surely hard but really challenging and fun.
i agree with the part that peoples dont want invest their time on 1x low rate private server. even i prefer to do it on official but in the end i disappointed with their battle manual and botters. both makes the game not fun and challenging especially bots. i tried some official servers and end up quit all of them because all i see alot of bots. anyone can get rich and high level without doing anything with bots. alot of players quit official servers because of bots.
but true vanilla RO server like 1x exp and drop or lower drop rate with just gears that dropped by mobs would be best server but hardly get fan since everyone want it easy way. gears that not dropped by mobs usually more OP than normal drops.
no autoloot makes the game more challenging. also with woe supplies that need to farm i think it makes the woe more balanced since not many peoples willing to make high consumables classes. LK probably more popular same as sniper.
i think if anyone want open this kind of server they should do polling on how many willing to join.
unless they willing to open the server with their own money. soon or later players will come as long the server stay alive and advertised.

lllaaazzz

uhh because this game is 20 years old, and they stopped updating pre re officially like 10 years ago

sorry friend

Bottles

Quote from: draugadrottinn on Jul 24, 2018, 05:14 AM
more likely peoples dont want to challenge themselves into hardcore level. 1x without any exp boost surely hard but really challenging and fun.
/heh

draugadrottinn

Quote from: Bottles on Jul 25, 2018, 02:38 PM
/heh
yeah i was playing official server and its quite fun. and several months ago with new official servers i played for a while and its still fun but bots kills the fun.

Judgement

Quote from: lunker on Jul 09, 2018, 09:14 PM

ya answered yourself.  Who would want to join a low rate vanilla server when they just die out every 3-6 months?
Super Smash Brothers 64!

Insomnia2000

Quote from: lllaaazzz on Jul 24, 2018, 01:26 PM
uhh because this game is 20 years old, and they stopped updating pre re officially like 10 years ago

sorry friend
Quote from: Judgement on Jul 26, 2018, 02:46 AM
ya answered yourself.  Who would want to join a low rate vanilla server when they just die out every 3-6 months?

These are the main reasons why there aren't any pre-re low rate vanilla servers. Pre-RE content is 10 years old with nothing new which grows stagnant for the mostly veteran playerbase, which causes them to get bored, resulting in servers closing after a few months when 75% of the players stop logging in and the admin feels like the server has failed.

Maybe the cycle has just repeated too many times and there's no market for it.

Quote from: Charity Case on Jul 24, 2018, 01:51 AM
i wouldnt say there is no popular ones,originsro is pretty good pre re server.
progressive updates is the best way for pre re servers to last long time,which is one of the reaons ,imo,originsro is still around for so many years.

No way lol. Progression is why OriginsRO has had only 14 players on it for over 4 years. The server is still around because the owner doesn't care if it has 2 players or 200. Just so happens there are no other pre-re english servers, and with officials being all messed up, where else ya gonna go?

Franky4Fingers

Quote from: Insomnia2000 on Jul 26, 2018, 07:10 PM

No way lol. Progression is why OriginsRO has had only 14 players on it for over 4 years. The server is still around because the owner doesn't care if it has 2 players or 200. Just so happens there are no other pre-re english servers, and with officials being all messed up, where else ya gonna go?

Meanwhile, origins is still doing well. 4 guilds of 20+ during WoE, parties every day etc... Stability pays off in the world of RO servers