When did you start playing Ragnarok Online?

Started by yC, Mar 11, 2012, 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did you start playing Ragnarok Online?  Be it Official or Private.

2000 or before
2001-2002
2003-2004
2005-2006
2007-2008
2009-2010
2011-2012
2013-2014
2015 or after

wpcarlos

Between 2001-2002, I was a 7th grader then and like the rest of my friends, highly prioritized RO under the motto "Play now, study later."

Such golden times. Every day after school we ran to our favorite internet cafe and play together. We sacrificed recess and sometimes lunch so we could play for longer hours. We had fun and met new friends and acquaintances. And then between friends there comes the betrayal in the form of hacking. Good times, sometimes bitter, when someone very close to you is your hacker and you only find about it a couple years after 3 major hacks. The guy knew my e-mail that's why passwords didn't matter. To make things worse he also knew my sister's e-mail, and my sister was a luckier card finder that I was! One time a card dropped from a Whisper, and she died from the sting of a Hunter Fly just before reaching the card. The same day she was constantly being harassed and kill-stolen by some guy, then my sister retaliated just one time and a card dropped from a Creamy. The guy swore he would tell to the GMs. Hah, good luck finding a GM! And so on.

My sister was a Level 80-something Priest with a grand circlet (from Stormy Knight) and I was a Level 80-something Crusader with a crown. All that stuff gone. I think that's the reason I left official RO for good and only went back to RO (private servers) some years later.

Anyway, I think you can only truly fully experience RO when you've played in an internet cafe. All the fun, glory, friendship, drama, brawling, and humiliation -- in one place. When you're level 60 or above you seemed popular already, many kids gather round you and it's annoying and they smell. Some keep a keen eye when you type your password, some get frantic and tell everyone in the cafe when they actually see a card drop while watching you! And then some are just there to criticize stat builds. Many times kids were bullied and embarrassed for having a bad build and people pressure them to start over on the spot. When you're around level 70 you suddenly have more friends, and around level 80 you were an idol. Level 90 would be a rare occurrence, it could only mean you belonged to a significant guild.

My only regret was not securing backups for my screenshots.

By the way, I'm wondering how people can play RO from year 2000 or below. /hmm

Supah

Quote from: yC on Sep 19, 2015, 06:58 PMI remember I paid with my first credit card lol.  It was a good deal, $15 for 2 months~ of closed beta before they went open beta.

This was the biggest hassle for me since I was still in middle school and had to literally bug anyone and everyone that I knew had one, had to mow a lawn or two to pay my friend back when he finally decided to pay it for me.

Soda

I would say 2003-2004.
I remember many players out there trying to fix up a private server back then...
Because no one wants to pay for it!  /heh

I can still remember my first p.server, EasyRO! [doesn't last long though]

Angra_Mainyu

I know about RO on 2003, But started to play at 2005 due to lack of money and internet cafe was very pricey during that time.

I played on idRO (Indonesia) on Loki server. Try to made a shield crusader, but never made it to crusader.. I played private server after that (xileRO) with friends, but they tend to be busy so left the game. I back again at 2008 to idRO after it made F2P. Retire again at 2009, and being on-and-off years after on private servers until today.

Something funny I remember about this game that, I once felt odd that this game use the word "Heal" for a HP recovery spells. I played FF too much and standarize myself that word "Cure" is the only suitable word for HP recovery spells.. XD

Coochy coochy coo

Im not sure what year really but it was before trans and ninja, gunslinger etc. and yeah it was pricey back then. I remember saving all my lunch money just to play. Dem memories. /sob

khalimandor

yeah majority play in 2003 - 2004. I also play in 2004 when I still young, (8 years old). I the only one stupid kid playing with the older one guys. LoL, and I have my brother who like playing this game online also.  /wah

and then I never play it when comes job 3rd, making many change skill and status point  /sob

now I play in private server in my country and making a new /informasi/download-game-pc-gratis-full-version-ragnarok-online/]blog with indonesian language. Hope that moment to play private server ragnarok online can I get again, when many things happen  /sob

ZoeyRO

Started all the way back in 2003 ish haha. Back when Ragnarok wasn't using any paid system such as the monthly payment etc... It was fun selling warp portals and tanking services ahah. Really nostalgic  /no1

Tetzera

I knew Ragnarok in a way or another since 2006 (bRO), but only really started to play for WoE and guilds in the end of 2008. I ended up missing the great servers like Eternity, ChronosRO, brasilRO. All of them from 2009 or 2010. I'm a bit sad because of that, because I used to play in a very customized 99/70 server. Of course it wouldn't get many players.

I did play one Interguild/Interserver (I don't remember which) and a few servers like IcariaRO.

Kyo-Kusanagi-aka-GuessWho

I read about RO in a game magazine. The game was in the CD of the magazine. The magazine mentioned RO 3 times if I remember correctly. One was the very Beta version in 2002 or 2003. One was the EuropeanRagnarok online trial version in the year 2004 and again a trial version of eRO in 2004/2005.
It was the Beta version I played. I dont remember exactly if it was the Beta on 2002 or in 2003 because I remember that I didint need to pay anything for it. )))
So maybe somebody can tell which it was because I was 7 or 8 at that time. LOL. Makes me one of the oldest player here. :))

So, yes thru a gaming/computer magazine into the beta in 2003/2002 and then again I started playing on eRO seriously.
Ragnarok Online Player since the very Beta. I'm still in love with the game.

xheldc

I first played in the official pRO, 2005.
Gah! There are tons of game out there, but RO occupies huge portion in my heart.

Voryry

I watched from behind my sister's shoulders when she played RO. Then not long after I left my home country, moved overseas for good. I started with iRO because that was the server installed in the Internet Cafes I frequented (I was a new migrant, had no permanent accommodation, had no Internet....). That was why I never played IdRO, and got a bit of culture shock whenever players from IdRO come to play in iRO.

Stayed with iRO for years, from PT to Trans, then renewal hit. It's not to my taste, made a battle whatever (bishop?? duno name, hardly remember anything about that era), and shortly quit. Few years later returned to iRO Classic Loki, played again for years, then semi-quit the server. Not fond of bots, too many of those there.

I rarely log on iRO Classic anymore, mostly around WoE time only. Currently spending my time scouring Classic private servers, in search of a forever home.....

Son Bokutia

I started playing RO back in 2004, if I remember correctly. It was on qRO. Good times, good times.

JOHANN

Played tons eight years ago with several friends. They don't play anymore, but I'm looking to get back into it casually.

Adam Don

2003 official server,..
Priest was my first character, reached 99 level..
After a lot of efforts n time..
It was fun.
~Web Developer~

discord :- yug-webdev

Bakorzero

I started playing in 2003. In my local internet cafe, we have private server already, we even can ask zeny to the billing server cashier coz he is the GM, it was pretty hilarious XD. However I spend many time playing offline RO where we can edit various things in it. I played official in 2005, however my grade score failing so bad so I stopped playing, and the Internet cafe also closed that time. I play RO again in 2015 in various private server now.
A flower of hope — a bond tying us together
Now grows within our hearts.
Forever unwilting, it gives us the power to go on living