Battlegrounds and its effects

Started by Charity Case, Nov 23, 2013, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charity Case

Hey rms, hows it goins?!!

As you can see, I'm posting this topic in regards to Battle grounds. Im making a statistic and i hope rms can help me quite a bit with it!

Lets jump to the point, i got several questions and i was wonder if anyone can help me awnser them,here they are.

1:When was battle grounds first implemented?
2When was it first implemented into private ragnarok servers?
3When was it implemented on the official ragnarok server?
4:What was ragnaroks population prior to implementing Battle grounds?(private servers, official ragnarok would be great aswell)
5:After it was implemented?(both for private and official ragnarok,would be great aswell

Im basically trying to see if theres a connection between battlegrounds and the ragnarok population drop around 2008ish or whenever it first began

Also,what do you think of battlegrounds? do you think it pushed people away from ro or closer?
Personaly i like battlegrounds,but a private servers health would be really lacking if you implemented the current bg system because of what it offers. Too much key items acquired in a short period of time.(i,e game changing kvm gears,and etc) and people really don't  need to be spending that much time playing anymore. i Don't know what other people think, but your feedback would be great!.Post what you think and have a great day!

Fruit Pie~

BG was implemented early 2009, IIRC. It was actually shortly implemented into private servers afterwards, since eAthena dev back then was relatively active.

RO's population in pretty much every country but Brazil and Japan had been in decline since late 2007, which was correspondingly the peak of WoW's popularity, with The Burning Crusade being huge and Wrath of The Lich King even larger (and it's still considered the best expansion that game ever had).

BG wasn't a cause of the decline in population, but rather a symptom, much like Renewal : emergency measures by Gravity to make the game more accessible and fun. Your mileage may vary whether they worked or not - I feel BG was a step in the right direction and then Renewal killed off the game, but I've no hard stats on that.

Oh yeah, also keep in mind BG was implemented after the Unholy Trinity of Veins, Nameless Island and Satan Morroc, where every MVP was one-shotting entire guilds, every WoE was nothing but Creators and there was basically nothing else to do. The game moved so far towards super high level play that everything else was crippled in its stead. If you're knowledgeable in MMOs, you might recognize that as being exactly what killed Everquest!

Meta

That's where RO stopped being fun for me. You couldn't just have basic reductions and almost any combination of gear as long as it was +7-8. You had to have the latest MVP gear or you simply weren't competitive. Naturally, the people who got the gear first also had the best ability to monopolize the MVPs that dropped the essential gear.

I'm not sure how WoE gear works, but it looks like it was meant as a patch over that problem. I don't know how well it worked since the most I have on iRO is an 8x hunter.

Fruit Pie~

If it helps any, BG gear was a band-aid fix for that problem... in PVP.

PVM was "fixed" by Renewal. You know how that one went.

Charity Case

Quote from: Meta on Nov 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
That's where RO stopped being fun for me. You couldn't just have basic reductions and almost any combination of gear as long as it was +7-8. You had to have the latest MVP gear or you simply weren't competitive. Naturally, the people who got the gear first also had the best ability to monopolize the MVPs that dropped the essential gear.

I'm not sure how WoE gear works, but it looks like it was meant as a patch over that problem. I don't know how well it worked since the most I have on iRO is an 8x hunter.
Yeah,unfortunatly that sucks.