RO Private Server these days

Started by Mary Magdalene, Jun 12, 2015, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suspension

Quote from: fugg:D:D on Jun 25, 2015, 04:09 PM
proceed to sudoku.
lol.
Though recently some of these lowrates seem to have gained decent populations. I'm guessing they don't have freebies because they're lowrates, maybe i'm wrong.

Which ones?
Quote from: exii on Jun 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

Ewol

talon and aeva

PS - Because Triper can edit.

Mary Magdalene

I guess it's very rare to see a 255/100 RO with no freebies and has high population like dark-ro had before.

Since what fugg said was right:
People want their gears fast so they can woe, the only aspect anyone cares about anymore.

I guess that's one of the very reason why players these days wants everything to be almost free, and at the same time admins also create an RO that's most are already free, specially overpowered donates.
" Not hurting somebody is a children's nonsense because you will really gonna hurt somebody even if you don't want to "

Ewol

Yo triper my post isn't racist, just factual, but ok.

Dazzu

Quote from: Mary Magdalene on Jun 25, 2015, 11:59 PM
I guess it's very rare to see a 255/100 RO with no freebies and has high population like dark-ro had before.

Since what fugg said was right:
I guess that's one of the very reason why players these days wants everything to be almost free, and at the same time admins also create an RO that's most are already free, specially overpowered donates.

Depends on what you consider a 'freebie'. I implemented a newbie equipment system quite some time ago that provides players with a weapon and armour at certain level benchmarks (albeit it only granted a small stat boost).

Triper

Quote from: Ewol on Jun 26, 2015, 09:09 AM
Yo triper my post isn't racist, just factual, but ok.
Psst, you know how people around here are. Better prevent than let it happen.

Ewol

Yeah, you have a point.

As to stay on topic, other than the servers I mentioned I don't see many big ones. I don't think we'll see servers as big as the recent ggRO again or for a long time, but who knows. Perhaps we will see EternityROv4?

Zleepy

just search the taiwan/thailand scene granted youll probably lag hardcore if you dont live in sea but the servers over there are just about as huge as official when ro first came out

Mary Magdalene

Quote from: Dazzu on Jun 26, 2015, 04:31 PM
Depends on what you consider a 'freebie'. I implemented a newbie equipment system quite some time ago that provides players with a weapon and armour at certain level benchmarks (albeit it only granted a small stat boost).

Well you're right, that's no big problem.

Freebies these days are just like Dark-RO's valkyrie set lol (Unfrozen, Stone curse and sleep resist and stats etc) which just destroys the game at all, then for sure there would be quest armors stronger than those kind of freebies, making it a total crap.
" Not hurting somebody is a children's nonsense because you will really gonna hurt somebody even if you don't want to "

Dazzu

Quote from: Mary Magdalene on Jun 26, 2015, 11:36 PM
Well you're right, that's no big problem.

Freebies these days are just like Dark-RO's valkyrie set lol (Unfrozen, Stone curse and sleep resist and stats etc) which just destroys the game at all, then for sure there would be quest armors stronger than those kind of freebies, making it a total crap.

So I've read. I recall reading a thread somewhere here that some servers actually put overpowered (or at least comparable to end-game) equipment as "donations". It sounds more like micro transactions, ha. Anyways, back to topic.

Grossly entitled players will always demand freebies, but if you provide a stable income outlet, the more sensible players can take advantage of it. I've no idea why server owners would add a bunch of PvP/PvE ready equipment as 'freebies' unless they're running a SHR server. They either want to make a quick buck, attempt to reel in players with a high turnover rate, or they don't have an inkling on how to run a proper server in the first place.

Allow me to also quote some points dreamzky's post, since he made some statements that I would like to argue with.

1. New update
All pserver almost the same. No new mobs. The different is renewal and pre-renewal only. There is no totally new update. Like from pre-renewal to renewal (although that renewal totally messed up  /heh), but that also make me want to play it more. Even other games, waht u want the most is new update content.  Not just some remake new town, skill balancing (damn, it important also!), or same mobs with new colour.

I can't speak for other server owners out there, but the cost of commissioning a credited spriter/mapper is no penny change. A single, custom mob commission has a base price of $60 (lowest I've seen) and adding exclusivity rights can cost them upwards of $100, same applies for 100% custom maps. Which is fair price considering the amount of work and required skills to produce such. This is no easy money since a single commission is sometimes done with a few mob and map orders. Servers who can't afford it will most likely be creative and try to incorporate already existing mobs into their ideas.

I really want mvp that easy to kill while in party (Not too easy like in renewal, normal atk also can kill it), and also can be solo but much harder and take longer time to kill (Not too hard, 1 hit kill, atleast can tank it. I think it can be achieved if mvp deals dmg based on %hp).
The MvP system is supposed to be tackled by a sizable party, and even then it should pose a good challenge. However, with SHR, High, and even mid rate server, the stat caps makes it possible for one person to solo MvPs. Buffing MvPs are sometimes missed by pserver devs, admittedly it's something I should be doing to my server's MvPs.

Each account also should be limit on mvp. Why the f*** same ppl keep killing mvp non-stop just because he/she more stronger than others? Thats 1 more reason why ppl keep change to new pserver just to conquer it. Myb they can kill it, but make item from mvp lootable 1 time only by that same ppl. Mvp will spawn back if item doesnt being loot. It giv more chance for other ppl to kill it.
A monopoly is sometimes necessary to create competition. Allow that type of system and you'll effectively kill competition and it becomes a game of reverse hot potato. Not really a good idea for a server that promotes a competitive environment. I do, however, have an issue with the MvP system where the person who dealt the most damage to it gets the loot and can relate to your statement where stronger players literally have control over MvPs.

I would like to also play devil's advocate and try to reason how freebies can be a good thing to a certain extent. Freebies could be a way of starting off a new player (assuming we're in pre-re, otherwise Eden Quest) instead of throwing them out in the world and leave to figure out stuff on their own. It's also a legitimate method of attracting and possibly permanently acquiring new players, so long as the freebies are far from end-game quality. Freebies should not be a constant measure and its content is highly dependent on the server's nature. If the server's low rate (99/70), freebies should be very minimal(potions, exp boost, etc). No idea about mid rate lol. High Rate is finicky as well. Basic leveling gear (ie. anything better than cotton shirt/knife) may be essential to a PvP-based server, since players may spend a lot of their time grinding for equipment rather than experience. PvE or RP-based servers may not include leveling gears.

Triper

Quote from: Dazzu on Jun 27, 2015, 01:40 AM
I can't speak for other server owners out there, but the cost of commissioning a credited spriter/mapper is no penny change. A single, custom mob commission has a base price of $60 (lowest I've seen) and adding exclusivity rights can cost them upwards of $100, same applies for 100% custom maps. Which is fair price considering the amount of work and required skills to produce such. This is no easy money since a single commission is sometimes done with a few mob and map orders. Servers who can't afford it will most likely be creative and try to incorporate already existing mobs into their ideas.
That is actually quite cheap, real stuff for real games cost a lot more. Yes, 99.9% of the servers out there are jokes.

Mary Magdalene

Quote from: Dazzu on Jun 27, 2015, 01:40 AM

Or more likely a creative admin can just try and learn how to do all of those him/herself, i even approve that one.

Additionally, they'll even learn from it.

EDIT: But nvm, who would do that these days tho (probably a very very few)? Most servers now are all about money and bull s. Because RO servers these days are not all about having a creativity side now, it's all about how much freebies and OP donates it has.

Dazzu

I guess I underestimated the costs, it's a lot more expensive than I previously seen.

As someone who tried to create a full scale map from scratch with no prior experience, it takes a lot of time and dedication on top of your server priorities. I reckon spriting is a lot harder than mapping. Unless owners choose to neglect their rl priorities, they will have to hire someone to do it for them.

(my server is essentially a tf2 hat simulator because of all the donation hats, lmao)

rubie123

Players that play RO these days are ridiculous. You must offer guild packages and s*** like that, or they wont play your server.
It's all about 'whats for free?'. They don't care about if the server is good or not as long as they get freaking freebies.
--------------------------------
RMS NEEDS A MAKEOVER!

SpaceFalcon

You say that like it's the players fault.

Why should I care anymore to much about any server, they all either wipe/close or get screwed over by inactivity/market inflation/corruption... what do these GM's do then? they start a brand new server

At least I wont give to much of a s*** if a mid rate server shuts down, I didn't invest months/years and grind hours each day for NOTHING.