Most expensive server costs monthly?

Started by Mad Niz, Feb 04, 2010, 07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Niz

Whats the greatest cost you heard for running a Ragnarok server? My GM on my old one said he needed 300 a month, which was his excuse for pushing on donations onto the members. Your thoughts?

Pandora

Well it depends on the population size, if it was a small server (< 100), he was either overpaying or lying. When my server was still small it was home hosted, the cost was minimal, it would also have been possible to get something from systeminplace for about 30$ a month that could host about 50 players.

I pay 215 a month for dedicated hosting, about 200 for advertisement (varies each month), and the websites cost amounts to a bit less than 10 a month (paid yearly).
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Judgement

I think it was over 2k for AnthemRO?  Lol Aegis.
Super Smash Brothers 64!

Khaine

I've never even heard of a server costing over 2k O.O then again AnthemRO is a big server...

Servers can cost anywhere from 20$(for nothing more than a simple host) to 300$
Quote from: Serenity on Apr 09, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'm just trying to get laid.
Quote from: HiddenIts time for kickin donkey or chewing bubble gum. And i'm all outta bubble gum.

Lucian

Zone

No, it's because of how much resources and bandwidth AEGIS takes up, and how stupid the admin is.
They COULD have converted to eAthena, but the admin, Felix Kastner aka Talis, refused to change for the longest time. I believe he still doesn't want to, and was banned from Paypal, so they are making the server even more retarded by giving extra credit for donations to keep the server alive. However, this will only kill it. All because they don't have the money to support the server now. On top of that, the server lags like hell. I don't see how people can stand playing with all that lag. Also, the server costs are far more than what was previously stated. I think they are just over $1k each server, and they had 6 servers. I think they got rid of two, so that leaves them with around $4k a month. Unless I am mistaken, since I haven't been there since....hell I can't even remember it's been so long. I could be wrong.

Moral of the story: Don't be a Talis.

Also, for those of you who worry about me giving out his name, I gave that link because that's how he gave me his info on AIM, long ago.

Lucian

Ayu

Hope 4k a month is only a joke or a misunderstanding... how many college students will be able to pay off their debts if they can somehow find the money to earn 4k a month. Actually forget the college situation... it helps everyone in general if 4k a month isn't spent on a simple private server for a MMO game.

Gaming is fun and all, but 4k a month doesn't sound to be worth it at all...

Zone

DeePee

Quote from: Ayu on Feb 05, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hope 4k a month is only a joke or a misunderstanding... how many college students will be able to pay off their debts if they can somehow find the money to earn 4k a month. Actually forget the college situation... it helps everyone in general if 4k a month isn't spent on a simple private server for a MMO game.

Not sure if it's 4k, but at least 2k+

Lucian

Quote from: DeePee on Feb 06, 2010, 03:30 AM
Quote from: Ayu on Feb 05, 2010, 06:57 PM

Not sure if it's 4k, but at least 2k+
Sounds better, but still 2,000 dollars for an online game?

yC

4k a month? u mean donation right?

Back in 2004 I remember seeing Quality RO or EuphRO (always mix up the two ...) told players they pay a total of 2000-3000 a month for server costs and expect that much donation to cover it.  I read the topic, $800 a server lol the biggest bs i have ever seen but it worked with the people.  Well I know The Planet is like the most expensive host, plus a lot of bandwidth ... still i would give it 1k max. 

I am glad server costs are more transparent nowaday so that kind of big lie can't hold anymore.

Back on topic, well I think some owner just didn't save for a rainy day and didn't pick the most affordable solution.

DeePee

They really do pay a few thousand dollars a month for their servers. AnthemRO is an Aegis server, so it's not as cheap as an eAthena server. Runs on Windows, uses MSSQL, needs basically at least 3 powerful servers to run it and...they had to install a hardware firewall to stop an attack.
Hosting an eAthena server is extremely cheap, but hosting an Aegis server is a different story.

Pandora

Last I heard, anthem has a private rack of dedicated servers, not sure which of those, level 4 management which is like 100 a month, the firewall not sure which one they got, I honestly don't think they pay 2k a month, but they could probably say they got a bunch of options to justify that cost.

I once suggested to them they could pay for 6 months instead of 1 month at a time and save, but they said they didn't have the budget to pay 6 months at once.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Kisuka

Seeing as how the creator of this topic is talking about me and my server I might as well reply... Since I don't like people spreading lies about me.

my server's goal each month was $300 a month, we had a $150 a month dedicated server, a $60 vps for the ftp/client download/patcher server, and the rest went to advertising on rms, gamesites200, and other websites. This is a pretty standard monthly donation goal for many private servers, so before you say "which was his excuse for pushing on donations onto the members" you might wanna check your facts. >.>

Recently I moved hosts for both my dedicated and vps, reducing my goal in half almost, to now only $200 a month.