Level 4 weapons

Started by Zinron, Feb 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zinron

I have a question for everyone, Who even bothers to get ANY of the level 4 weapons that require a quest to do. I mean this outside of the actually useful (read:TOO usefull) ones, such as executioner, sword/mailbreaker, ice pick, combat knife.

I've always thought level 4 weapons were supposed to be very powerful weapons, and when it comes to the quests for some of them or the monster you have to kill to get it they damn well should be however most never beat a well carded weapon in terms of damage or in some cases effect. Other weapons may be only -as- strong as a carded weapon, but its obvious which is easier to obatin.

So how many of you even bother to make/find them?

Ansuz Isaz

In all honesty? I doubt very few use most of them. In theory, a +10 Level 4 weapon would kick lots of awesome, but considering how hard it would be to pull that off, it's not really worth it.

The trend is generally using a +10 level one item with as many slots as you could get [ Generally 4, though books only give three, and I'm not sure about a any other weapons that are restricted like that. ] and stacking it with high powered cads. While Gravity might have hoped to make level 4 weapons useful, they're not used that often, are they? xD

I often do the various quests for the sake of doing them. Doing something different to get a feel for the game's less commonly noticed features is about the only reason I've ever done any of the non job change, non dungeon-access related quests.

Majora_younglink

I usually refine them to the safe levels and stop. Most lvl 4 weapons aren't worth getting due to high break chance but I do get some lvl 4 weapons due to usefulness. Such as Berserk and Barrage Fist knuckles.

Zinron

Quote from: Veirt on Feb 11, 2008, 04:06 PM
In all honesty? I doubt very few use most of them. In theory, a +10 Level 4 weapon would kick lots of awesome, but considering how hard it would be to pull that off, it's not really worth it.

The trend is generally using a +10 level one item with as many slots as you could get [ Generally 4, though books only give three, and I'm not sure about a any other weapons that are restricted like that. ] and stacking it with high powered cads. While Gravity might have hoped to make level 4 weapons useful, they're not used that often, are they? xD

Exactly. I'm not sure what they really were thinking when level one weapons usually outclass level 4 weapons simply because they have those few extra slots and the ease of making it +10 (not that having weapon refine helps). When it comes down to it, Most of the weapons simply are not worth the effort.

I'm really looking to increase the usefulness of the level 4 weapons but I'm not sure how to really go about that. A few things that came across my mind already was: Increasing the slots, increasing the refine rates, and swaping some of them with their refined counter parts (and still allowing them to be upgraded).   Mostly simple changes, but its still easy to break the balance.

mmm ya i made the Excalibur on ceresRO and gave it to my alche to help with brewing~

lrellok

I have been playing RO for quite some time, and have yet to encounter a level 1 weapon with any number of cards that will beat a decently upgraded level 3 or 4 weapon.  To the best of my knowledge, the weapon damage and enchantment bonus are added in at the start of the damage equation, while the card and skill damage is added in at the end.  Thus, a +4 suscamund will do SIGNIFICANTLY more damage then a +6 quadruple hurricane Main Gauche, because of how the damage gets calculated.  Even if you are a card nut, the level 3 weapons are the way to go as most have 3 slots AND 100 or more base damage AND enchant at a bonus*5 rate. 
The most dangerous thing a GM can do is to play NPC combatants as if they have brains, goals, and the desire to remain alive.
-Abulafia from WOTC boards

I have not failed, I have simply found 10,000 ways that don't work. -Thomas Edison

Zinron

Quote from: lrellok on Feb 15, 2008, 03:11 AM
I have been playing RO for quite some time, and have yet to encounter a level 1 weapon with any number of cards that will beat a decently upgraded level 3 or 4 weapon.  To the best of my knowledge, the weapon damage and enchantment bonus are added in at the start of the damage equation, while the card and skill damage is added in at the end.  Thus, a +4 suscamund will do SIGNIFICANTLY more damage then a +6 quadruple hurricane Main Gauche, because of how the damage gets calculated.  Even if you are a card nut, the level 3 weapons are the way to go as most have 3 slots AND 100 or more base damage AND enchant at a bonus*5 rate. 

Thats true, however if we do that with more usefull cards or the cards people actually use in pvp (20% against race)the level 4 weapon is at a serious loss. And just like I just did here, can be done with most other level 4 weapons, a simple level one with 4 slots outclassing.

+6 Quadrouple Insectiside MG (4x caramel cards) vs. Andre

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/Zinron/level4-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/Zinron/level4-2.jpg

+4 Sucsamund

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/Zinron/level4-3.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/Zinron/level4-4.jpg

The only reason the sacsamund wins in your scenario is because of the high raw of the weapon itself and the bonus damage from bieng refined, and the fact that andre card adds (not enough) raw damage