How to tell some admin...

Started by Fraterna, Apr 05, 2014, 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraterna

... that he should get his lazy bottom in motion?

well, here's the problem:
i'm playing (and supported so far) some neat german server, the small but growig population's all cool, but then...
there's the admin.
it takes ages for him just to debug stuff, implement all the stuff he promised and delaying the dates of "yeah, will implemented FOR SURE at xx/yy/zzzz, PROMISED!!!111oneoneone"

i tried it all i can think of:
- positive motivation ("nice work, keep going.")  /ok
- begging ("would you pleeeeeease (with cherry on top) fix that/implement this?")  /sob
- negative motivation ("still not done? geez, hurry up you lazy")  /pif
- bribe ("hey, fix this/implement that and i'll donate again fifty bucks.")  /gg
- threat ("do dis or no more donations from me n my guild and other mates")  /an

nothing the hell worked.
all we get is "omgosh, my RL is soooo tiring and pure stress, had no time for that...". and i KNOW thats just a simple lie.
he has 2 other projects going, some minecraft server (where only him and some pal play on), and then there's his other project: some SoM/pkmn/zelda influenced RPG he's making with some RPGmaker.
i play it both, that RPG and RO (minecraft? meeeh, stupid.), and both got some updates this year:
- that RPGmaker game: 10 major updates.
- RO: 3 minor updates/bugfixes (one of those because i made the bugfix and stuffed it down his throat)

i know that the ro-stuff he wanted to implement is way less work than the RPGmaker game, due i script a lot for RO and also played around with RPGmaker for a while. so i can tell the difference  /no1

so, i really have no clue how to tell our admin to get going.
guess my pals, me and my guild all have donated a few hundred bucks for sure, so why the hell won't he just work a bit for the project he actually gets something for?
when we ask "y u no interested in RO anymore?" we get "i am, i'm working at it"... but nothing happens.
i scripted a lot stuff we suggested (admin: "good idea, will be implemented ASAP"... never was) but even that was never used.

anyone some idea? except something like "leave dat stupid server and play another one".

Gardosen

you should think about if it is realy worth to play there anymore.

someone who needs so long to fix something or implement something, doesnt realy want to develop the project. they want a cashcow or something like that. and thats not good.
Ragnarok is, and will ever be a permanent development game. even private servers, should always keep updating permanently and one of the most important things is to fix bugs as fast as possible without implementing crashbugs.

Greetings
Gardosen

Fraterna

yeah, thought that, too.

but on the other hand, i invested a lot of time n work into that server.
and just leaving it cause of the admin? meeh.  that server has too much potential.
as i mentioned: the community is all good (except the normal percentage od idiots, thought), nice ideas n stuff, not too imbalanced.... but as peter griffin would say:
what grind my gears?
unreliable n lazy admins!

dontknowright

You already voiced your opinion to the admin.
If he cares, he'll take it seriously.

If he does not, vote with your game time elsewhere.

cauyao615

you should hijack that server

Fraterna

Quote from: cauyao615 on Apr 13, 2014, 11:55 AM
you should hijack that server

thought about that, too xD
well, i give that lazy dork some more time to fix things up and try to hold the community together.
if nothing changes within a fair ammount of time i guess i really should leave the server, and then most players will too.
guess i'm that piece of sticky old bubblegum that glues most of people there ^^°

Hubert

Do like I did. Tell them that their server sucks and then quit their GM team. Huehuehuehue.

Don't bother hacking or hijacking it though. It's not really worth the effort. If enough people feel like you do, their server will end up in the graveyard with every other failure. Plus it's not worth any potential legal issues that may arise from forced entry into another server.

In all seriousness though, if you're troubled so much by your server's administration, you should just find another server. I know it's becoming increasingly hard to find a server that matches what any given person can want, but that's really all you can do. A lot of admins lack the capacity to listen to their players, or their staff members. That's one of the reasons why more servers die quickly as opposed to becoming established and successful. And yeah, I'm mad. But I'm speaking the truth as well.

Fraterna

lol... nevermind...

i'm leaving that server.
well. i'm forced to: told the admin once again that he should move his lazy azz -> got banned.
with me, 80% of the servers population left.
so server's going offline.
well, guess i'll search a new server now. (but never ever again some german server... german server = huge drama, baby)
moral victory: me.

Ted4you

Fraterna

nope.

i started there as normal player. as usual, if there's only one admin (and who is barely online) i found alot of bugs and crap to alternate i reportet to him.
server population grew, admin was a bit overwhelmed due all that stuff, so i helped out: debugs, adjusting NPCs, Mobs, Items...
as normal player, i did way more scripting last half year than our (unemployed. yeah. no work. so time all day) admin.
there were also other supporting players, well, they weren't that great with scripting but with other stuff: translating items/skills into german, making Logo's... first few things were implemented, then, after a while, the admin stopped doin anything (no updates, not implementing stuff we made for him, no bugfixes...)

of course, we all got pissed because of that behaviour, and there was one guy (well... me.) who started to TRY to motivate the admin. (as written above). nothing worked, and now it's the end:

the usual German-server-drama started:
- suddenly i lied all time (openly ask "hey, i've sent you stuff, y no implemented" surely isn't a lie ^^)
- because of me he lost motivation (despite i tried all except sexual favours to motivate him... my bunghole stays virgin)

well, guess i will search again for a lowrate-highlevel server (usual LR with 99/70 is as boring as any highrate.)

Wyvern

Almost sounds like he was using his RO server to raise money for his other projects, or just to gain money, at least when he got tired of working on it. It sucks that you donated a lot of money to it though

When they get less interested in working on a server, it's oftenly hard to see them back in full action, and the server usually goes downhill soon after. Same for poor decisions made by the GM team.

Good luck on your search.