Warpportal Blocking European Region Access except for Russia and CIS Countries

Started by yC, Apr 25, 2018, 02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeePee

Quote from: Xarale on Apr 27, 2018, 10:14 PM
Another nail in the coffin for iRO I guess.  I imagine there'll be a nice new influx of players coming over to private servers though, if it's not already happening that is.

-X.

It is, we're starting to notice it already, haha.

yC

Just took a look around the WP forum, to my surprise this EU ban is killing the RE:restart server that opened roughly one year ago.  It was said half the server population were banned because they are from the affected EU countries.  Sad for them, I guess these players wanted to play a classic official server a year ago when there weren't a more local official server available.  When WP said they are not going to bother with the GDPR most of us think they estimated the impact will be fairly small.  Still can't believe even if you settles for the official server, you could still be affected by things other than "server closed" or "owner ran away" that result in losing your account / hard work.

yennar

Corgers

Unfortunate that EU is closing down - would love to see RO continue to grow across all regions.

Join CorgiRO! A fresh server with Multi-Classing + Daily Quests!
[color=blue]Our RMS Introduction![/color]
Watch Our Video! [color=pink](ft. LilyPichu)[/color]
Visit: Our Website | Forum | Facebook | Discord

yC

As I was reading the Gravity earning report released today, I found an interesting piece of information that is worth to share:

QuoteThe Company plans to re-launch Ragnarok Online in Russia and CIS countries in 2018. A CBT is currently being conducted in Russia and CIS countries, which will be completed by August 7, 2018.

Source: http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFrameset.asp?FilingID=12877308&RcvdDate=7/27/2018&CoName=GRAVITY%20CO.%2C%20LTD.&FormType=6-K&View=html

Nitrous

literalwho

Surprised nobody posted this yet:
https://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/topic/238762-taiwan-hong-kong-and-macau-block-response/
Quote from: CampitorHello Everyone,

My apologies for the delay in our response. We were investigating what was going on with the login issues.

This is what we found:

Recently we received word to block login access from regions serviced by the twRO partner and our IT team implemented this change. Due to this we are prohibited from accepting direct access from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. However, users may still login through connections originating from North America and other regions we directly service.

Sadly, this is not something we can choose not to do as this decision came from above. If you are affected by the block, recently made purchases, and have no intention of playing please let us know in a ticket so we can assist you further.

Lastly, I want to apologize for any frustration this has caused. We could have handled this much better with notifications and postings and will strive to improve in the future.

If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them all day.
TL;DR: Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau regionlocked to twRO.

Quote from: Corgers on Jun 14, 2018, 01:41 PM
Unfortunate that EU is closing down - would love to see RO continue to grow across all regions.
EU (euRO/fRO) is not closing down, no idea where you got that from.

Xarale

Wow, Gravity is really going all out with the region locking this year.  I wonder if CIS countries will get region locked to their own server too?

-X.

Corgers

Apparently the RU release had a lot of initial interest, but cooled off almost immediately. At least it's proof that RO is still going strong!

Join CorgiRO! A fresh server with Multi-Classing + Daily Quests!
[color=blue]Our RMS Introduction![/color]
Watch Our Video! [color=pink](ft. LilyPichu)[/color]
Visit: Our Website | Forum | Facebook | Discord

Playtester

I wonder if euRO (and most MMORPGs, really) actually complies with the GDPR. As far as I know stuff like email address and password is saved as part of the Aegis database. Wouldn't it require to save that data encrypted and with a sufficiently secure encryptions then? So would require to adjust Aegis to support that. And if they did that for one country, could also roll it out for other countries.

Of course same goes for private servers if they actually care about being GDPR conform.

Plus of course updating all the websites to block access until you confirmed "Yes, I accept [company] temporarily storing my personal data that is required for the website to function" and saving that data in a secure way and delete it once it's not needed anymore.