Why Be A Game Master?

Started by Guest, Dec 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarale

There's various reasons;

Some do it for the power.  These are the ones you'll find sitting in main towns, not doing much else aside spamming GM commands, and even randomly killing players in towns.  They'll probably be quite stuck-up too, and may ignore a player who actually requires help.

Some do it for fame.  These are usually the ones who end up abusing their broadcast commands, and spam various disguise/effect commands when no one is giving them attention.

Some do it with their legit character in mind.  Obviously, these will be the ones who will use their commands to aid their legit accounts.

Others just do it cause they truly love their server, and enjoy helping to make it a better place for all.

Genjizo

Most common answer would be just cause people want to be cooler than the rest. Power corrupts.

However you never know, some people just wanna be GM's just to have a reason to play RO. Correct me if I'm wrong but once you become an admin/server owner, RO doesn't have that much thunder to you anymore.

InsurGensuji

Just as it has been said in this post. Most do it for those reasons. Its nice to know a GM would rather be able to help the server rather than themself or their friends.

Dauphine

I recently quit GMing. I never thought I would remember how it would feel to be free again, and not so stressed out anymore!

Crap job guys, craaaap :(

LiteX

Quote from: Dauphine on May 15, 2009, 06:09 AM
I recently quit GMing. I never thought I would remember how it would feel to be free again, and not so stressed out anymore!

A good GM gets stressed all the time by answering the players and solving problems, a bad/corrupt GM never gets stressed because he is only doing what he wants, most people think being GM is all candy and cake while the real job is a s*** load of stress
ライテ‐エクス

Dauphine

Quote from: LiteX on May 15, 2009, 06:42 AM
Quote from: Dauphine on May 15, 2009, 06:09 AM

A good GM gets stressed all the time by answering the players and solving problems, a bad/corrupt GM never gets stressed because he is only doing what he wants, most people think being GM is all candy and cake while the real job is a s*** load of stress

I didn't sleep properly for the longest time D;<

I blame noobs.

Lost~Dreams

Playing as a normal player got boring.

[color=green]Your/You're.

I did ask to keep this thread clean and mature.., don't go there by bypassing the filter + calling people names.

456450456884649856 day warn Ps. I love you Lost~Dreams -Relics[/color]

Zelos

I simply like helping new players, taking the time to introduce them to the server, give them a quick tour. I have recently stopped GMing, I needed to relax a bit. I plan on coming back as a GM soon though.

Aire

Because it instantly boosts your e-go. Who doesn't like ego boosts? Other than that, they just like abusing the privileges while they ignore the responsibilites... it's horrible. Thank God I'm not like that and that I won't hire any GM like that, either.

Poki

One step closer to dominating the world.

Green

Eh. T'was never something I set out to be. Was on Sem for ages, and then got asked to help out. So I did? XD
Like people have said, you adore a server enough to want to protect it by smiting rule-breaking noobs that try and ruin it help it out. =D
But then, I also had the time back then. And the patience.

Curse you, old-er-ish age!

Hikaru90

I have always been tahnkfull for GMs work, because they keep server running, and ban those idiots who could otherwise ruin the server. At first I didn't want to be GM, because I was always afraid of my own language barrier. (my english was more worse back then)

Later on I end to help new players with basic info, because I knew how horrible it was to be in lost in huge place without help. I went to server where thy was seeking for helpers and got interested about that 'title'. Well, I didn't get in, because there was simply better players for being helper. It was huge server back then.

Then I end to small server where I was accepted as helper. I was 4months helper and really happy about it. It made me wonder if I would be nice as GM, because I really enjoyed helping out in game and forums. It was all I have always dreamed of. My dreams got granded when one of main GMs of the server I played back then, asked me to be a GM. Ofcourse I took the job. (but that server was small so I didn't get much experience...)

Now I'm GM on another server which is not up yet, but anyway!

A reason why I want to be GM, why I love it. Is because I want help out admins hella hard work by guiding newbies and solving problems while admins work on actual scripting and so on. I Like helping eventhough it sometimes become really tiring because of flamers. BUT as GM I don't have still much experience. What I want is getting current server run proper to get more palyers to help! Rules are allmost addiction for me :'D

But talking about why other players want to be a GM... some girls might want to be GMs because of cute GM dresses ;] Or because they want be higher status than other, want GM powers to be cool, want items... I HOPE most of the "wannabe gms" learn the real meaning of being GM! :]

KillerCore

I always like to help people so gamemaster fits me best. besides i know my way around servers and i like to fix things xD

http://play-yaros.com, Aegis full episode 12.1 partial 13.1, 5/5/5, no custom items, no donations, dedicated server, friendly community, capable GMs, frequent updates, opened on june 5th!, Upcomming Summer Event.

Max

I really like the server I play on because the ideals (close to official, bugfree, botfree, donationfree) behind it correspond to my own. I was always helping people with questions and eventually I ended up helping the Admin with some server related stuff :P I just want to make it a better place, and I felt that I could help.

Hutchy

The only discernible reason I can see for someone wanting to be a GM is...

They f***' love to be miserable. It's their favorite pastime. They think it's f***' fabulous to be annoyed by small children and people spamming "gm giv itam plz huuuuuu -.-" all damn day.

It's funny for the first couple of hours. Then it's just ridiculous.

Some people treat it as a job, too, which also baffles me. I don't do anything that can be classified as "work" for free, and I don't know why anybody else would, unless they're... you know... not old enough to go out and get a paying job.