Why Be A Game Master?

Started by Guest, Dec 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soma

Bah, I really can't understand people's needs to be a moderator.
Sure, I'd step up to the plate if a server was in dire need of some assistance, but usually the administrators too paranoid to want any help whatsoever.
Either that, or the community's too rotten for me to care much.
It's funny though, how in many cases its easier to get an administration position in a server (download/set-up eAthena) than it is to get hired as a moderator (usually involving a lot of butt kissing, if you're not already moderator/administrator's friend)
If I were to ever want to be a game moderator, it'd be solely to help out the server.
Of course, not many other people feel that way (the people who hound over moderator positions), I'm sure.

In any other case, I'm sorry, that shoe doesn't quite fit.

Cockroach

Cause, if I didn't do it some corrupt noob will and ruin the server for me.
Fair? kthxbye.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Want something done right, gotta do it yourself.

Zelos

Well it depends on what server it is. Like is it a server in need of good GMs after a loss of one? Is it just a server that you played on forever so the Admin wants you to become a GM?

Anyway my answer would be I love to help. During events I love to have fun with players. I love making a fool of myself in events :D (jk) I just want to help out any server really that is in need of GM Creed~

Tieria

I think nearly anyone who has been a Game Master will agree with me; at first it's a very enjoyable experience, you do get a lot of "fame" and "glory" - but you'll also meet people who will give you a hard time for no reason at all. Eventually the cons start to outweigh the pros, and that's when most people stop caring because they aren't getting the ego/powertrip anymore.

The fact of the matter is, being a GM, particularly one with a lot of responsibility for the community as well as server side issues, isn't easy. I can see why people don't understand why we do it, and I don't think there is a simple answer to "why" either.

Everyone has their own reasons, some are negative - power, abuse via unlegit items/zeny, popularity - and some are positive - a genuine desire to help the server, to make it grow, etc. You'll find a lot of people start out with that sincere wish to help a private server prosper, but after the original hype of the job dies down and they realize how much work it is, no one wants to do it anymore or they end up going sour and corrupt.

Unfortunately there are a lot more bad Game Masters in the world of Private Servers, ones that'll give the rest of us bad names, but it can't be helped. I've never done something unlegit in my entire RO career, but I have been accused of it and people have started rumors for whatever reasons. Eventually it happens to almost anyone, no matter how nice you are or how well you do your job. So, why?

I've worked on several servers with a population of anywhere between 500 players to 1000+, I've got a lot of experience under my belt, so I've found my reason for GMing. You may call it selfish but I do it mostly for myself, and I think it's better that way. Yes, I do want to help the server, but I moreover enjoy certain aspects of the job and so I continue to work on the staff for my reasons.

I've been doing this long enough that there's no chance that I'd take a GMing job for popularity (partly because I know it doesn't work that way), nor will I be in it for the "power" (since I simply don't care much for it), and my general awareness of how RO communities work will forever prevent me from being biased. In terms of my knowledge and opinions, after a very long time, I've settled into a nice little corner and found a comfortable spot in the world of RO, and I plan to stay here.

Enjoy your wall of text! Although there's one more thing I've got to add to this;

GMing is a thankless job, often the only thanks you get is in the silence when no one is complaining.

I quit! No longer GMing, thanks.

Head Monocle of DOOM

Quote from: Tieria on Jan 12, 2009, 02:26 AM
Unfortunately there are a lot more bad Game Masters in the world of Private Servers, ones that'll give the rest of us bad names.
I don't believe this is nesessarilly true it's just that peole on a whole creave bad news and shun good news and that is why 90% of American news is Political scandal, murder, rape ect...
Proof or it didn't happen.
All server reviews are based on a reviewers experience.
This is how negative server reviews work.
Eddy, carrots are good for your eyes, can it dial a phone.

Tieria

Quote from: Head Monocle of DOOM on Jan 12, 2009, 02:38 AM
Unfortunately there are a lot more bad Game Masters in the world of Private Servers, ones that'll give the rest of us bad names.
I don't believe this is nesessarilly true it's just that peole on a whole creave bad news and shun good news and that is why 90% of American news is Political scandal, murder, rape ect...
I just think that between all the random people some Administrators hire, there are less people who do their job well than there are people who don't do it at all. That's just in my experience/opinion, though, and I fully understand where you're coming from.

People always spread things about the bad staff members, never the good ones. :<

I quit! No longer GMing, thanks.

Littlechan

Quote from: Tieria on Jan 12, 2009, 02:43 AM
Quote from: Head Monocle of DOOM on Jan 12, 2009, 02:38 AM
I just think that between all the random people some Administrators hire, there are less people who do their job well than there are people who don't do it at all. That's just in my experience/opinion, though, and I fully understand where you're coming from.

People always spread things about the bad staff members, never the good ones. :<

because most people just look at the bad side D:

but yes, I agree with tieria, that GMing is a thankless job

(I rarely got someone thanks me >.<)

but that doesn't mean we stop GMing right? after all, we become a GM to help the server, not for popularity ;D ;D

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Rudolph Zyaber

I was a GM for a short time, and while it often is a thankless, boring task, if you play your cards right and do things the community likes, they often take the time out of their busy days to give thanks to the overlor-I mean GM.

Anyway, I found it quite challenging and sadly like all things I endeavor to excel at, I lost interest in it rather fast.  being able to do anything and everything is boring as hell.  I'm sadly the kinda guy who would rather partake in others accomplishments instead of having others revel in my own.  It's kinda like LittleBigPlanet.  I hate making levels but I love playing them.  Get where I'm coming from? 

Anyway, my point is that it's not for everyone.  GM's are a rare breed of people, masochists if you will.
Bleh

VinLRO

For me it was mostly curiosity in the beginning and later it changed to the fun in organizing things and helping players.
Btw: I believe, that a lot of GMs do it because of the Donations.

A lot of GMs do it for the money.

am i the only one getting depressed hearing this over and over?

Zelos

Quote from: JJJ on Jan 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
A lot of GMs do it for the money.

am i the only one getting depressed hearing this over and over?
Nope your not the only one.

Aris

I think nearly anyone who has been a Game Master will agree with me; at first it's a very enjoyable experience, you do get a lot of "fame" and "glory" - but you'll also meet people who will give you a hard time for no reason at all. Eventually the cons start to outweigh the pros, and that's when most people stop caring because they aren't getting the ego/powertrip anymore.

The fact of the matter is, being a GM, particularly one with a lot of responsibility for the community as well as server side issues, isn't easy. I can see why people don't understand why we do it, and I don't think there is a simple answer to "why" either.
[/b][/color]
tis woman (or man) speaks the truth.

Fusioneko

I've been a Server manager, administrator for a game thats not a private server. a Fan based game made on byond called "Dragonball Finale" It was hell. Now of course I hosted for a year and a half, and played 2 and half years. The game was fun. But I don't think it's that tough. The reason I want a status is simple, I just want the responsibility. I like having the responsibility,  By the way, that particular community I ruled over was the dump of the internet, almost worse then /b/ in intelligence, meme's thrown everywhere. OVER NINE THOUSAND! It was insane.

But I gained a big tolerance factor to stupidity because of it.

Mewi

My only goal as a GM is justice, the rules, and the order of law.   Of course I always think about the player's well being above those... However, When it comes to people breaking the rules, there is no "inbetween" and I will not sit idly by as someone violates said rules and attempts to justify it with some obscure excuse.

Certainly there is room for some flexibility, but one should not let people get away with it, as it creates a void of distrust.  Even if you do administer/warnings and punishments for the most obvious rule violations... People are going to complain~

Rule offenders use Terms like

"its just pvp" =  "( I can say all the racist things I want )"

or

"I dont bot you nazi GM" = "( I do bot, I'm just ashamed to of been caught )"

or

"People should be allowed to trash talk" = "( I should be able to say whatever offensive thing to my friends publicly )

When it comes down to it, especially that last thing.  If I can see it, and it is against the rules that means it is done publicly... Whether or not you are in the middle of prontera, a corner of some unknown map,  or questing.  You can still be punished for it, seeing as how ... if I can walk by and see it, that means any player can walk by and see it.  Privacy only pertains to PM/Guild and Partys, private information and maybe jawaii huts.  *reminds self to add that into any future rules*

Getting off topic here ;3

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.