Why Be A Game Master?

Started by Guest, Dec 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I'm curious, why do people want to be Game Masters?
I mean whats the real appeal to it?

Do people just want the power? Possible fame? Or what?

Shinn

no s***, obviously fame. iz liek y u a mod JJJ? right? xD

I kid I kid, I don't know JJJ I think it's simply because they feel like they are fit for that job in hopes that some day...some day that their un-corrupted minds and great event hosting abilities will bring the server to fame.

But really if I was asked "heyz shin y u GM?" I would say "making my players happy makes -me- happy"

::) ::)

Cheers,
Shinn.

cause after all the drama, I still slain em.

Need a site done? contact me.

Gizmo

The moderator possition I hold on Aeon was not one I'd asked for. It was something that I just sort of ended up with as a result of being heavily involved with the plots we have running on the server.

I certainly don't regret it. I love being a mod. I don't have a lot of power, sure, but I get to do a lot of the fun things like effects and the like. Disguises ... I suppose the reasons everyone has for being a GM or a mod are different.

My responce to it would have to be the same as Shinn's. I love my job because it helps to keep the server active, and it makes the players happy. And that gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Plus, it's an awful lot of fun to goof off and disguise players as silly monsters.  /heh

Littlechan

for me:

because I love the server so much that I want to help the server ;D

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Head Monocle of DOOM

Quote from: Littlechan on Dec 20, 2008, 08:24 PM
for me:

Quoted for truth and agreement.
Proof or it didn't happen.
All server reviews are based on a reviewers experience.
This is how negative server reviews work.
Eddy, carrots are good for your eyes, can it dial a phone.

Littlechan

Quote from: Head Monocle of DOOM on Dec 21, 2008, 12:39 AM
Quote from: Littlechan on Dec 20, 2008, 08:24 PM
for me:

Quoted for truth and agreement.

thank you for agreeing with me ;D

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Pow

I just like the chicks and the guns.

Uhh, yeah. I do it because somebody has to, and alot of people aren't professional when it comes to such activities.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Cielte

Some people the way I see it just like having the powers so they can either 1: Go off and spam @kill/@nuke on someone they hate, 2: The ability to make a "legit" with really overpowered s***. 3: Screw a server over without knowing, or 4: They just want to help the admin/other Game Masters out.

As for me though, I do it because I love helping, and it takes some of the burden off the Admin.

asdfqwerty123

(Being an admin/owner/creator, my answer is slightly different)

Because after playing tons of servers, I wanted to make a fun highly customized Super High Rate server that did not give donation players any PVP or WoE advantages.  I never made it because I ever thought I was going to play it, I made it so that others could play it and not have to worry about overpowered donation players dominating them regardless of the work they put into their f2p characters. That was one thing I absolutely hated about other Super High Rate servers when I was still playing as a player with a group of friends jumping from one server to another. People still do that today, they'll leave our server a while to see what others are like, and eventually come back because they have the most fun on ours and a lot of their friends play here.

Mewi

For me personally its for this reason.

Because no one can do it right except me ;3

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Hanyuu

My reasons change from server to server. The first time was because I actually cared about the people who played the server, and that I cared a lot for the admin so I'd help him out where I could. It was a nice server, the kind where I'd would have stayed forever if it didn't close from all the drama a few players kept starting. =\ Should he ever decide to open it again, I'll be there, just not as a GM anymore otherwise I can't have a legit and play in pvp/woe without some asura champ screaming that I'm cheating.

Other times it was because I could have the job. I didn't care much for those servers, so yeah I'll admit to being corrupted. It was more or less a lesson for those new server owns to give a trial for ALL GMs whether they seem experienced or not. And to check their logs, which none of them seemed to be able to do. *sighs* Gotta love those kiddies who shell out cash for a server someone else runs and maintains for them without ever knowing how to read a guide.
I cannot quench your thirst
Because even if you yearn for the truth, you refuse to believe in it.

I cannot quench your thirst
Because no such truth exists that you are in anticipation for.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one the that put you into the desert.

Untitled

It really depends on the person you're asking. Well some want the power to own annoying nabs, others want to be known throughout the server. Seriously though, those two reasons are the worst reasons you can have. Honestly I think that those people with those reasons have no idea how hard it is to have people crowd you. Noobs would even cuss at you lol xD
Some people on the other hand, may have noticed that the admins or other GMs need more hands to help them, a much more noble cause to be a GM xD Well if this is a person's reason to become a GM then he/she srsly cares for that server d:
Personally though, I've never planned to be a GM at all. o.o I 'ono, just not attracted to power ~.~

Aris

I never really wanted to be a GM back on LRO. Even when I got asked to be a GM Assistant (GM later and then Head GM) I refused Itakou at the start but my friends made me PM him again and accept the job. It turned out fun to be a GM. I can even admit that I liked the attention and the fame. Still, I wanted to quit many times because being a GM is annoying even with all the good things that come with it.

Tho to answer the question, I think the few main reasons are that they want attention, they think its easy and they just like the fact that they were a GM on a RO PServer which isn't really a big deal lol.

Traflia

it really depends on the community for me, good community means good GMs, i was a admin for a GREAT community and so i was a kind and nice admin to them all. but ive also seen the bad communities where its constant "give me lvl, give me weapons, give me this, give me that, i wana be a GM", they will piss off a GM and therefore they get sick of them and jus boot em.

so as far as im concerned, if u have a good community there to back you up, you'll be a good GM, if u dun, than u'll get pissed off FAST! and probably quit.

Mewi

Quote from: Traflia on Jan 02, 2009, 03:41 AM
it really depends on the community for me, good community means good GMs, i was a admin for a GREAT community and so i was a kind and nice admin to them all. but ive also seen the bad communities where its constant "give me lvl, give me weapons, give me this, give me that, i wana be a GM", they will piss off a GM and therefore they get sick of them and jus boot em.

so as far as im concerned, if u have a good community there to back you up, you'll be a good GM, if u dun, than u'll get pissed off FAST! and probably quit.

Not true,  you could be the best GM in the world, the moment you do your job right is the moment you are villainized by trolls, and trolls always have a way of capturing the community's eye.  No good GM is safe from trolls.

Same could go for exact opposite,  you could have best community in the world, with the suckiest GMs ever lol.

and I've known admins who were "nice to everyone"  lets just say, it was no walk in the park for a GM.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.