What does "GM" really mean to you?

Started by Mewi, Feb 07, 2008, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phranxis

Swift

the first think i think of is gay man

muppy

When I hear GM I think of a godly person who has all commands for game and rules you.  :P
Serve under the owl dukes.

Divinity RO

Level 99 Lord Knight - Muppy
Level 96 Whitesmith - Cookies and Cake
Level 68 Crusader    - Zitheras
Level 80 Monk         - Anacondaq

I'm trying to learn to make my own private server.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: Mewi on Feb 07, 2008, 01:02 PM
I feel that "Game Master" is an inaccurate acronym for the actual position in question.  The term "Game Master" sounds more like someone who has mastered the game and knows more about it than anyone else.  Which we all know is not the case for pretty much every GM.  We can't know it all ;3

"Game Master" comes from the original tabletop RPGs.
Since the TT Game Master role is to 1) Know the game rules(In RO it would be server rules not game rules since game rules are already being enforced by the game itself) 2) Enforce these rules and 3) Have a final word in any disagreement, I think the term is pretty appropiate.

QuoteAlso in terms of authority the word 'master' sounds more like a slavery term in my opinion.  All the terms for master just do not seem to accurately describe what an actual GM is.

GM's job is not being your friend, it's punishing people who break the rules.

Tears of Blood

Game Moderator is what I think of it.

Game Manager sounds alright too, I suppose.

Personally, I think we should change it altogether to GA (Game Administrator) or something. GM has too many different RO meanings such as Guild Master and Guild Member.

Quote from: Tears of Blood on Apr 22, 2008, 08:53 PM
Personally, I think we should change it altogether to GA (Game Administrator) or something.

lol i second that notion~!

Tears of Blood

At the same time, "GM" is drilled so far into my head that I'd still be using it all of the time. Not to mention, we'd all have to change our names, as most GMs on a server have a GM Title. "GM _____"

So maybe it's just best to stick with what we've already got? I don't think many want to change it, anyway.

I can just imagine announcing to me server "Hey, everyone, from now on we are GAs, not GMs!" I'd probably end up having to go before The Inquisition or something... Just kidding. xD

Pandora

For convenience sake it's easier to keep GM.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

i guess but GM really does sound kinda lame Dx

Mewi

Quote from: Tears of Blood on Apr 24, 2008, 09:11 AM
At the same time, "GM" is drilled so far into my head that I'd still be using it all of the time. Not to mention, we'd all have to change our names, as most GMs on a server have a GM Title. "GM _____"

So maybe it's just best to stick with what we've already got? I don't think many want to change it, anyway.

I can just imagine announcing to me server "Hey, everyone, from now on we are GAs, not GMs!" I'd probably end up having to go before The Inquisition or something... Just kidding. xD

XD  I can only see it now... all the immature kids start calling us GAys >.>" Of course I am lesbian so it doesnt bother me toooo much x3

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

xDDDD lol actually i can picture that too =o

Tears of Blood

SinX7

If you are building a computer and/or need help, just give me a PM and Ill be glad to help you!
Quit RO and came back :D

Brainstorm

QuoteThe term "Game Master" sounds more like someone who has mastered the game and knows more about it than anyone else.
I believe the term suits me finely, in terms of overall game/server knowledge, i might not know everything about RO, or at least spit out an answer to all questions out of nowhere, but i sure have messed with the game more than 99.9% of RO players you have seen around.

phranxis

the abbr. GM has no more meaning. it just refers to people who are higher than normal player(well it DOES have a meaning)
just like WTF which refers to holy cow or what!!!. cus no one types the real meaning
WTF can also refer to F*** or holy s***! (can also refer to !!!!!!)
just like GM.