What do you look for in a GM?

Started by AxeGunner, Jul 15, 2007, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mewi

Quote from: Zone on Dec 29, 2007, 11:42 PM
o.o;;
Okay then, back on the subject!!

Yeah XD  So Zone,  what do you expect out of an Event GM? 

I could never stand being an Event GM XD  I could do it... but I didn't want too haha,  out of my zone I guess D:

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Zone

Personally, I look for good ideas, a flexible schedule, and planned events, instead of just throwing them out there out of no where.
Event GMs should do more than just events though, Events should be weekly I suppose, just to keep them rare so they really are events, unless it is something important.
Event GMs should be able to script or sprite, generally, or be a support, as not everyone can script.
As every GM, they should be fair, not giving out items, abusing powers, breaking any rules users follow.
As a staff member every gm is representing the server, one flaw, and it's a nick in the server's reputation.

MilkyChan

in my opinion a "good" gm needs the following:

*calm nature
*stress/anger tolerance
*loyalty
*knowlage of the game, and of the posision they have(like scripters can script)
*realy good social skills

if a gm misses out on any of this.... they will be either corrupt, or will scare your players away

I got cookies...do you?

Quote from: MilkyChan on Mar 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
in my opinion a "good" gm needs the following:

*calm nature
*stress/anger tolerance
*loyalty
*knowlage of the game, and of the posision they have(like scripters can script)
*realy good social skills

if a gm misses out on any of this.... they will be either corrupt, or will scare your players away

xD so true..... but there are a lot of servers that start off with maybe one good GM and when the others get fired they're forced to resorting to hiring like 12 random crapy GM's just because there so stressed

Zinron

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
xD so true..... but there are a lot of servers that start off with maybe one good GM and when the others get fired they're forced to resorting to hiring like 12 random crapy GM's just because there so stressed

Way to describe eternity.

I really wonder why I still see it on many servers that hire GM's for specific jobs and only that job. such a bot hunting GM not offering any kind of support or an event GM doing the same. (yeah I got the pleasure of experiencing a server where I needed support from a GM, only the event was online and got "sorry i dont do support i only do event")

Quote from: Zinron on Mar 20, 2008, 03:48 PM

oh shoot >.< sorry i really didn't mean to do that Dx i guess it kinda just came to mind while i was posting that....

I really wonder why I still see it on many servers that hire GM's for specific jobs and only that job. such a bot hunting GM not offering any kind of support or an event GM doing the same. (yeah I got the pleasure of experiencing a server where I needed support from a GM, only the event was online and got "sorry i dont do support i only do event")
well usually i find this a good thing.... to some extent
cause imo all GM's should do public support and their specific job as well

MilkyChan

my current server has a staff of 3 of wich scripter/game master/admin(me)

but every gm has the extra function of support gm
and and gamesmaster has the fuction of bot hunter/support/rule enforcer

then again i run on low population so what do i know right? :3
I got cookies...do you?

Pow

Quote from: MilkyChan on Mar 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
my current server has a staff of 3 of wich scripter/game master/admin(me)

but every gm has the extra function of support gm
and and gamesmaster has the fuction of bot hunter/support/rule enforcer

then again i run on low population so what do i know right? :3

Actually, you could know alot more than anybody else here. For the simple fact that is it is harder to impress a small audience than it is a large one. Why?

Lets say you have a population of 200 - and 100 of them are from the same ethnic background, nationality etc. Now, for the sake of things, lets just say that they are all Icelandic.. If 20 out of the 100 Icelandic people AGREE with you on something, they have the pulling power to convince the other people. Now that's HALF of your server in agreement, and the other half not. Now since the other half are "Minority" groups, when faced with the Icelandic people - most of the time they wont speak up.

If you have a small population, even making 1 wrong choice to 1 person can start a landslide of hate etc.

That's just my opinion though.
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 20, 2008, 03:36 PM

Actually having assigned duties are a wonderful thing, else you will get MANY staff conflictions.

If I had a dime for how many times an admin/developer stuck their nose into a matter they had no experience/knowledge in... I'd be a millionaire.  Truth be told, admins/developers are not really GMs they are admin/developers... and the two roles are and should be entirely different and should be separate to avoid drama and confliction.

When an admin is trying to take on every role of the server, what is the first thing that usually happens?  The admin gets stressed, the work piles up, no updates, the admin quits, no server or a new admin in his/her place that will ruin the server.  Seen it a dozen times...

Hiring a Co-Owner/GM Monitor who has the assigned job is rule advocacy and basic GMing to hire other GMs that do the same is best for a server.

To many times have I seen admins/developers try to please everybody, even the rule violators... but when rules are considered, there is always going to be someone that is unpleased with being punished/not getting punished or unpleased with even the most logical rules.

Tears of Blood

It depends on what position I want said GM for.

Scripters: I don't care, they just have to be able to script and not be obnoxious to players.

Event GM: Outgoing, online a lot, fun, lenient. They have to know when to crack the whip, though.

Patrol GM/Enforcer: Same as Event GM, but they have to be observant and intelligent.

Of course, all GMs would have to be somewhat articulate. Not to a point where they're boring, but they have to be intelligent people. I won't have morons running my server with me.

Scars

If they're sexy or beautiful! Lol jk.

I think for me its all about,

-Likeable
-Strictness
-How active they are
-Creativity
-How they treat people (Snobbish GM sometimes is needed)
-Trustable
-Loyalty

Helrouis

Quote from: Scars on Jun 17, 2008, 03:10 AM
If they're sexy or beautiful! Lol jk.

Hey, we had the same criteria! drools~

I'm looking for a GM who's friendly/knows how to manage the server/knows how to handle players.

Flightlevel

I look for skill, trust, manner and easy to be accepted within the community.  ;D

DragonHero

Quote from: AxeGunner on Jul 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
What exactly do you look for when you describe a good GM to someone?  Does he do events all the time?  Does he spontaneously spout random jokes?

Also, what about sub-GMs as well.

I'd just like to get different opinions from other people.

The undersigned,
   Axe

Loyalty.. Honesty.. and has his own personality.

I as a gm on my server am evil. When i host an event i make a bunch of weak monsters appear. then spawn 1 mvp in 5 random areas... To watch players die or run around like headless chickens because they are trying to ditch the mvp. Bwahaha!
Come and play RuthlessRO! Its my new server! And i am trying to make it fun! To find my server just click the link under the image below!

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=4347&url_sname=RuthlessRO

Mewi

Quote from: Tears of Blood on Apr 22, 2008, 08:40 PM
It depends on what position I want said GM for.

Scripters: I don't care, they just have to be able to script and not be obnoxious to players.

Event GM: Outgoing, online a lot, fun, lenient. They have to know when to crack the whip, though.

Patrol GM/Enforcer: Same as Event GM, but they have to be observant and intelligent.

Of course, all GMs would have to be somewhat articulate. Not to a point where they're boring, but they have to be intelligent people. I won't have morons running my server with me.

You should definitely differ Event GM and Rule Enforcer... Both jobs have their own specific goals.  Since the Event GM is there to Please Everyone, and you give the Event GM to much power, they usually end up going corrupt due to that need to "Please Everyone"

I've seen it many upon many times ;o