VPS Hosts?

Started by Chacola, Sep 06, 2011, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chacola

Good day,

I figured i'd put this in the Game Master's Section, since honestly I'd prefer to have the Admins/GMs of current servers give me some good replies.

I'm looking for a good VPS, it does NOT have to have RO support since those seem kinda bleh anyways.  Some people had suggested the following to me

SIP
Dreamhost
Godaddy

I was curious, if anyone uses these, how stable are they?  Or if you don't use these, what do you use?  What do you recommend NOT using? 

I'll be pokin in an out of this thread while I look up some more VPS.  Also I'm sorry if a topic like this already exists I tried typing some stuff in the search but I got a lot of reviews and rants / raves from other servers.

Thanks in Advance!

yC

Yes indeed I answered this here >> http://forum.ratemyserver.net/paid-services/looking-for-a-vps-host/msg135293/#msg135293 if you want to take a look for the link to WHT.

SIP -- Never used, ask those that used around here.

Dreamhost -- They are more known to be a webhost not a VPS host.  As far as I know they have VPS and dedi services so that they can tell their high-usage webhost customers to upgrade to VPS and charge them more because they use more resources.  I don't know how they'll let you run your mysql database (on a central mysql server or within the vps), I have a webhost account with Dreamhost for years and all I can say is don't put important website on there lol.  Their shared mysql server is super slow so I won't put anything that need to use a database on there, just use them to host files etc is fine.  Web server could go down or become super slow from time to time.  That's for their web hosting, really don't know about their VPS.  Support is usually responsive. 

Godaddy -- never used, don't like this brand but that's just me.  They are more into web hosting than VPS too.  Everyone mention Godaddy is either for domain or web hosting.  Godaddy VPS starts at 30$~, don't think you should play this much.

Chacola

Thank you yC, I'm so sorry I over looked that!  I'll take a look at it now, thank you for responding.

Eurydice

SIP - They're fast and reliable. They respond to tickets quickly and they're very knowledgeable. (Based on my experience.) Only problem I had is when I needed PCRE for my server and it won't let me update it, I had to contact them to install it for me. I'll give them a 5/5 over all.

GoDaddy - I really had a hard time managing my files for my website, and their control panel interface is very confusing and hard when I was new. Their web hosting packages are cheap but I won't really recommend them to anyone.

I switched to FastDomain, they're reliable but a bit spendy, since I think they don't have 3-month packages. But it's really easy to use and setup. Never had problems using it. They have unlimited SQL databases and email accounts. But if you want a dedicated IP [to open ports(for fluxCP), etc.] you'll have to pay $30.

Chacola

Quote from: Eurydice on Sep 07, 2011, 11:36 AM
SIP - They're fast and reliable. They respond to tickets quickly and they're very knowledgeable. (Based on my experience.) Only problem I had is when I needed PCRE for my server and it won't let me update it, I had to contact them to install it for me. I'll give them a 5/5 over all.

GoDaddy - I really had a hard time managing my files for my website, and their control panel interface is very confusing and hard when I was new. Their web hosting packages are cheap but I won't really recommend them to anyone.

I switched to FastDomain, they're reliable but a bit spendy, since I think they don't have 3-month packages. But it's really easy to use and setup. Never had problems using it. They have unlimited SQL databases and email accounts. But if you want a dedicated IP [to open ports(for fluxCP), etc.] you'll have to pay $30.

FastDomain, I use them for my web hosting, I bought the year plan.  Do you mean they have VPS hosting, for an RO server?  Cause I don't see that anywhere on Fast Domain, or Maybe i'm super duper blind D:  I might try out SIP for a month or so.  I'm still pokin around at some people I've known who have ran servers before.  As for Godaddy it seems like no one knows how they are, on their vps hosts.  So that is most likely a no.  I don't mind spending 30 dollars a month, it seems like most vps [ that are half decent ] seem to be that much, I just want the most for my dollar, which I'm sure everyone is like that lol.

:) Thanks for the feedback so far.  Its very much appreciated.

Eurydice

FastDomain for a webhost. :P They don't have VPS hosting afaik.

Chacola

Thank you for that jTynne, I will definitely check them out! 

Ecstasy

SIPs generally good and what I like the most about them is that they're quick and reliable on getting back on support tickets. However there's really something off about their service recently and its causing a lot lags.

ragnazorg

SIP offers VPS and they're really good. They reply to tickets asap! So I can recommend SIP.

As for Fastdomain and Godaddy,

I'm using them both for my webhosts since i have more than 2 domains. Pretty reliable and well I can say FD's support is really good esp that LIVE CHAT help system they have plus its cheap. Same goes with godaddy although they don'[t have live support.

BooBooKitty

You could try http://24khost.com/  So far I've been satisfied with their plans/pricing and customer support. 

Aurora™

To be honest, I've never really had a good experience with SIP, but that's always seemed to have just been me in general, though I have seen several negative reviews still. From what I hear, they've been laggy over the past few months.

I don't care what people say about Frantech, it has definitely gone down hill in my opinion. They still advertise their out-dated Ragnarok services, and don't use the same stock for their original website anymore, but instead cheaper VPSs on a completely different website with less than average specs.

As for godaddy and Dreamhost, as yC mentioned, they're more known for their web hosting. Dreamhost's VPS, in the past, was laggy for me.

If you don't mind using overseas hosts, I would go with that, as most players now-a-days are either from Europe, the U.K. or elsewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere that isn't the U.S. The host I'm currently using is called BiBihost, which was recommended to me by the owner of our server. It's Italian based, but the dedicated server we use is located in France. In my experience, depending on where you're located in the U.S., they don't lag and overseas hosts are generally better anyways. I'm paying $149 p/m for 16 gigs and 10 TB bandwith.

As far as I can see, though, most people use generally non-RO supportive hosts, as most of the big names, as I said, such as Frantech and SIP have gone fairly decently down hill.