Moderators and "Off Topic" discussion

Started by Mewi, Mar 07, 2009, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mewi

This is regarding what should be an acceptable place for a moderator to step into a thread and start telling people to get back on topic.  Questions will be followed, please answer them.

Scenario 1:Creator of the Thread has engaged in a debate/argument ( no flaming ) that slightly went off track to their original topic.

Should a moderator intervene?  Or is it up to the creator of the thread to say which direction their thread goes into?

Scenario 2: Creator of thread requests that people get back on topic but they do not.

Should a moderator intervene? or should the moderator just allow it to continue?

Scenario 3: One player is flaming other players, and other players are jumping to the defense. 

Should the thread be locked or the flaming players posts be deleted?

Scenario 4: Players are disagreeing with eachother, making good points on both sides, but the moderator is fearful that it might lead to flaming.

Should the moderator intervene with warnings/thread be locked as a preventative measure?

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Cielte

QuoteScenario 1:Creator of the Thread has engaged in a debate/argument ( no flaming ) that slightly went off track to their original topic.

Should a moderator intervene?  Or is it up to the creator of the thread to say which direction their thread goes into?

No, and yes(somewhat).
-

QuoteScenario 2: Creator of thread requests that people get back on topic but they do not.

Should a moderator intervene? or should the moderator just allow it to continue?

Depends on how many times TC requested, or how the reaction is.
-

QuoteScenario 3: One player is flaming other players, and other players are jumping to the defense. 

Flaming posts deleted(This slightly reminds me of someone)
-

QuoteScenario 4: Players are disagreeing with eachother, making good points on both sides, but the moderator is fearful that it might lead to flaming.

Should the moderator intervene with warnings/thread be locked as a preventative measure?

Not until the flames burst.

Quote from: Mewi on Mar 07, 2009, 04:41 PM
Scenario 1:Creator of the Thread has engaged in a debate/argument ( no flaming ) that slightly went off track to their original topic.

a simple "could you please get back on track" would probably work

Scenario 2: Creator of thread requests that people get back on topic but they do not.

mostly yes, the mod should probably do something..... unless the topic starters being a hypocrite XD

Scenario 3: One player is flaming other players, and other players are jumping to the defense. 

depends how many stupid flames there are =3

Scenario 4: Players are disagreeing with eachother, making good points on both sides, but the moderator is fearful that it might lead to flaming.

x3 leave it until something bad happens

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 07, 2009, 07:01 PM

And if the creator refuses to go in the direction you say?  Then what?

xD then take action when it goes too far off topic

Descent

If I'm 3J, I'll just delete the off-topic posts and then threaten Warns.

Then I'll make an off-topic post, myself.

If I'm Pow, I'll just close the thread whilst banging my head on the desk repeatedly trying to make the hurting stop.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

The whole "stay on topic" rule was always pointless, let the topic flow and change as long as it doesn't become gibberish.

Pow

Depends on how 'off track' it is. I mean, if they are, for instance, discussing why one skill should be 'nerfed' and another skill comes into context - then that itself is off track, but it still is on topic.. If that makes sense..

I figure, if the content still relates to the original topic, it's fine.

Posting is a privilege, not a right. If the creator of the thread cannot 'see' it going back to it's original purpose, then just leave the topic to die. Most off topic discussion is bought on by the fact that people wish it to cease.

To the defence of what? Themselves? I'd let it go. If they are jumping to the defence of others - then there is no reason for it to continue, since it will just result in one massive cross firing mess.. Junk that s***, now.

If the players are mature enough to have not started a flame war by this stage, then they are mature enough to continue the discussion in a manner which is 'acceptable'. I'd just let it go and let them have a bit of le-way.. Don't want to be too much of a Nazi now, do we?

If all else fails;

Quote from: Descent on Mar 07, 2009, 09:29 PM
If I'm Pow, I'll just close the thread whilst banging my head on the desk repeatedly trying to make the hurting stop.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Littlechan

scenario 1, same answer with pow(-chan)

scenario 2, I'll try to say to them to get back to topic, otherwise, the topic must be locked

scenario 3, defense who? defense themselves? okay, but not by giving another insult, otherwise I'll lock it ~_~

scenario 4, I'll watch it, if it's become flaming area, locked. if not, well, isn't it good? ^^

scenario 5, wait, there's no scenario 5

xD

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Poki

QuoteScenario 1:Creator of the Thread has engaged in a debate/argument ( no flaming ) that slightly went off track to their original topic.
I'd close it.  I take the forums seriously.

QuoteScenario 2: Creator of thread requests that people get back on topic but they do not.
Send out everyone a second warning.  The first one came from the Topic Creator, the second one came from me.  I'd also delete some posts.

QuoteScenario 3: One player is flaming other players, and other players are jumping to the defense. 
Ban the player who started the flaming, warn the others who jumped in and defended each other by flaming back.  Anyone who defended themselves without having to flame is off the hook.  All posts that are off topic and irrelevant are deleted.

QuoteScenario 4: Players are disagreeing with eachother, making good points on both sides, but the moderator is fearful that it might lead to flaming.
I'm not fearful, I'm fearsome.

Aris

Scenario 1: same as pow. depends on how off topic it is or if it has any relevance to the original topic at all.

Scenario 2: Id warn them to get back on topic or risk closure of the thread.

Scenario 3: I would give the people in question punishment which on LRO, would be a warn level + temporary forum ban. No one is right here even if the other person was just defending himself. They could have easily reported it to a mod instead of flaming back.

Scenario 4: If the argument has no flaming atm, I wouldn't do anything other than remind them to keep it civil.

Mewi

I knew what JJJ was going to say from the very start of this thread.

Scenario 1:  The fact is,  I do not feel it appropriate to be intervening on player's conversations simply because it gets off topic.  I feel that it is important to allow things to play out ( as long as it remains respectful ) ,  intervening will only cause drama and it is an unnecessary use of moderation privileges. 

Moderators should be focusing on far more important things than people going "off topic".   Not only is it an unnecessary use powers, it is also dictation in my opinion and violates player's free speech rights and violates the authors of those thread's rights.   It also means that moderators are granted far to much power,  you cannot and should not try to tell someone what to talk about unless you are an author of the thread.   Author's should have full rights to control their topics as long as it stays respectful and not spammy.

/yawn so what was the point of asking? XD
just wanted to try and shoot me down? =P

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
/yawn so what was the point of asking? XD
just wanted to try and shoot me down? =P

To get other points of views ;p and no actually this had something to do with an official game and recently hired player "moderators" :O

lol a moderating style is a moderators alone
but when they are given rules as to how to enforce that moderation style they should (not all do /desp)

its just like how no server has exactly the same rules, but they are similar

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Mar 15, 2009, 03:04 PM
lol a moderating style is a moderators alone
but when they are given rules as to how to enforce that moderation style they should (not all do /desp)

its just like how no server has exactly the same rules, but they are similar

Well the game I had in mind was one where the Moderators go off on a tangent breaking the very rules they advocate, they do not allow arguments or disagreements,  should you continue a debate of arguments they will warn you lol...

Have a heated respectful argument = flaming to them =3