Impersonation Prevention

Started by asdfqwerty123, Sep 27, 2007, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdfqwerty123

Having problems with players trying to impersonate staff?

The easiest way to prevent this is really very simple.

Step 1:

Create an account with a descriptive login name "stopimpersonators", "nogmfraud", "nofakestaff"... add numbers 2,3,4,5... etc for multiple.

Step 2:

Think up all the possible ways to fake a GM name (including ililili-like names) that may be similar to current staff members.  Create dummy novices to act as name holders because if a character name exists then people can't use it.

Step 3:

Ban the accounts so that no one can log in as those character names.  Since it's not an IP ban, you can still play your regular account.  It doesn't matter which staff member does this because they will be locked accounts.

Step 4:

Repeat steps 1 through 3 when a new staff member is added.

Arcenciel

Wouldn't it be easier if all the GMs were wearing the official GM suit? To make this effective, players should know that real GMs have the official GM suit.

Arcenciel you make a good point but the problem with that is some ppl fake being GMs through PMing ppl

asdfqwerty123

I personally hate the GM suit because it's like a feminine robe dress.  I hate it.  I prefer using Monk because it has a hoodie type clothing, even though Champions are technically a higher ranking class.  Also, I have other staff members that are not "GameMasters", but are still part of the staff with titles such as "Intern", "Helper", "Mediator"... etc.  That can cause problems if people try to impersonate them to steal players' money, password, account, or otherwise.

SakuraX

Quote from: JJJ on Oct 22, 2007, 06:54 PM
Arcenciel you make a good point but the problem with that is some ppl fake being GMs through PMing ppl

well then i suppose ask/force the (fake) GM to teleport to you and PROVE he/she is a true GM (such as telling him/her to jail you and log you off)

Mewi

It's always a good idea to have various symbols disabled on your server.  Only stick to basic alpha numeric letters.  :p   

Also it is a good idea to make a rule stating that no party name, guild title, guild or charname can have the acronym "GM"  This will help prevent confusion and possible abuse.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Itakou

I disable all symbols or numbers for normal players and manually add (GM) to all my GM characters. I tell players to look for the brackets and imposter's can't mimic the name.

Itakou
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

asdfqwerty123

What typically happens is people don't want to consider the fact that some random novice with "GM" in front of their title is asking for their password, which is somewhat of a "duh" moment, but it's good to try taking up as many names as possible to reserve them from being used.

Ambrose Merle

best way I found to prvent these things is what Zairik said, and to make it so GMs all talk with a specific color. Plus, there are ways to script it so things like asteriks, or symbols appear next to the name of any speaking GM (personally witnessed this a few times). Although I don't know how, I'm pretty sure I could if I looked hard enough.

P.S. No there actual name didn't contain the symbols, nor could any regular name, THUS why the symbols were used.

Zone

Hmm... Zairik raising a good idea, but you can change a name alot more than it is worth making said characters and banning the accounts.
Personally, I am not a fan of the gm suits either, but our spriter is spriting custom gm uniforms, so they look a lot more different, also, that is also why their names, and text are in yellow.

Mamimi

I've never seen any problems with GM impersonation. x_x
Every server I've been on, they all speak in yellow text and wear GM suits.

Edit: Oh poop, is threadmancy allowed here? sorry :x

Mewi

Quote from: corpsechan on Aug 03, 2008, 05:13 AM
I've never seen any problems with GM impersonation. x_x
Every server I've been on, they all speak in yellow text and wear GM suits.

Edit: Oh poop, is threadmancy allowed here? sorry :x

X3  Threadmancer! :O  The reason why you've probably never seen it is.... Because they get banned fast >:3

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

~~T~~

It really doesn't matter to me, if they really want to do it there is very little that can be done agaisn't it.
The fact is that if someone is impersonating your staff, there must be a reason, nobody do something for no reason. Most players will threat you as you threat them, if you talk like you were god and disrespectful with everyone, they will react the same way with you.
Although, some people don't have any reason to do it so, or very little reason, those that wants just to see the people angry or sad(AKA Agent of Chaos), so yea, those you have to IP ban or simply ignore if he found a good way to be unbanned.
(Why would a clown act if there is no one seem to care about him, he'll just bore out and stop.)

But if you're really being abused a lot of times, Zairick option is really the best, but I wouldn't ever do it, Too much working ( I'm lazy, sue me).

Auroraâ„¢

Well, the only problem with this step-by-step prevention is that a lot of people can think of ways to get around it. I see people thinking up new ways to evade systems daily.

Aside from that, I think it's a nice idea. But, beside the point, a good idea for rules is "GMs will never ask you for account information, for items, zeny." stuff like that. If players read the rules, they'll know not to trust people who do that. Plus, it's just common sense, in my opinion. x_x; Every time that's happened to me, I've asked them to prove they were a GM, and always gave excuses like "This is a secret character," rofl.

» Coming Soon! «