GM Compensation?

Started by morishka, Jul 06, 2007, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flip

People are generally against this; when money starts going into priv RO servers, it starts suspicion really.

So if anything, it really IS up to the owner. As long as he/she explains and illustrates the the donation money IS going to the server one way or another, then everything works out.

PerfectDeath

If you are a good GM the players will compensate you by being nice to you. =D

If you are a bad GM, they will make your job living hell! D=<

SakuraX

let us be reminded, GM was officially HIRED in real life to keep the game in company; therefore, it would be hard for private servers (especially volunteered forces) to have a "clean" community

Mewi

Having such a system would be the first step towards corruption.   But why you say?  Firstly the more the GM needs something on their 'legit' the more they will try to make up things to do.  This is clearly a conflict of interest seeing as how GMs are there only to receive the satisfaction of a well ran server.

As for their 'legit' chars,  the moment there is a GM interaction with such chars, is the moment the server can be defined as corrupt.  This will also bring up a huge issue in the server's community.  Rumors will be intensified beyond what would be normal.  The more powerful the GMs 'legit' char, the more the community suspects something is up.  You can go out of your way and try to make all information available to the public, but the end result will be the same ( Corruption ).

The only interest of a GM should be is to help players and to have a well ran server with a wonderful community.

I would however not be against some form of paycheck if the GM is doing their job as full or part time as GMs do on other servers.  But either way corruption can come from anywhere,  its nearly impossible to avoid.  But easy to stop if you are an admin.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Omg Onoes

why should you expect any compensation on top of the powers you already received? i mean, most likely it's not like they're begging you to gm their server, you probably wanted to be one, and i'm sure most of you have heard that: power comes with responsibility, so if you want to keep the power, then keep up with the responsibility as a gm too, because if not, plenty of other people will gladly take over your spot.
Your signature has been reported and removed for peacefulness of this forum.

hmmmm GM compensation hmmm
isn't helping the ppl enough of a reward

but really i think its a bad idea giving ppl power then on top of that giving them a reward it just seems to scream accusations of corruption

asdfqwerty123

Consider this:
1 - Should the money go to benefit the server and its players through supporting the server with hosting and advertising?
2 - Should the money go to a volunteer GM who already gets rewarded with items, status, and power in-game?

I think it's pretty obvious.  Servers should be more concerned about keeping players flowing in rather than paying volunteer staff, which itself comes along with a lot of headache and concerns of corruption.  The misappropriation of funds is enough to kill a server.

Bad bad bad idea.

Ambrose Merle

Moderators work under one of two conditions. Pay, or free. Your mods signed up for free, so they work for free. Pay only comes with cash, giving their legits items just in turn messes thigns up in game. I recommend sticking with the traditional methods of moderating. Besides, if you lose a GM, it's FULLY possible to get a brand new one within a week. Believe me. I had to fire 5 and got 10!!

Pandora

Quote from: Zairik on Dec 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
2 - Should the money go to a volunteer GM who already gets rewarded with items, status, and power in-game?
Your GM gets items?! I don't think they should.. As for "status and power", Powertrip GM tend to drive players away XD

All donation should obviously go to the server fist and foremost. Leftovers is a grey zone I guess.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Inanna

I myself would NOT be comfortable with getting compensation in game, or out of it, but that's because I offered my help for free. Because I wanted to help my server and because I love the people on it. That's just me...

It also throws off the natural balance of the game, and screws with the economy. :/ On top of that, it's not really fair to the regular users.

I can understand giving a paycheck to a GM, for the work they're doing if there's money left over, or it's coming out of the admins pocket. To a certain extent, I can see how it could work but... honestly, I feel more comfortable knowing the people working on the server are there because they want to be. Not because they're paid to be.

Support GM/Moderator at Paper RO.
We have awesome events coming up! :)

MrrgleCaek

uh...actual GMs wouldn't ask for compensation in the first place...they'd do their, y'know, job? o_o
Compensation ruins game mechanics, a handful of players get "under the counter" source of items while the majority don't? Oh well, it's the owners server after all, they're entitled to do whatever they want with it after all...

Ambrose Merle

Once again, I'm off today and just dinkin around so I thought I'd plop in my comment. I agree with Inanna (once again), and mrrglecaek as much as I hate to admit it e_O; Moderators that play on a game rarely get payed and there is a reason. Good moderators can be found, and most don't want, nor ask for pay. I was deemed a high quality moderator suprisingly by the staff and many of the players, but I never got payed a thin penny even. I wouldn't feel right taking the money, and although I could use it, I also feel the money could be better used to improve the servers in the first place, like paying for hosting, or launching another branch of it with different stats so as to attract another field of players. Well, Merry Christmas once again and thanks for the opinions, ya'll :P

Mewi

Quote from: Ambrose Merle on Dec 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
Once again, I'm off today and just dinkin around so I thought I'd plop in my comment. I agree with Inanna (once again), and mrrglecaek as much as I hate to admit it e_O; Moderators that play on a game rarely get payed and there is a reason. Good moderators can be found, and most don't want, nor ask for pay. I was deemed a high quality moderator suprisingly by the staff and many of the players, but I never got payed a thin penny even. I wouldn't feel right taking the money, and although I could use it, I also feel the money could be better used to improve the servers in the first place, like paying for hosting, or launching another branch of it with different stats so as to attract another field of players. Well, Merry Christmas once again and thanks for the opinions, ya'll :P

Trust me that will change after say the 10th GM job...  Once you spend like 3-5 hours a day dealing with bans, drama and technical support...  The GMing becomes a bit to much to be something that is done for free...   If you are good enough, and you show high signs of professionalism then I do not see a problem with asking for a fee for the hard work done.  This is only in reference to money, not RO items.  RO items as a fee is wrong... absolutely wrong -.- and will ALWAYS lead to corruption.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Zone

Really, if that were the case, I could make a new character one day as a legit and completely gear it after testing gears on my gm character, being that I would know exactly what to get, and that I am overly active as a gm.

This system would not work.

asdfqwerty123

Quote from: Pandora on Dec 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
Quote from: Zairik on Dec 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
Your GM gets items?! I don't think they should.. As for "status and power", Powertrip GM tend to drive players away XD

All donation should obviously go to the server fist and foremost. Leftovers is a grey zone I guess.

Our server doesn't allow GM's to participate in the Events so it's quite impossible for them to ever gain Event Prize Tickets or specialized items.  Rarely, a few items are given to those who work the hardest.  "Status and power" come with being a GM, it's not like you can separate them.  If they had no power different than a normal player then what makes them a GM...?  And "power" doesn't mean corrupt, it just means responsibility to the players to do your job effectively with respect.  "Power" isn't a bad word, it's just more often times than not associated with people who would abuse it.  No one talks about how good a GM does their job, only when something bad happens do people talk.

Getting back on subject, servers themselves are typically quite unstable and nearly 70%+ fail within the first week or two anymore.  It's simply not sane to pay unskilled total strangers to play a game, and that's the reality of it.  Don't pay volunteer gamers to play a server that has less than 10,000 people online average.