Friendliness level of the staff is the best criteria for server success

Started by Helrouis, Jun 14, 2008, 07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My question corresponds to a "newly launched server" - Do you agree or Not?

Agreed, friendliness of GMs does matter a LOT
No, as long as they're good on implementing features, it's good.

Helrouis

These are IMHO:
Staff A:
The staff decided to make their own server.They're good in everything about implementing custom stuffs on the server/ as well as nice features. However they're a bunch of big mouthed intelligent freaks. Well, ok here - So they set the server online, and made standard old style advertisements. And in the long run he doesn't do too much events but they make their auto event systems which can be good. Of course, players who visit their server can still be possbily get pleased.

Staff B:
They belong to a big social network of Ragnarok Online players. And they just know how to setup the default RO with no bugs, and get antibot script from eA. They know basic scripting, and just know on how to install scripts from eAthena. They used to play RO with their friends, and okay, they started off a server with 20+ players instantly.

Q: Whose server for you will last longer - and have many players?

Loki

It all comes down to the players itself though. But IMO, I would rather the server be up-to-date and have lots of features. There are still events and as long as the GMs and Admin do their job(bot-hunt, catching rule-breakers, etc). So, I'll vote for Staff A.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Helrouis

Quote from: Loki on Jun 14, 2008, 08:13 AM
It all comes down to the players itself though. But IMO, I would rather the server be up-to-date and have lots of features. There are still events and as long as the GMs and Admin do their job(bot-hunt, catching rule-breakers, etc). So, I'll vote for Staff A.
I got your point. True, but usually, servers like www.myro.tk totally have a lot of players. But their system ain't that much compared to others.

i think you need a mix of personalities of GM's for a server to run well

you need some GM's to be nice and relate with the ppl, but at the same time you need intelligent GM's to know how to make things and etc, and so on and so on

all servers need a good combination of GM's

Helrouis

Quote from: JJJ on Jun 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
i think you need a mix of personalities of GM's for a server to run well

you need some GM's to be nice and relate with the ppl, but at the same time you need intelligent GM's to know how to make things and etc, and so on and so on

all servers need a good combination of GM's
True but nowadays, some poor servers like mine is run by one or two persons. And technically I'm not good at scripts. So both criteria can barely be achieved. Mostly, in the recruiting section, you would get to hire defective people.

Thorin

I'd pick Staff A, only because it seems with Staff B that alot less would get done if they only understand basic scripting. I'd choose proffessionals over friendly GMs everytime. It's a good thing there are plenty of servers wih both professional and friendly GMs.

Helrouis

Quote from: GM Thorin on Jun 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'd pick Staff A, only because it seems with Staff B that alot less would get done if they only understand basic scripting. I'd choose proffessionals over friendly GMs everytime. It's a good thing there are plenty of servers wih both professional and friendly GMs.
Even a group of intellectual admins who just launched their RO -> 0~20 players because of the competition.

Thorin

If they were that smart and expierenced they'd probably start with over 50 though i see what you mean.Sadly, most server have around 20 players due to competing servers and the overall lack of players.

Helrouis

Quote from: GM Thorin on Jun 15, 2008, 08:43 PM
If they were that smart and expierenced they'd probably start with over 50 though i see what you mean.Sadly, most server have around 20 players due to competing servers and the overall lack of players.
Yeap. No matter how great they are, as long as the competition is big/especially it's insanely hard to convince players who are loyal already to the other server, they really can get only a few - and soon would just die.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

All that friendliness talk in advertising is s***, not to mention absolutely pointless.

GMs there are to enforce rules, period. They are not supposed to be your friends. As long as they do their job fairly, I don't care. If anything, having "intellectual" GMs is better because friendly GMs may play favourities.

Loki

Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Jun 16, 2008, 12:59 AM
All that friendliness talk in advertising is s***, not to mention absolutely pointless.

GMs there are to enforce rules, period. They are not supposed to be your friends. As long as they do their job fairly, I don't care. If anything, having "intellectual" GMs is better because friendly GMs may play favourities.

Agreed but most players are too soft so a polite GM would be a good way to raise the player database.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Ansuz Isaz

I don't need nice GMs, so much as those who don't have a stick up their donkey and an ego that makes themselves believe their gods. xD If I feel that they aren't a bunch of corrupt bastards, I'm fine with them not being the nicest bunch in the world.

Then again, most of the people who post a lot here in RMS seem to be those who've played long enough to know what is and isn't needed in a server. =P So, most of us will support an effective and intelligent staff over a kind one, if we had to choose between the too. Sadly, the kind ones are bound to be the ones who keep the players.

All the same, the kind ones will not be able to have the set-up needed to attract them in to begin with, so they'll have less chance of gaining a player base. n_n; I have to say, in the long run, that the competent staff will always be more effective than the gentle ones.

Helrouis

Quote from: Ansuz Isaz on Jun 16, 2008, 01:18 AM
I don't need nice GMs, so much as those who don't have a stick up their donkey and an ego that makes themselves believe their gods. xD If I feel that they aren't a bunch of corrupt bastards, I'm fine with them not being the nicest bunch in the world.

Then again, most of the people who post a lot here in RMS seem to be those who've played long enough to know what is and isn't needed in a server. =P So, most of us will support an effective and intelligent staff over a kind one, if we had to choose between the too. Sadly, the kind ones are bound to be the ones who keep the players.

All the same, the kind ones will not be able to have the set-up needed to attract them in to begin with, so they'll have less chance of gaining a player base. n_n; I have to say, in the long run, that the competent staff will always be more effective than the gentle ones.
Aye, we would be more into the intelligent staff because we know what's good in a server and not. But the real thing that is happening? the less intellectual GMs who are good in recruitment and stuffs, really has a lot of players. As the Staff A point of view, I would zomfg, why do they have more players than me, when my server is totally better than their server!

Perhaps Staff B is a superstar that the mass adores, that's why they play his/her server lol. Or for example, staff B made an RO named, AnimaRO, that would just simply trigger the old animaRO players to be curious about it.