Are GMs still GMs beyond forums and in-game chats? Including Forum Moderators.

Started by Yukino, Mar 21, 2012, 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukino

As probably all would say, GMs/Forum Moderators have to act accordingly and professionally in-game and on server forums/chatboxes/ventrilo/IRC/TeamSpeak/etc that is a public representation of the server.

However, what would you consider beyond all of that? Does a GM/Forum Moderator still have to talk professionally and not share strong, personal, emotional feelings with fellow players and other people on other ways of communication such as MsN, emails, private ventrilo servers (of the GMs and such), and the like?

Furthermore, should such proofs be used in proving the bad behaviour, etc of the staff member (another question)?

What do you all think?
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Rhaeselon

Quoteprivate ventrilo servers (of the GMs and such)

Unless you actually put the vent info up for everyone on the server to use, absolutely not.

Yukino

Yep, I agree that it depends on the context of the situation when it comes to communication outside of server forums, in-game, etc.

I would also say that the proofs will probably not be suitable in proving anything except for learning more about the staff member on a personal understanding. Personal view.

What do the others think?

Chemical Crush

I would look at it like this.  They are more than entitled to their own opinion towards players, but should it be shared with other players? 
I don't know.  I guess it depends.  But if speak ill of certain players wouldn't that make the other GM's/Admins think you would be biased?  ( I have no idea if I spelled that correctly.) But I suppose if they can hold their professionalism on the forums and ingame it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I still think they should keep their opinions to themselves about other players.  Lets say that GM x Hated player 123.  GM X ranted to Player 456 about Player 123.  Player 456 screen shots the conversation or logs it through some kinda voice thing and shows player 123.  Player 123 is most likely going to quit because they may feel that the GM/Forum Moderator is going to be biased towards them.  They could even rant about it on the forums, show the proof and make the Forum Moderator / GM look bad.  Therefor possibly making the server look bad.

It could have many outcomes but no one really knows.  Hence why I think they should just keep their opinion to themselves unless asked by the Admin how they feel about x player.  And possibly should put it in a professional way.  Not saying 'I freakin hate that b**** shes a stupid bimbo blah blah blah'  You could simply state ' I highly dislike her attitude towards GMs and she trolls the forums often, so no, I do not appreciate this player much '

Anyways, I could probably write a lot about this but yeah >>

Triper

Being professional is an hardcore job so yep, they've to be careful about what they say in public about their thoughts.
Ninjas are everywhere and they can "kill" you!

D1gITaLMaYhEm

Quote from: Triper on Mar 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Being professional is an hardcore job so yep, they've to be careful about what they say in public about their thoughts.
Ninjas are everywhere and they can "kill" you!

I Disagree

What professional means:
1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.

2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.

3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.

4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.

5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.

6. Participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavour often engaged in by amateurs b : having a particular profession as a permanent career c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return[6]

7. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.

8. A professional is an expert who is master in a specific field.

Nobody is perfect and nobody can be expected to  be a cold heartless professionalism machine 24/7 it's ok to relax and have a good time with your friends aslong as it A: Dosn't conflict with your current job B: is done behind closed doors.

Triper

D1gITaLMaYhEm

^ Yeah sorry i started typing it out and then i decided to go in a whole diffrent direction and forgot to remove the i disagree/quote my bad.

Mewi

In my opinion, GMs shouldn't be seen or heard, unless for support issues,  or the occasional event ( and most servers have WAY TO MANY )

As a player and a GM, I don't want to see GMs around at all,  I want them to be invisible and non existent.  This helps avoid power tripping, "wanting to be popular" etc.  I also don't want players to know if the GMs play the game, or know who the GMs legit is.   That last part might contradict my past statements on GMs and legits but I could be wrong,  my opinions may have changed on that part.

So to answer the question, an ego tripping rude admin is definitely corrupt.  Because anyone who lacks that much respect for someone else, is DEFINITELY abusing power.  Remember they are in a position of power to begin,  insulting a player or acting completely inappropriate, makes players either like or hate them.  If a player is a victim,  other players could join the corrupt admin/gm into helping him/her harass that player.

I've seen it often.

so yes professional at all times.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Eshua

Seeing as this partially came up due to Nemain. It depends on how it happened. For example Immy clearly used to bash a few people and "not get caught" her vent info was given to us cause she was going on about it for some time. Its obviously going to piss people and like in that screen start to cross the line into becoming personal. So yes, in most all cases they should be.

Yukino

Just wanted to know people's inputs because several other threads had proofs beyond just server forums, vent, and in-game chats XD!

So, if they are to be professional, should they avoid forming close friendships in case of people degrading them about biasm (another question)? How close should staff members be to players generally?

Chemical Crush

Quote from: Yukino on Mar 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
Just wanted to know people's inputs because several other threads had proofs beyond just server forums, vent, and in-game chats XD!

So, if they are to be professional, should they avoid forming close friendships in case of people degrading them about biasm (another question)? How close should staff members be to players generally?

This is hard sometimes, some GMs just come off as friendly and end up forming friendships with players.  Is it smart?  Maybe not, when you form friendships you're more inclined to be swayed to side with the player or be friendlier towards the player ect ect.  Thats just how things work sometimes.  But I don't think you should be totally neglectful.  I mean yes, be ingame for support @request thingies and all that jazz.  To be honest, I have quite a few Server Admins on my msn list that i've formed 'friendships' with over their server.  But rarely did we talk about server stuff, to be honest with you.

I can't say thats the same for all situations. 

Point is

Its smart to stay far from player / Admin/GM relationships beyond support and whatnot, if you REALLY wanna watch your back about biasednessness and all that stuff.

But it happens, its the internet, we're bound to chat up people who are interesting to talk to.

Triper

Business is business, friends are friends. Make a line or expect drama from it ;o

D1gITaLMaYhEm

Quote from: Yukino on Mar 21, 2012, 09:25 PM

The optimal staffmember is someone who can form a close bond of respect/friendship with the players whilst still giving an impartial view on all server situations, someone who can tell someone off for doing something wrong and still get them to have that level of respect/friendship afterwards should be the only GM's interacting with the public beyond just support situations.

I agree that GM legits should never be revealed to a player just to avoid accusations of corruption when a frustrated player get's owned in pvp.

P.S
There is always going to be that certain guild/player that has a massive problem with authority so drama is inevitable it's best to find such individuals who are going to cause problems before they actually do, and then have a talk with them about server rules regulations ect and if they are going to be difficult then you have no other option but to remove them for your players sake.
(However all players should have the freedom to express there views/opionons aslong as it is not offensive or conflicts with the ToS that you have for your server)

blackgh05t

GMs shouldn't be seen or heard from unless there's a problem. They act on behalf of the server and their words & actions should be interpreted as such.

If you're stupid enough to let things leak out, you deserve the drama.
eos
Est. 2008

Neblim

Quote from: D1gITaLMaYhEm on Mar 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
... it's best to find such individuals who are going to cause problems before they actually do ...

I wish there was a way to get such miracles done. So many problematic situations would have been averted.

Quote from: blackgh05t on Mar 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
GMs shouldn't be seen or heard from unless there's a problem. They act on behalf of the server and their words & actions should be interpreted as such.

Completely agree with this. Personally, as a player, a game doesn't feel like a game if I see members of the staff with their flashy headgears running/sitting in the main town all the time, often engaging in completely out of the server conversations. I believe there can be roughly two types of staff:

1) Friendly and close staff that may feel better for the older members of the community as they can establish bonds with the authorities. As a result, however, new players may feel themselves distant upon joining the game and often drama is followed in various forms - inside the staff and between the players and staff.

2) "Distant" and professional staff. I'm not saying that #1 type cannot be professional, but from experience I feel this is the more appropriate way to work. Players should be left with each other in order to play the game unless there's a problem that needs staff assistance. Staff should stay invisible. Always. PMs, support tickets, emails, forums... are invented.

These are my few thoughts.

DavionFuxa

Whenever your in your 'GM', or whenever people know that you are the 'GM', you should not be conversing with players about other players; at least, for those who are still allowed to play.

A GM should probably not do it outside of his GM persona either as if they are found out to be a GM then drama can unfold quite easily; though it is possible to do so and not get caught.

Smoke

I'd always prefer to talk to a human as a human but its blatant in an online environment some people think that if you are "friends" with a GM you're more "special" than the others. This could result in the ones feeling less "special" breathing fire on staff.

Peach

That is the exact reason why I don't give out my personal information(MSN, Skype, etc..) to players while I'm a GM, because those are the areas where I relax and joke around with my friends. I kind of just expect myself to be professional whenever I feel I'm representing the server. If I want to just fool around on the actual server, or on the server forums, I do so through a separate character/account as to conceal my identity~ (That's also why my character names are different from my GM name.)

laklaker

Quote from: Yukino on Mar 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
As probably all would say, GMs/Forum Moderators have to act accordingly and professionally in-game and on server forums/chatboxes/ventrilo/IRC/TeamSpeak/etc that is a public representation of the server.

However, what would you consider beyond all of that? Does a GM/Forum Moderator still have to talk professionally and not share strong, personal, emotional feelings with fellow players and other people on other ways of communication such as MsN, emails, private ventrilo servers (of the GMs and such), and the like?

Furthermore, should such proofs be used in proving the bad behaviour, etc of the staff member (another question)?

What do you all think?

This would be depends on your co-staff or players in the server. Sometimes people are too boastful that you can't talk to them because they always trashtalk but in if the people is kind or always in a good attitude you can share your private things but just to keep it on the limit.