Admins, GMs, etc. playing on a RO server

Started by MrrgleCaek, Dec 20, 2007, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hutchy

I still think corruption can be easily avoided by not giving your staff commands that can cause imbalance when abused. Abusing mute can be dealt with, abusing jail can be dealt with, etc. But take away @item and check your logs and you prettymuch guarantee that your GMs can't aid their legits. :x

Mewi

Quote from: Hutchy on Sep 09, 2008, 10:08 AM
I still think corruption can be easily avoided by not giving your staff commands that can cause imbalance when abused. Abusing mute can be dealt with, abusing jail can be dealt with, etc. But take away @item and check your logs and you prettymuch guarantee that your GMs can't aid their legits. :x

Or do the smart thing and just disable them from being able to drop/trade/store items, and do not allow #item o.o ;p

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Mamimi

Quote from: Mewi on Sep 10, 2008, 03:07 AM
disable them from being able to drop/trade/store items, and do not allow #item o.o ;p

Only thing with that is, on our server all of our GMs do events. We're required to make a post on the GM forum about it though, what items were used in the event etc.

well they can still do lots of corrupt things even without item commands,
ie. tanking, MvP/WoE scouting, etc etc

so simply restricting the commands doesn't always work @_@

Mamimi

That's why you have to hire GM's that you trust. :D

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Sep 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
well they can still do lots of corrupt things even without item commands,
ie. tanking, MvP/WoE scouting, etc etc

so simply restricting the commands doesn't always work @_@

Limiting their stats to extremely low,  like 1 and cap their levels at 99 prevents tanking ;p

x3 but then comes the "i can't tank bots" thing XD
but ya... its all just a matter of trust i guess @_@

Mewi

Quote from: JJJ on Sep 11, 2008, 06:55 PM
x3 but then comes the "i can't tank bots" thing XD
but ya... its all just a matter of trust i guess @_@

Suspect everything worth suspecting and your server will be in harmony ;p

Lai

Hi, well, in my case.
I had to quit playing my legit :P

It's hard when there is several ppl spreading rumors without any proof.
That is really a pain, they keep telling new players etc for a period.
But, guess what, now it's all fine.
Because I quit playing the game, so called "legit".

Which, kinda made alot players happier, because I dont know, I guess I was some kind of challange for them.

PS. I dont have any god items or mvp cards :P I got once a Tao Gunka card, but I sold it to NPC because...yea you know :P

But, now its alot less pain :P
It actually gives you alot more time, to do other things.
Plus, ppl respect you more, since you are the "Administrator" character all the time.

=)

Poki

There's nothing unfair for a GM who has decided to become a GM to the server...
Plus, as an admin, I wouldn't advise hiring legit players in becoming a GM, doesn't seem to be professional in my opinion.

Anyways, please so keep in mind that it would be best for the server if the GM did not have a legit character. Why? Simply because it's the GM who decided to become a GM and it is most likely a better approach for the server to know that the server does not consist of any GMs with legit characters.

Of course... I guess it's up to how the administrator of the server wants to handle his or her server.

Hutchy

It definitely depends on what kind of server you run. If you want your staff to form friendships with the players, asking them not to have a legit is ludicrous. Tons of players are afraid of GMs - saying the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing. They fear punishment, and GMs can dole out said punishment. Good luck getting an honest opinion from a player if you have "GM" in front of your name.

If the GMs are used solely for keeping the playerbase in line, then yeah, I see the no-legit rule. But I think it makes the server stronger as a whole to know who's watching over them.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends what kind of server you're talking about. :x

Dove

Well... I can't say I have much experience GMing, really, but on the server I'm currently working on building we have a fairly strict policy with our legitimate characters.

I would love to be able to have an open legitimate on server without any conflict, but past experience as a regular player has shown me that frankly it just causes a lot of undue suspicion and drama. And having been on two servers now with a corrupt GM team, I'd just rather not give players any reason to believe they're suffering a repeat.

So the general policy we have is that if we choose to have a legitimate character, it is to be kept secret from the general public. It's not the best solution, but its working fairly decently for us at this time. If people discover this character and don't complain, we go about as normal, but with view equipment turned on at ALL times as a form of proof that we are, in fact, legitimate. If they discover a GM legit somehow and do complain or raise a fuss about any form of illegitimacy, we delete the legit.

It's just easier for keeping the peace, even if it's not always the most... exciting or fun choice for the GM team itself. :/

But that's just been my general experience with it all. We'll see how well it works out, ney?

Descent

How many topics are we going to have on this subject...? And how many of us are going to repeat the SAME EXACT THING EACH TIME.

Hutchy

Quote from: Descent on Oct 14, 2008, 07:17 AM
How many topics are we going to have on this subject...? And how many of us are going to repeat the SAME EXACT THING EACH TIME.

More and more and more will be made unless we remove everyone from the internet.
And the same thing will be said each time until people get over themselves and realize someone else already said what they were about to say, and that they don't need to post in the topic.

XDDD

Ayu

that, or mouRO comes in to say, "SCREW THE GMS" which in a way they do since they have none  :P