Admins, GMs, etc. playing on a RO server

Started by MrrgleCaek, Dec 20, 2007, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrrgleCaek

I've seen some discussions about the whole, if you may call it, debate on a GM having a legitimate character to PLAY on a RO server. For me personally, I have made a legit account on my server and have played around on my server like any other player on it when I have the free time. I don't see why I would make a RO server, than all of a sudden not to be able to play the server itself due to I would instantly become "corrupt".

Just wondering...why should it be wrong for someone who does server side work on a RO server NOT be entitled to play it after the work they've put in to it? Is it due to the majority of Private RO server owners are unproffessional, immature,tend to tinker with their "legit" chars to be the strongest among the community and so in turn people now have this strong unease seeing a GM or admin playing on the RO server with a non-GM account? Shouldn't it be the GM/admins responsibility to know from playing the game as is, and helping out on the server with their given GM level instead of personal gain?
Bleh...I'd love to hear opinions from other GMs.

Pow

I believe that it is fine for a GM / Admin to have a legitimate character / account, as long as everything is kept separate.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Inanna

I don't really see the debate on it, I mean, why would they host a game that they can't, themselves, enjoy?

Keeping things seperate is a good thing, plus, for me I wonder why would you take and make your own items? That takes the challenge, and thus the fun out of the game. I play the game to PLAY the game, because it's boring if you can have every item at your fingertips, kill everything with no challenge. That takes the fun out for me.

Frankly, I'd find it really, odd if someone was like "I see no reason to play this game at all, but, I'm going to GM it."

To me a GM having a legitimate character says "Yes, I love this game as much as you do." so it's natural for them to have legit accounts.

Support GM/Moderator at Paper RO.
We have awesome events coming up! :)

imo its find as long as they dun:

tell other ppl that they have a legit
brag to other ppl that there GMs
and the usual dun use the GMs to lvl/get items/abuse their power and stuff like that~

MrrgleCaek

yeah...I prefer to be a legitimate char myself xD, being an admin is so god damned boring, you just sit there, type in @reloadscript a few times, than deal with kids asking for things they can look up themselves about. More or less I find GMs that are at a young age or are immature tend to ruin the seperation factor between legit and their GM abilities.
....looks like there's not much of a "debate" about this after all...mabye it's more of the little kiddies with their E-drama that they complain about GMs having an actual RO character to play on.
@JJJ: why would it be wrong for a GM to talk about their legit character to others? Other people talk about their RO characters all the time, why not er, us? Are people really that judgmental going like "omgar, he prolly used his GM char tu make his itemz"?

Quote from: MrrgleCaek on Dec 20, 2007, 10:34 PM
@JJJ: why would it be wrong for a GM to talk about their legit character to others? Other people talk about their RO characters all the time, why not er, us? Are people really that judgmental going like "omgar, he prolly used his GM char tu make his itemz"?

well its just from my experence that if someone knows a GM has a char that GM goes under major fire...
such as "hax me items" and "you lvl too fast you must be cheating" and things like that it happens alot to the GMs i no so i guess it kinda is nescasary...

but the ppl that do it basically dun care bout if they GM does it or not they just want to insult the GMs and such but thats just what i've noticed~
so its more of a thing to help the GM then the player

and i should mention not by not talking bout their char i ment that they shouldn't mention their char name XD

Zone

I don't take the time to make legits, too busy working on the server.
Always something you can do.

MrrgleCaek

Yeah...I'm too busy working my server as well than actually being able to play on it alot, I just hate all the repitition involved with scripting everything and planning things out...I just prefer to play than work :P, although creating things on a RO server would be considered play time as well, funny o_O.

@JJJ: Oh, I see what you mean now xD;

Pow

Quote from: JJJ on Dec 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
Quote from: MrrgleCaek on Dec 20, 2007, 10:34 PM

well its just from my experence that if someone knows a GM has a char that GM goes under major fire...
such as "hax me items" and "you lvl too fast you must be cheating" and things like that it happens alot to the GMs i no so i guess it kinda is nescasary...

but the ppl that do it basically dun care bout if they GM does it or not they just want to insult the GMs and such but thats just what i've noticed~
so its more of a thing to help the GM then the player

and i should mention not by not talking bout their char i ment that they shouldn't mention their char name XD

Right, but if you have already established yourself inside the community - not only as  GM but also as a player, this kind of issue never arises.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Quote from: Pow on Dec 21, 2007, 12:41 AM
Right, but if you have already established yourself inside the community - not only as  GM but also as a player, this kind of issue never arises.

ya i guess... but how offten does that even happen?~

Mewi

While I do agree that GMs can have legits,  there will have to be extreme rules to it...  I do not believe that GMs on legit chars should not be able to gather all in one single guild... This just leads to corruption 9 times out of 10.  A GM that has more time for their legit/guild than they do their GM duties is a GM who shouldn't have power.  Responsibility comes to those who use it, not to those who put it on other people's shoulders...  In other words... if there is GMing to be done, then that should be priority 1 above all other RO related things.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

MrrgleCaek

Extreme rules? o_o, I dunno...to me, having a legit char means your own playing the server for the game, I find the huge problem of staff or a server owner being corrupt is that they are too young and too immature to take on the responsibilities of a real GM (had firsthand experience of this happening with some staff members I hired), they tend to always want to be controlling or powerful to ease their insecurity of being "young and inexperienced" or whatever the hell children have needs for nowadays...
But yeah Mewi, you're right, most of the time us GMs are too busy with tasks on the server to handle to be able to have so much time to play through the server well enough anyway :P

pupu

I would rather join a server without any GMs with legit characters. Cheaters or not cheaters, they'd bring drama. I've been through a lot of crap with GMs using "legit" characters. A majority of them aren't actually legit. Even if they seem like they're not, they most likely are.

Anybody would do it.

If you're not actually that kind of person, and you dedicated person with your legit character and you have too much pride to cheat with your GM account, then you still shouldn't make a legit character. If you truly care about your own server, then you wouldn't make a legit character, that is, if you know for a fact that making legit characters when you're a GM, would actually cause drama.
wat

Mewi

Quote from: pupu on Dec 23, 2007, 08:32 PM
I would rather join a server without any GMs with legit characters. Cheaters or not cheaters, they'd bring drama. I've been through a lot of crap with GMs using "legit" characters. A majority of them aren't actually legit. Even if they seem like they're not, they most likely are.

Anybody would do it.

If you're not actually that kind of person, and you dedicated person with your legit character and you have too much pride to cheat with your GM account, then you still shouldn't make a legit character. If you truly care about your own server, then you wouldn't make a legit character, that is, if you know for a fact that making legit characters when you're a GM, would actually cause drama.

You have not been a GM have you?  Sometimes you want to socialize and be part of the community without being flooded with 50 questions for just signing in...  If a GM is going to cheat on her/his legit then that GM is already corrupted and furthermore it has little to do with the legit char, but it has more to do with the actual person behind the sprite.  If that same GM was not allowed to have a legit then that GM would still be corrupted anyway...   Also, If you made it so GMs could not have a legit then they will be a great deal less active, especially when an emergency arises, they'll play OTHER RO servers... Which is a conflict of interest...

Just to point out... as GMs we are not robots, we are just people.  There may be corrupted GMs but there are good ones too.  Plenty have legits and have never cheated...  while there is plenty who do cheat, but that is all the responsibility of the server admin.   I am not saying corrupt GMs are good, infact I spent a great deal of time fighting corrupt GMs... But the fact is that when you take away GMs freedoms and treat them as robots... you take away a lot of themselves that made the server good.  But in my opinion the idea of preventing GMs from having a legit is un-equal/discriminatory and even corrupt.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

MrrgleCaek

Quote from: pupu on Dec 23, 2007, 08:32 PM

Anybody would do it.

Don't forget, GMs are humans too o.o, would you like to deal with idiot after idiot everyday and not get to play here and there on your free time? Drama does not exist for those with mature minds.
And yeah...Mewi and Serenity pretty much explain right there why GMs deserve to have legit characters to play on...