Admin VS GM

Started by devilsnevercry, Aug 12, 2009, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilsnevercry

Just wondering which of the two seem more fit as an Admin/staff member even though one is an Admin and another only hired to script and all.

Description of the staff member in the staff list:

Name: Admin
Graphic Artist & Events/Support | Ideas generation

Name: GM
Head Gamemaster | Server manager & Scripter

Background on both:

Admin:
Has access to GM lvl 99 Character. Suppose to be handling sprites/ideas/ customs+effects, though been working on them for months. At one point noted they were leaving the server and all technically did quit. Has no knowledge of how to script or actually work on the server to fix anything. Has no access to any of the server files. Had to call on help from the GM to help out with working a command and asking about different commands. During their time of "quitting" they maintained a hidden eye on the forums. Told players that the GM disabled yggs in woe way before he actually did, with other stories that were way off. Thus creating some heavy drama for the server and the GM who was fixing and implementing a lot of things. Doesn't understand much and when they can't understand what your saying(goes over their head) you don't know how to talk/your an idiot.

GM:
Has access to a GM lvl 80 Character. Handles scripting, developing and making the changes that the players want(within reason). Very knowledgeable when it comes to RO keeping balances, how to play classes rather well. Had been flamed for months, for when the GM had punished players that were breaking the rules and would then mute the player when they got onto another character to just bash and flame(after GM asked them to stop). Has access to server files and can restart server etc whenever its needed. Tries to keep communication between the staff somewhat active so everybody is on the same level, even though was told he can easily be replaced and to basically kill himself from the above Admin, still tries to dev for the sever.

P.S. The GM was asked to look for people for the server and was even asked if they could do work on the server while on a vacation cruise with family.

Kinda long and all, but yeah input on what people think.
Quote from: CuTeBoi on Sep 04, 2009, 02:24 PM
  Will the donors complain? maybe, but they aren't what run my network, I run it, and so does my blood and sweat.

Luna~

It really depends on the server.

I'm the Admin of CharmRO. I do client work, server work, web work.

The GMs are support GMs. Help with Technical problems, Host Events (which I do also. ;) )

Some Admins do absolutely nothing and make GMs work their asses off.

devilsnevercry

Well i mean that admin is out of three. There is the Owner who pays for the server and knows how to work with the server no knowledge on how to play. Web designer that is hella inactive. and then that admin who is meant for ideas and "support/events" though stating they quit. Which I should add in to my first post, was asked to do the work of the other admin's and even asked if they could get work done while on a vacation cruise.
  Will the donors complain? maybe, but they aren't what run my network, I run it, and so does my blood and sweat.

Zelos

Like LunaCharm said, it depends on what server your working on. If it's a huge population, I'd go with a Support/Event GM. If it's a fairly large server, I'd probably do either or.

Green

I'd go with the Technical one.

The Event doesn't seem too reliable, in all honesty. And sounds like they incite more drama than they fix.

The Tech GM looks like they have shown they can work through drama and people being arses quite decently.

devilsnevercry

Funny thing the tech got fired just recently, chose the other since she is "needed" more for some reason.

Lost~Dreams

Doesn't matter what server it is. Rank is rank, A Event GM can't come in and after 2 Days demand to tell a Admin what to do. Even if your HGM You can't come in and presume to tell an Admin what to do Or how to do their job it is not your concern your lower in the food chain and thus

Admin > HGM.

I suggest if your the HGM Then you go to who ever is in charge "Server Owner". And go over the Admin's head, If the Admin your screwing with is the server owner then i suggest you sit down and do your job and not complain

[color=green]Your/You're.

I did ask to keep this thread clean and mature.., don't go there by bypassing the filter + calling people names.

456450456884649856 day warn Ps. I love you Lost~Dreams -Relics[/color]

Zone

How about pay for a bunch of servers, pay for scripts, and have the other staff run the server?
Sounds like win to me.

adhelle

It depends, in my case I'm Admin and owner at the same time.
I do the scripts and hard stuff.

have 2 Gms for Event and 2 for support.

I think the best option is yourself learning how to admin.

Metafalica

I don't think its that difficult to cover all areas. It doesn't require much brain power. Just be nice, don't be corrupt, listen to your members and keep in mind that RO is meant to be fun for everyone for a long time not just one day.

Scifo

Quote from: Luna~ on Aug 12, 2009, 02:48 PM
It really depends on the server.

I'm the Admin of CharmRO. I do client work, server work, web work.

The GMs are support GMs. Help with Technical problems, Host Events (which I do also. ;) )

Some Admins do absolutely nothing and make GMs work their asses off.

I know this topic is considered "old" but its right smack in the middle of the first page!

But I got to agree with this.. many Admins don't do squat other then emot and abuse their powers in-game by creating so called "legits" and killing everyone's PvP/WoE spirit by over dominating :(

"[color=red]Courage,[/color] is the magic that turns dreams into reality."

Astraliche

It can be the other way around too.

Mewi

If you want to avoid corruption and obvious screwups,  separate your development team and GM team into two different WorkGroups.

This way an EliteDeveloper, but nooby GM can't cause unwanted drama.  Of course some developers will require GM access, but separating them from the policies / rule enforcement will help your server prosper.

Not to mention this also gives your developers more time to actually do their job, instead of messing around with GM powers, and dealing with GM roles on your server.

On a personal note:  If I had a dime for every time an inexperienced admin/developer interfered with my job as a GM... I'd be a millionaire.

Becoming a GM means you sacrifice a part of your soul forever, be prepared.

Lucian

I do both, more GM than Administrator though.

Metafalica

This topic is like a year old. Let it die.