War of Emperium ~ Tournament 2009

Started by yC, Jul 14, 2009, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiddenDragon

Sounds like a ripoff of the "Super WoE" Terra-Gaming held in june, exactly 1 month ago. Here is a screenshot:

LiteX

Quote from: HiddenDragon on Jul 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a ripoff of the "Super WoE" Terra-Gaming held in june, exactly 1 month ago. Here is a screenshot:

Technically, this is a super WoE championship between servers...
ライテ‐エクス

HiddenDragon

Actually, it was a cross server WoE :(

Guilds from EternityRO and EssenceRO were there, and a LOT of other servers I couldn't remember. I had to help the admin modify his server to exceed 1k connections because terra-gaming never had anywhere close to that number of players on their servers ^^

Omi

Can vouch for HiddenDragon, since I was there, but even then, 2 years ago there was an event like this called "ArenaRO" where people were given instant 90/60 characters and guilds were given RWC styled loot in their storages when created, and a week to hunt additional gears / cards / levels.

The problem I see with this event is all the major guilds are leaving RO lately, so it won't be as great as previous competitions, and the other is that it's run by the FeelRO team, and everyone who plays there can vouch they will need to deal with a lot of hosting and connection issures before this starts.

Descent

Just goes to show you, give something good, and people will complain.

Why are we complaining about this? RMS isn't saying "GO JOIN FEEL RO!" or anything of the like.

To be honest, I've known about this for a bit and have kept quiet, because yC didn't want it to look like RMS is advertising on FeelRO's behalf.

So one staff took the initiative and have the stones to get the ball rolling. Yet, if it were anybody else, you guys would still complain.

Word wouldn't have gotten out if nothing was said about it, and this is the one really good thing to come out of RO private servers these days, yet people will still piss on it. Absolutely fantastic.

Omi

Uh, what.  All I'm saying is that the FeelRO administration have a nack for picking servers and hosts that can't handle the amount of users expected and have latencies that are good for one particular area, i.e where it's hosted.

HiddenDragon

Quote from: Descent on Jul 15, 2009, 09:04 AMWord wouldn't have gotten out if nothing was said about it, and this is the one really good thing to come out of RO private servers these days, yet people will still piss on it. Absolutely fantastic.

This is not quite correct - Terra-gaming only has ~200 players yet they were able to get the word out and ended up with over 1k participants without an announcement from RMS. FeelRO is many times the size and probably has a larger and more capable staff.

If it's a good enough thing, people WILL spread the word - RMS does not have to risk looking like it's advertising on FeelRO's behalf.

DeePee

Quote from: Descent on Jul 15, 2009, 09:04 AM
Just goes to show you, give something good, and people will complain.

Why are we complaining about this? RMS isn't saying "GO JOIN FEEL RO!" or anything of the like.

To be honest, I've known about this for a bit and have kept quiet, because yC didn't want it to look like RMS is advertising on FeelRO's behalf.

So one staff took the initiative and have the stones to get the ball rolling. Yet, if it were anybody else, you guys would still complain.

Word wouldn't have gotten out if nothing was said about it, and this is the one really good thing to come out of RO private servers these days, yet people will still piss on it. Absolutely fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is good. Great even!

However, I'm just saying that I personally think that RMS should stay a neutral place and that doing things like this kinda messes that up. There are other ways to get people to join your tournament y'know. Emailing server owners, anyone?

Green

It does seem a bit like an advert. Not from RMS, but from Feel. XD
But oh well.

I'm supposing they won't allow spectators? Darn.

Flare Ember

Yah, I'm kinda iffy on the whole nuetrality/purpose of it.

Part of me is screaming holy crap this is an awesome, while the other is whispering couldn't this be a veiled attempt at Server Advertisement (on Feel's part not RMS).  Granted it's not like they're saying "Join us and do this" but it's the saying any publicity is good publicity.

It would have my unconditional support if they had set up another site then linked to it.  Separate site detailed what it was, rules, client download etc with a special credits/run by page for FeelRO. 

But I digress, at its core, this truly does have the potential to be entirely epic, let's see how it goes, and if all goes well tweaks can be done for similar future events.

Flare Ember

I won't say it's not similar to corporate sponsorship.  However it's more like going to a Basketball Game and seeing the full menu from burger king posted about, instead of just the burger king logo.

Overall, don't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose.  As I said, I love the idea so there won't be anything of that nature coming from me, I just disagree with how they are doing it, regardless of how happy I am for them actually doing it.

Descent

Sigh. And my point still stands.

Get off your high horses. Again, if it was another Admin doing this, you people would still complain.

RMS is GIVING you an OPPORTUNITY, a great Networking Opportunity between servers, and after reading this, if I were the organizers, I wouldn't want to do it if this is how you people approach it.

I speak on behalf of myself and NOT RMS(even though I am a moderator), but yC is doing a good thing by notifying you guys of it via her site. Just because she's shedding light on it doesn't scream bias. If that were the case, every server that gets delisted could play that card.

Honestly, you people will ruin this. I don't speak on behalf of RMS NOR do I play or want to play FeelRO. But this is something that would be nice to the community, and yet again...more pissing on it due to semantics.

And yet, the same people will complain that "nothing new is going on" and RO is boring, but as soon as somebody puts something new, cue the peanut gallery to make a big deal of it.

Let's put this question on the table: If RMS WEREN'T to say anything about it, would you even know it exists? Let's hear some VALID arguments, not some nonsensical situations. If you can't come up with anything valid, you're full of yourself.

Green

Quote from: Descent on Jul 15, 2009, 12:22 PM

Again, if it was another Admin doing this, you people would still complain.

We know we would.
XD

People are complaining about the advertising feeling. Not who is doing it. =P

Edit;
Word of mouth between friends.
Feel iRO's own advertising banners on sites.
Youtube videos (as lots of WoEers watch those for WoE videos, anyway).
MSN/Facebook/whatever statuses.

yC

Yea DeePee and others, your concerns is my concerns too.  I talked to a few ppl include my staff before if doing this will "hurt" RMS or the like.  That is why I ask if RMS should help public this kind of event in the future.  I'll take your input and consider it further if there's anything similar in the future.  The current page and button stays because I agreed to help and I truely wish it will be successful.  

I wrote the separate page is because I wouldn't want to put it as a front page announcement, that might really be too much "advertising" for the server.  I consider the separate page as a bridge between RMS and the event.  If you read the page (and see it is organized by another server) and decided to join that's good, otherwise you are feel to stay on the RMS site and browse around.  I am not sending people directly to their page to sign up or anything.  I want my visitors to know what is it before they decide.  I hope you see I did try to avoid the "advertisement" call and I expect opinions from all sides.  

The current setup will be here for roughly 2 weeks, so please bear with it.  If it goes well, I will make a front page announcement of the winners etc so other servers might consider hosting something for the community in the future.

Another note is, I did asked for a detailed plan, staff resources, server resources etc before I agree to help in publicity.

Green

Quote from: Omi on Jul 15, 2009, 09:07 AM
Uh, what.  All I'm saying is that the FeelRO administration have a nack for picking servers and hosts that can't handle the amount of users expected and have latencies that are good for one particular area, i.e where it's hosted.

From what I just got told, FeelRO used to lag quite badly normally.
Will be interesting to see how they host this.