New Moderator & Shout Box

Started by yC, Apr 20, 2009, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yC

First, as many of you can see the shout box is back into the forum in another form.  It might not be as good as the previous one (or you will need some time to get used to it).  At least this one disallows member under moderated or muted warning status from making a shout.  It shall help us to keep a friendly atmosphere in the shout box.  Once again, please refrain from making any member feel bad/insulted/horrified on the shout box.  Treat other the way you want to be treated.

Second, it seems to me (and my staff) that members are demanding a higher level of freedom at certain sections of the forum.  It is almost clear to me that the way we use to monitor the forum as a whole does not work well in sections where heavy debates take place.  I really don't have a problem with the debates until I start to get MSN/PM that require my attention to topics.  That is where problem starts, I am not really willing to take the time to read often 5+ pages of argument (in full, to be sure everyone gets their share of punishment whenever they are supposed to.).  So the judgment could be way off than expected if I have to use the fewest time to put an end to the issue.  Anyway, I am sorry about that because of the lack of time and attention given to problems. 

Usually I stick around Server Report, Suggestion, Support and RMS Test Server Sections.  I leave the rest of the forum to JJJ/Pow as much as I could.  I understand the complains made on JJJ and thought through them.  I don't agree he has to be removed, he's the most helpful and most active in the staff team.  The conflict between him the complaining members, I can only say that he might be too nice and thus isn't suitable to handle heavy debate drama-style topics the way the forum members wish to be handled.

To fill in this gap, I am glad Descent accepted my invitation to be the moderator for the Hall of Shame and Soap Opera sections of the forum.  He will have the power to control and issue punishment in any incident within those two section of the forum.  I hope members can use this opportunity to welcome Descent as a new staff and let him lead the said sections to the next level of glory. 

I believe this is the best for the forum.  JJJ will do his job like usual without the headache of handling the Hall of Shame / Soap Opera sections.  While Descent who we can trust him with our right to free speech will guard the two sections for us.

The forum will still need more staff to improve, so if you think you have the ability to be a moderator or a sectional moderator.  Do not hesitate to pm me your resume.  We don't have a set format required, but you will need to tell us your background with RO servers (i.e. do you run/gm/own any server etc).  Due to the nature the site/forum content, for fairness purposes.

That's it for now. 

- yC

P.S.  Might as well note that the site and forum will be moving to a new host some time this week.  I am thinking maybe Wednesday or Thursday.  During those time the forum and site reviewing functions will be locked to prevent data loss.

It has recently come to my attention that a new member will be added to the Rate My Server Moderation Team and as such I here by resign.

Originally I was asked by yC to be a moderator on these forums to enforce the rules she had set out for them. But at this point a member which has broken many of these rules is about to become a part of the Moderation Team. So as such I'm writing to notify you as to the reason why I will be resigning from the Rate My Server forums Moderation Team.

The reason for this action is rather simple, I refuse to have a member that has received innumerable amounts of warns on the Moderation Team, not only does that strike me as a horrible idea I do not believe in giving someone who openly insults people any sort of power. I personally hold no ill will towards any such member but it is simply a condition I will not abide with and since I cannot abide with it I will be removing my self from the Moderation Team. I also hold no ill will towards any of those who helped in the process through which this member was given this power it is simply just something I cannot stand by and watch.

I will say that it has been a wonderful two years that I have spent on the Rate My Server forums and it was a pleasure to converse with all of you. But to the greatest of my sorrows I will no longer be visiting you all and would like to say my final good bye.

If you would like to keep in touch with me, all my contact information can be found in my profile.

I wish you all the best.
See ya~

Hutchy

The above post is just asking to be trolled.

Happy to see Descent on staff, though.

Descent

Sigh. I was completely willing to put everything aside and work with JJJ. Unfortunately, looks like that won't happen.

Take care of yourself.

SilverStream~

Question;

Was the position Decent now has gotten based on a "Do you think you can do the job better?", or did you talk to him in extent about it.

As JJJ said, this is a user who has gotten numerous warnings.  Even though I have a feeling he will attempt to be professional about this, there is a big part of me that says this is a no no.

"You don't open the gate for the wolf who is barking at the kids."

I really hope he is under some kind of supervision by Pow.

This is not.. the way it should be done, atleast in my eyes.

However, I can see the situation from yC's side.  Descent has been pestering the moderators about this for a very long time, and claiming alot of things of being bad moderation.
Now he get's the opportunity to do a better job himself.

It's sad to say, but now that JJJ is gone we might get less "Don't spam guys ^^ <3" posts in debates/discussions.

As I said, I really, really hope Descent is willing to take this seriously, and act like a moderator should act.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A92FL0163

Quote from: SilverStream~ on Apr 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
As JJJ said, this is a user who has gotten numerous warnings.

Which, if I can point out, were also given by JJJ, through some were really serious warnings about his attitudes, other were just bad judgement from JJJ side, some other were given by yC and Pow, but mostly were JJJ doing his job very nicely*. While I may agree that having someone who has been warned countless times is strange, I do believe Descent will do a nice job on the section he was given, since he does bother reading all the discussion and not only "be nice lol no spam hihi  :-X". Like I was told to give another chance to JJJ redeem himself as doing a good job moderating, I'll also give a chance to Descent prove himself a good moderator.

Either way, JJJ is gone and Descent is a Hall of Shame/Soap Opera Moderator. Pow seems to be more active and so is yC. There is a user opinion thread also, if Descent don't act like a moderator, we can always kick him.

Seems RMS is fine at the moment, that's my opinion considering all the storm that has been happening.

P.S: *Not.

P.S2: SilverStream~: I would also be sad with JJJ not leaving us more "^_^ kawaii" messages at discussion threads, but my posts were all deleted even if they were on topic. Some of my posts are offtopic and I admit them being deleted, others are not and yet they are deleted as well. But I agree with how you're feeling too. Also, about the kawaii posts, we still got the Nekomimi girl.

Hutchy

After speaking to him at length in several MSN chats and seeing how he administrated his own (albeit shortlived) server, I have no doubts about his competency, which is more than I can say for JJJ.

If he screws s*** up, I'm sure he'll get the axe. Looks like things are turning around on good ol' RMS.

Descent

Quote from: SilverStream~ on Apr 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Question;

Was the position Decent now has gotten based on a "Do you think you can do the job better?", or did you talk to him in extent about it.

This was discussed in detail with both yC and Pow, I even asked the following two questions rather frequently through our conversations...

"But...why me?" and "You're sure about this." I, of course, will not speak on either yC's or Pow's behalf, maybe they will come into this thread and answer those questions.

QuoteAs JJJ said, this is a user who has gotten numerous warnings.  Even though I have a feeling he will attempt to be professional about this, there is a big part of me that says this is a no no.

No way to know until it happens, I'd guess. All past between us aside, I hope you can look at least past that, I mean, we've been on rather good terms since.

QuoteI really hope he is under some kind of supervision by Pow.

The term in use is "Local Moderator". Pow is Global Moderator, yC, Administrator. So yes, I'd say I'm lowest on the totem pole, here.

QuoteAs I said, I really, really hope Descent is willing to take this seriously, and act like a moderator should act.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Zone

Makes no difference for me.

yC

The reason to bring in Descent is outlined in the first post.

I am very sorry that JJJ decided to leave the team, I wish he can stay and we can all work together.  Anyway, I'll take that as JJJ's summer vacation.  One day he might be back, or not.  =/

Zelos

Good luck Descent, and goodbye 3J.

Zone

I'm just laughing over this.

Poki

@JJJ: Goodbye JJJ, hope to see you back and running.

@Descent: Congratulations Descent.  Hope you banish some idiots.

@Zone: Yeah.  Me too.

TheWingless

I know how you feel JJJ... It's only people who puts pride and honor in what they're doing would understand... Sometimes, you need to give yourself a break. Whether or not you find the resolve to come back, you will always know, you did the best job you could. Be proud of it...

Hope to see you around...

Winnin813

Makes no difference to me.

RMS is still a safe haven in the private RO world where players can openly discuss their feelings about a server without the fear of being banned.

Congradulations to Descent on the new position, use it well.

17dD

Congrats for who be a new moderator o_o

Scars

Quote from: Poki on Apr 22, 2009, 01:47 PM
@JJJ: Goodbye JJJ, hope to see you back and running.

@Descent: Congratulations Descent.  Hope you banish some idiots.

@Zone: Yeah.  Me too.

I've facepalmed when this happen.

No offense to Descent.